Will a .177 pellet gun kill squirrels? Range?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for fun, for home protection. I cant leave the windows open, the Gray squirrels will come in through the kitchen screens. The reds chew through pine and ruin everything in their path. I want something with a max range of a 100 feet. I really would like a .22, but don't need law and neighbor troubles.

It depends on the gun. 700+fps is a good start. .177 doesn't keep energy as well as heavier pellets, so by 50ft you are dropping off a lot. Use the heaviest pellets you can find. Crosman Premier Hollow Points are about the best at Walmart, but some sporting goods stores have heavier.

MA state law bans leg traps. I have had limited success with live traps. And I still have to kill the thing, because I can't re-locate a wild animal. This is something I may as well make halfway sporting. 50 yds is plenty of range. Considering a multi pump or CO2 for some velocity.

Thirty years ago I used to use a Crosman air rifle to kill squirrels, using the old style .177 lead pellets. Ammo has improved since then. I'd estimate the kill range at less than 75 feet.

I tried leaving the carcasses around the tree (next to my house) as a deterrent to other squirrels using the tree. That never worked. They are nothing but rats with bushy tails.

I have killed about 50 rock squirrels over the last few years, with both .177 and BBs. Pellets have roughly double the range, with the same gun. Head shot is much preferred.

They get pretty good at spotting you, after they see their brethren go, or get shot at themselves. Best strategy is to just sneak in from downwind, set up and wait. With the rock variety, you have to get good at spotting the tops of their heads coming out of a hole. The ravens wait for dinner, when they see me with the rifle.

Home Depot plaster of paris. Not the hobby shop kind. mixed 50% with the cheapest, (most hydrogenated) peanut butter you can find. rolled into a ball tslightly larger than a large mrble. Placed in plastic bags with holes in them, placed strategically around the property.

Originally Posted By: jrustles
They say squirrel is "the best meat in the woods"

This is what people I know who hunt squirrel say.
I wonder if you can reliably get a head shot with a .177?

The Gamo .177 pellet with scope can consistently take a gray tree rat out at 50 yards with proper sighting in of the scope.

As the youngest of ten, squirrel like other wildlife was classified under if you're hungry, you'll eat anything. It also relates to those classy palate tales of wildlife that says, "it's good, tastes just like chicken" I am grateful that if I need to eat something like chicken, it will be chicken. Frog legs come to mind.

As in shooting skills, the maximum effective range of an excuse is zero meters. I was told about that over and over again years ago somewhere.

I have never seen a pellet rifle that would kill consistently at 50 yards. That is a very good shot even with a regular .22 rifle. Sure it'd be possible with practice though. I'd say 25yrd with a .177 pellet would be a much more reliable killing distance.

What the point in killing them? Any relief will be temporary, you cant be sitting there with you air rifle all the time.
More will come, find a better solution like an outdoor cat or better yet try to attract an owl.

I have large Hawk living here in one of the large trees and no rodents, the place is squirrel and chipmunk free, not many birds either.

http://birding.about.com/od/Specific-Birds/a/How-To-Attract-Owls.htm

Originally Posted By: andyd
MA state law bans leg traps. I have had limited success with live traps. And I still have to kill the thing, because I can't re-locate a wild animal.

Why can't you relocate? Drive 10 miles out to the woods and let them out of the cage. I doubt they will migrate back 10 miles to their former home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back