Extended interval oil filter advice for a Focus

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter plans to take one of the cars out of state for school. Despite how may reminders I give, it may be 2 years and as many as 20,000 miles before it gets an oil change. My 2002 Focus had to endure that for years with conventional oil, and still runs, but I really want to try to do better for this car in case it does get neglected. I plan to use a full synthetic oil.

The oil filter is where I need advice. Any recommendations for a good filter?
The car is a 2001 Focus with a DOHC Ztec and 220k miles. Based on past usage and knowing the lower it gets the faster it gets low, I figure it would be almost a quart low at 20k miles. So far the only filter I have seen for the DOHC is the Mobil 1 EP M1-211 that they claim is good for 15k miles.
Fram does not list an Ultra Synthetic filter for the 2.0 Ztec. I have seen on here that some have used the xg3600 for the SOHC engine with good results. The bypass rating is 2 psi lower on the xx3600 series of Fram filters. Could that make much of a difference If the oil and filter are run too long? Any other filters I should consider? I almost got the Mobil 1 EP filter, but since the car isn't leaving for a month, and the filter is not on sale, I figured I would ask for opinions here first while I look for a deal.

For the price and apparent quality I don't see anything besting Fram Ultra. Maybe give Fram a call or e-mail to see if there is one you could use. Or stick with M1. But 2 years and 20k is, for me, waaay to scary territory.

Last edited:
This is foolish. Just have her take the car in for an oil change every 7500 miles.Not a big deal for anyone.

Originally Posted By: Lubener
This is foolish. Just have her take the car in for an oil change every 7500 miles.Not a big deal for anyone.

you say not a big deal, but as the OP mentioned, Some Folks, no matter how many times they are reminded, either can't be bothered, or will say, "I'll get around to it" forever...
he's just trying to be proactive.

Doesn't Amsoil rate their stuff for like 25k mi?
anyone list a bypass filter setup for this engine?

Amsoil, like most others, limits their applications to "... or one year" ... The risk here is not what product to select, but where the warranty expires. No product line I know of is going to allow a 2 year O/FCI and cover it.

I find it incredibly odd that you'll not see that vehicle for two years; does she not intend to come home for any holiday, summer, etc?

Regardless, the risk and the fear are actually a bit detached. I ran ST dino oil on a MC filter for 15k miles, but it did go just less than one year. UOA and filter dissection showed no ill effects. I also run some O/FCIs for up to three years (my Dmax and Kubota diesels) with dino and normal filters. My point? There is a HUGE amount of reserve capacity in normal products, and that's probably true of premium products as well. If you choose a syn and FU or other top filter, the engine will likely be fine for two years and 20k miles.

Generally, oil and filters are not magically going to degrade into sludge and cellulose slurry at the 366th day, despite what the makers will warn against. It's legal protection for them.

I find every bit of reason to think the products themselves will hold up just fine. I know; I practice extended O/FCIs and have yet to find a true risk, other than a denial of warranty coverage.

I will not recommend brands, because that's just bias; there are plenty of good products to choose from for your intended application. Pick a PAO and top tier filter and rest easy.

And by all means, if it does go that far on the O/FCI, then get a UOA and cut the filter open and post them up!

At least you'll be one of the few actually getting some value out of your products, unlike those who use these products and still O/FCI at "normal" intervals.

Last edited:
Any PH3600 equivalent fits this engine perfectly and I don't think that actual bypass pressure is precise enough to matter. I've got one on ours right now, an old AAP Total Grip I'd originally bought for our old Aersostar when AAP was clearancing this line of filters.
The Ultra is available in this common size as are a host of other high-tier filters.

Originally Posted By: JerryBob
"Show me a Jiffy-Lube bill and I'll pay this semester's tuition." Simple.

A new focus per semester might be cheaper.

Last edited:
At one year call her the ford dealer in her town and see how much it would be for them to pick the car up, change the oil and return it. Or see if there are any 'on site' oil change services in her area.

If she can't come to you over a two year period, can you go to her?

If none of those work, then go with the FU and an EP quality synthetic. At 220k, talking about the cost of a bypass system doesn't make sense to me. Just make sure there is a quart or two of oil in the trunk and she keeps an eye on the fluid levels.

Going to her really is the best option. That way you can check, or have checked at a shop,, other wear items at the same time. Wipers, brakes, tires, air filter, etc... And *perhaps* it could sink in that you made so much effort to make the trip, is because A: you care about your daughter and her safety and B: although not much effort is required, a minimum amount of maintenance and upkeep is important for any vehicle.

Afterthought. Won't she be required to have a state inspection at some point over two years? I know not all states require them, so maybe not. She could have a change at that point and have things generally checked out.

A new battery if the current one is over a couple of years might not be that bad an idea. Students tend to make lots of very short trips...

You need to break that habit, NOW!!. Instead of being an independent, functional member of society that can take care of herself, she will be an entitled, "princess" that will always have someone taking care of her and calling daddy or boyfriend when her car "mysteriously" stops running.

How hard is it to take your car in for a 30 minute synthetic oil change once a year?

If the car belongs to you, maybe REQUIRE her to furnish proof of regular oil changes (6K, 7.5K, miles or so max). All she has to do is take a picture of the receipt and send it to you in a text. If she refuses to furnish proof, then you repo the car and let her buy her own transportation. Sometimes kids need tough love.

