Motorcraft FL-1a Alternates Using Wix Part Numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.
High in the Mountains of Central California
I just went through the 2005 Wix Master Catalog and pulled out all of the oil filters that have the exact same thread and gasket dimensions as the ubiquitous FL-1a. All part numbers are Wix part numbers, so if you want a different brand of filter, enter the Wix number into your preferred maker's cross-reference calculator and you'll have what you need or want.

One caveat: I found out through sad experience that the GIGANTO 51714 will NOT fit any of my Fords ('83 F250 w/460 and '95 Explorer) because it is too wide. The lesson to be learned here is to check all clearance dimensions before you buy. Oh well, the 51714 will look magnificent in my trophy case!
wink.gif

One more caveat: Be careful about deviating too far from the OEM specs for your stock filter's bypass PSID. Excessive deviations may damage your engine.

Final caveat: The 51515R is for Racing Only and not street use, per Pete C. of Wix.

Here's the listing:

Motorcraft FL-1a Oil Filter Alternates using Wix Part Numbers

code:

¾-16, 2.834 O.D. Gasket, 2.462 I.D. Gasket

Wix # Height Overall Dia. ADBV? Bypass PSID Notes

51515 5.178” 3.660” Yes 8-11 FL-1a equivalent

51335 2.483” 3.670” Yes 8-11 needs 15614 gasket

51311 3.372” 3.661” Yes 16

51085 3.790” 3.660” Yes 8-11

51521 3.790” 3.660” Yes 8-11

51307 3.812” 3.663” Yes 8-11

51312 3.812” 3.663” Yes 11-13

51189 3.895” 4.282” Yes 8-11

51068 4.338” 3.660” Yes 8-11

51624 4.354” 3.701” Yes 13-19

51515R 5.170” 3.600” Yes 8-11 Racing Only

51191 5.178” 3.660” Yes 30

51452 5.178” 3.660” Yes 8-11

51647 5.178” 3.660” Yes None No Bypass Valve

51775 5.178” 3.660” Yes 8-11

51806 5.189” 3.663” Yes 7-9

51601 5.205” 4.282” Yes 13-19

51545 5.218” 3.701” Yes 27-33

51411 5.988” 4.282” Yes 8-11

51714 6.605” 4.276” Yes 16

51333 6.982” 3.670” Yes 30

51773 6.982” 3.663” Yes 8-11 FL-299 equivalent

51459 7.010” 3.694” Yes 7-9

[ August 14, 2005, 10:04 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

Nice list
smile.gif

What does your catalog say about the 51410? It's allegedly a 3/4-16 PH16 sized filter without a bypass
confused.gif
(I've got it sitting right here).

What do they consider excessive deviations?

Gary, the 51410 has a different size gasket; I only pulled the numbers that were identical to the FL-1a.

The gasket dimensions of the 51410 are 2.729 O.D. and 2.415 I.D. It has no bypass valve and no ADBV, because it is intended for hydraulic systems, not lube systems.

I'm not sure what "excessive deviations" are, but Pete warned about using filters with PSIDs that are significantly higher than stock. I assume that if your stock PSID is 8-11, then 16 would be okay, but 30 would be way too high.

Then again, I drive a C20 with absolutely no bypass at all, and I have no problems. BUT, I am very careful about not pushing my engine when it's cold and I use oil that flows well at startup. And, I change my oil filters often.

I'm assuming that if a filter with a high PSID is used, it is kinda like running without a bypass, and the same precautions need to be taken.

Thanks for the kind comments, Gary!
smile.gif

My thought on the higher bypass setting thing is that it should make no difference unless you really extend your drains.

