Motorcraft FL-1a Alternates Using Wix Part Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Paul, since I happen to have a GIGANTO 51714 in my possession (at my office on my "trophy" shelf), I will examine it and let you know where its ADBV is located.

As a matter of fact, this coming week I should be getting my filter cutting tools, and I'll begin cutting some virgin filters open and posting photos. The GIGANTO will be one of them.
smile.gif

I suspect the Wix will have a threaded end bypass, but let me know. Now the question is, whether your filter cutter can handle that agricultural sized filter.

Hmmm, this big ol' filter seems to cause a delay in oil pressure on start up if it has sat very long. I noticed the perforated tube is huge in diameter, but that is on the engine feed side. Can't remember if the other filters did that, but it just strikes me as not the best. Maybe you can get too big of a filter. May switch it off for a standard size, don't know.

Yes. After an hour today, it had the delay. After 10 minutes it did not.

You mean the 51714 has the bypass in the open end?

Okay. I just spun a Valvoline Maxlife VF8A by Purolator (FAR Advance Auto) on the F150 (Cross ref to FL1A). Wow! When I took the agricultural sized filter off not a drop of oil spilled out. I has been shut off for 7 hours. I looked in with a flashlight and clearly could see the raised bump for the bypass valve in the bottom of the can. Thumbed the hole and inverted it, but nothing came out because there was not much in there to come out. That BMF (big mamma filter) was essentially VOID OF OIL!
shocked.gif

I am sure the Wix would have been better, but I figure the FL1A is going to be fine on this truck. I have run about 4 of the Puro L40017 extra long versions with no problem also. But when the ADBV leaks, better a smaller can.

Now the motorhome and Aerostar don't matter because the filter angles downward and so can never empty. Maybe an angled mount could be adapted to my F150, which has the straight 6 and the filter is dead level horizontal.

Well, I fired it up to fill the can on the Maxlife filter (too lazy and too late to draw some off from the Fram Sure Drain to fill it) and we'll see how she starts tomorrow am.

I bet all Wix that have bypass valves have them in the threaded end.

The Maxlife filter is performing well. I have had two starts after a long sit (7 hrs and 8.5 hrs) and both times the needle responded immediately as the engine fired up.

I'll have to see if the big filter will fit the motorhome and run it there.

quote:

Maybe an angled mount could be adapted to my F150, which has the straight 6 and the filter is dead level horizontal.

Yes, it can be. Get one of these.

-

It's for a Ford Explorer with a 5.0. The oddball cooler makes it go cheap on Ebay. The right angle mount gets more when separated. The bolt is 3/4-16 thread. You just throw away the cooler, spin out your filter nipple, take the nipple and put it where the 3/4-16 to 20mm x 1.5 hollow filter extension is and you've got a right angle adapter.

You can get just the right angle adapter, but they typically bring higher bids at auction. I just bought one for (cooler/mount) $21 US.

Thanks Gary. That would negate the need for an antidrainback valve altogether. Now I plan to use only Wix with the silicon anti-drainback valve on this horizontal mount, so maybe it will not need the elbow fitting. Motorhome and Aerostar both have about 30 degree dangles and so generally not an anti-drainback issue.

Indeed sir the information on 51714 is a necessity for existence. What about OCI mileages how long are you going to push Godzilla? Thanks for your time and consideration.

Great find, to bad the beta#s aren't posted along side. What filter would be best flow/filtering and combo of both, thats the real question
smile.gif
?

Originally Posted By: Diesel1
Indeed sir the information on 51714 is a necessity for existence. What about OCI mileages how long are you going to push Godzilla? Thanks for your time and consideration.

That's the spirit!! A necessity for existence!
cheers3.gif

I suppose that the OCI for Godzilla could easily be 15,000 miles or more.

Yes I must admit I do get a bit excited with the knowledge to benefit humanity! I just dont want us humans to have false hopes, and be able to make the best decisions based on facts. How much extra oil did you require with your new filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back