I would be much more worried about the oil level versus frequency of change and possibility of destroying the engine. It only holds 4.5 quarts and it sounds fairly risky to me to just run an OCI for 2 years/20K miles "blindly". Especially since you said "you figure it would be a quart low at 20K miles" it sounds like you do not know for certain.

I have a daughter who recently graduated college and I can tell you without hesitation, you simply have to follow up and be active to force them to keep up with maintenance. NO ONE is that busy that they cannot take the time to perform maintenance despite what they say. Will they have time to walk to their destination?

If it were mine, I would be looking at Amsoil for both oil and filters. I believe that I read that Amsoil plans to discontinue filters soon, so I would not hesitate to purchase. For that long of an OCI, I would not be very concerned about cost either, even at $100 for a 2 year OCI the cost is still reasonable (and it will not be that much). You are exceeding the "guarantee" of any oil/filter combination that I am aware of, but obviously that is not a concern.

Taking the question at face value, I didn't see the Distance Plus mentioned, it should do the service as well, although I believe the Ultra is a better value. (Have not been any reports of D+ media failures like other Puro/Bosch filters)

I do however agree that impressing upon her the benefits (such as not being stranded on the road) of some routine basic car maintenance and periodic inspection is the better option.

Being a Ford, can't she get "The Works" for like $40.00 at a Ford dealer.

Originally Posted By: jmb3675
My daughter plans to take one of the cars out of state for school. Despite how may reminders I give, it may be 2 years and as many as 20,000 miles before it gets an oil change.

Ok, I have 3 daughters so here is the scoop:

Look on the internet and find what auto parts store is nearest to her home or a Walmart or Ford dealer with auto service center.

1. Install the best new gold top battery from that provider.
2. Do a M1-EP & Fram ultra OCI now and add an extra 1/2 quart over fill. Install new air filter.
3. If it is a Walmart or Dealer call and set up an account with your credit card on file. Tell them what you want done when she brings the car in. (syn oil, filter, tire rotation, wiper blades, top off all fluids, inspect brakes.)
4. Log her mileage when she leaves. Then you can check via text message to see where she is at.
5. At 7500 send her to the dealer for an oil change.

If she fails to go...go visit and do it.

I send my kids off with new brakes, new tires, new battery, new coolant, new oil & filter, new wiper blades, and a box in the trunk with jumper cables, 2 gallon gas can,longer lug wrench, fix a flat. I inflate the full spare tire to 40psi so it has air in it. Then I go go to a truck stop and get some retro-reflective tape that they use on trailers and stick a few strips on the back of the car to provide lots of illumination from behind when they park on the street.

If you have Verizon for wireless you can get the Verizon national roadside assistance for $3/month. Then they just dial *ROAD for help if they have a breakdown.

Last edited:
I was just typing something very similar. If she isn't responsible enough to take it to the Ford dealer just ONCE in between the two years she'll be gone, it's time to teach her greater responsibility now. If she doesn't respect you enough to spend $40 and an hour of her time to take care of your property that you're nice enough to lend her, something is wrong. Taking your car to college should be a privilege requiring maintenance, not an entitlement that's only going to reward her irresponsible behavior.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
You need to break that habit, NOW!!. Instead of being an independent, functional member of society that can take care of herself, she will be an entitled, "princess" that will always have someone taking care of her and calling daddy or boyfriend when her car "mysteriously" stops running.

How hard is it to take your car in for a 30 minute synthetic oil change once a year?

If the car belongs to you, maybe REQUIRE her to furnish proof of regular oil changes (6K, 7.5K, miles or so max). All she has to do is take a picture of the receipt and send it to you in a text. If she refuses to furnish proof, then you repo the car and let her buy her own transportation. Sometimes kids need tough love.

Fill it a half quart over with Amsoil Signature Series and use one of their filters for the best chance that it'll survive. I'd probably use 5w-30 to reduce the chance of burning. Who knows what'll happen in 20,000 miles. If she isn't checking the level or getting it changed, a small amount of consumption can run it low.

Good luck.

I am hopeful that she will take care of it. She is pretty responsible. If she wasn't, she would be going to school here. That said, I remember how I treated my first car. I neglected that one pretty bad despite being reminded all the time. I was nowhere near as responsible as her though. She knows if anything happens to the car, it is up to her to take care of it or replace it at her cost. She will most likely be flying home for holidays. It's going to be a 16 hour drive one way and cheaper to fly her home than it would be for the 4 of us to fly there and find a place to stay. If she didn't have one of her friends driving there with her, she wouldn't even be taking the car. A new battery and wipers are great ideas, thanks. It already got new tires. I have her check the oil every time she gets fuel and she will be learning how to replace a tire and will have AAA too. With 220k miles on the car I am not expecting any kind of warranty from any oil. I also don't intend for her to not change the oil either. I am just trying to plan for a worst case scenario because it isn't really that expensive. The plan is to have her change it at 8000 miles with a full synthetic. and have the tires rotated. The chain the tires came from has a shop there and is reasonable for oil changes. I picked 8000 miles to keep the oil change and tire rotation on the same schedule, the fact it has high miles and that should keep the oil in the full range if she forgets to check it. I looked at Amsoil, but I will likely go with M1EP or QSUD or something like that because of the price.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime

While your argument is compelling.....it's not reality. In this case an ounce of preparation is worth a pound of cure. After a while as she matures she will learn to get regular oil service. But I like to set my kids up for success. Over time they all get it. Even my wife now sees the OLM.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I don't see Bosch filters very often around here and I have never heard of a Distance plus so those didn't come to mind. I should look those up as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back