(I'm open to alternative POV here)

Most, if not all filters (I've seen a few REAL spec's) have a really low PSID at a given temp with a given visc oil at a given flow. The spec's for one hydraulic filter include PSID @ 10 gpm flow with XX weight fluid (ISO 150). It also has a typical gms of holding capacity and Beta spec's The media will pass fluid easily. So we can assume that a 30 psi bypass and a 8-11 psi bypass resemble each other in PSID at some point in each of their lives. Even if the 30 psi filter is a little more dense at the beginning, it shouldn't start off at (let's say beyond double) 5 psi. So that 30 psi filter, assuming that there's no radical loading of the filter (like an Auto-Rx treatement in a heavily sludged engine), will be at a similar psi to the 8-11 psi filter...but maybe at slightly different points in their lives in use.

So, I figure (and will try out at some point) that there is little to fear using a 30 psi filter unless you extend it beyond where you would the 8-11 psi filter (or whatever the highest "stock" filter - pureone 18+/-). Naturally, there would be no way to tell without being oriented to look for any problems (real gauges, and perhaps differential gauges.

This is just my reasoning. It could surely be flawed in some respect (something I'm unaware of) and I'm always open to plausible alternative points of view. In fact I'm thrilled on obscure alternative points of view that aren't readily apparent
smile.gif

I'm unsure of this (this is another "reasoned" thingy) but I think all of your hydraulic filter have a 15psid service life. That's what all the supply side filter gauges appear to terminate at. They use zero resistance return lines and the backpressure and the mounts have a 15psid bypass integrated in them

From McMaster-Carr (page 334)

Similar to the spin-on filters above, but with a higher pressure rating. All filters have an aluminum head and steel canister with bypass valve that's set at 15 psi. They also have a 1/8" NPT female port (for use with the optional filter gauge) and six-hole mounting pattern for mounting flexibility. Furnished with Buna-N seals and a filter cartridge. Connections: NPT female.

So this hydraulic media has at least a tollerance for 15 psid. I would imagine that, given a process/production variable of the various components, that they are good for a decent reserve above that figure. Perhaps 20-25 psid
dunno.gif

This maybe the baseline "standard" for automotive type filters (you can't get much lower). The difference being the micron rating ..and the subsequent service life based on the physical expanse of the media.

Thanks for going to the trouble to assemble that list. When I get some money clear, I think filter1.com will get a call from me. That catalog would come in real handy. That, and all the x-ref utilities available on line, you should be able to sweep virtually the entire spectrum of available filters from other manufacturers.

[ July 24, 2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: Gary Allan ]

What I find interesting about this list is how there are multiple filters with the exact same specs, yet they have different part numbers. For example:

51085 & 51521

51452 & 51775 & 51515

In each of the above instances, the filters are the same size, have the same PSID bypass valve and have ADBVs.

So, why the different part numbers? If you look up the applications for each, they list different vehicles, but if the filters are exactly the same, why not consolidate into one part number?

Or, perhaps there ARE differences, but they are not considered in the specs that are listed. What if the filtering media is different for each of the part numbers? For example, perhaps the OEM specs for certain filter media are for a lower micron threshold, and for another are for a higher flow rate.

I can hardly wait for Pete to get back from Mississippi so he can shed some light on this!

As far as your take on the bypass valve PSID settings, Gary, it makes sense. One thing I've always wondered is if filters with bypass valves built into them (like the ones Ford uses, which have lower PSID settings) are designed to routinely filter only some of the oil and bypass the rest. In other words, the bypass valve is almost constantly open to some degree or another, and they work like a true bypass filter system , in that they are always filtering only a portion of the oil flowing through the lubrication system at any given time, but over the long term them eventually filter all of the oil.

In contrast, the filters which do not have bypass valves built into them (like the ones Chevy uses) filter every bit of oil that goes into them, but the bypass valve built into the filter adapter opens to bypass some of the oil in a similar fashion to the one I described above for the Ford-type filter.

So, in both cases neither system truly filters all the oil flowing throught the system at any given time, but they both eventually filter all of the oil in the system.

Then, there is the system like the one I have on my C20, where the bypass valve on the filter adapter is blocked, and ALL of the oil, ALL of the time, is filtered. None is ever bypassed, all passes through the filter, and the filter has no bypass.

Your thoughts, please!
worshippy.gif

Well, my limited and somewhat sophmoric resources lead me to conclude that there's little bypass action in a filter for at least 5k miles of use. I began to see an increased differential at that point. Otherwise it was 3-4 psid with any weight oil ..at just about any temp.

So, I'd have to say that I don't think the bypass is open much until the filter is really loaded ..and that thatloading takes a while to accumulate. In our current membership ..I doubt that the media is taxed in a normal OCI.

I could surely be wrong, but I think that the bypass valves aren't intended for continuous use. I keep seeing the images of the Warner filters that lubeowner showed us and think that this the possible outcome of having one function in that mode.
dunno.gif

I hope the 51647 (no filter by-pass, mounted in the block) in the US is a better filter than what is sold here. This is a Nissan application, and the filter sold here is manufactured by ADR in Indonesia under the Sakura name, in a Sakura box for three times the normal Sakura price 'cause it has a Wix Pt. # sticker plastered over the Sakura mumber.
AFAIK, it doesn't use a silicone (flurosilicone ?) ADBV, and with the two I tried the ADBV leaked badly.

Not impressed.

quote:

Originally posted by Big O Dave:
As far as your take on the bypass valve PSID settings, Gary, it makes sense. One thing I've always wondered is if filters with bypass valves built into them (like the ones Ford uses, which have lower PSID settings) are designed to routinely filter only some of the oil and bypass the rest. In other words, the bypass valve is almost constantly open to some degree or another, and they work like a true bypass filter system , in that they are always filtering only a portion of the oil flowing through the lubrication system at any given time, but over the long term them eventually filter all of the oil.

Gary, until I began reading about your experiment with the two oil pressure guages, I thought the above was the case, but now I have come to the conclusion that there's not too much bypassing in normal usage.

I just wonder why some OEM's spec out 30 PSID and others 8-11 PSID. And, does the filter element of the 30 PSID filter flow more and hold less?

There's so much to learn! My brain hurts...
gr_eek2.gif

quote:

I just wonder why some OEM's spec out 30 PSID and others 8-11 PSID. And, does the filter element of the 30 PSID filter flow more and hold less?

I suspect that the engines that use them are spec'd for very long OCI's and/or have very high volume/high pressure oil pumps. The media must be reinforced to withstand this level of differential pressure.

Basically, in terms of most common passenger car engines (domestic design), a 30 psi bypass may as well be no bypass at all. Again, I believe that at some point in their respective lives ..they probably have the same PSID. I think that the VW/Audi type will probably start out at the same or near the same pressure.

Nice Table Big O. I have been running the FL299 size on the motorhome and F150 and have to get Purolator L40017 for $6 (Motorcraft only at dealer for about $17), but it looks like I can run either the FL237 (51411) or FL788 (51714) on the F150 (lotsa room with the inline six) if available at my local parts store, which has a sale on Motorcraft filters this week (Murrays). Otherwise the Purolator L40017 is pretty nice as it has a threaded end bypass valve just like the Motorcraft FL1A and can be ordered at Advance Auto for next day pickup.

Nobody carries these Motorcrafts I am looking for, but Advance Auto can get me the Puro L30022 (Motorcraft FL237) for $6.68, so I will get one and hopefully it has the threaded end bypass.

I am a little leary to go to the 51714 because the bypass pressure is higher, but probably is no more than the variation between brands for the same application.

Thanks. Nice site, but I probably am not going to order enough for free shipping. I can get Wix locally but I think they run close to $10
shocked.gif
That's why the Purolator is a good alternate. Of course I could just run FL1A's on everything and take advantage of the Murrays deal this week and get two for $1.66 each.

quote:

Originally posted by TallPaul:
Of course I could just run FL1A's on everything and take advantage of the Murrays deal this week and get two for $1.66 each.

That's not a bad choice at all! Despite my fervor for BIG filters (and FL1A's are pretty good-sized, themselves), I know that FL1A's are excellent filters, one of the very best out there. In fact, I have several FL1A's in my stash right now!
grin.gif

I do want to state here that even though I'm an enthusiastic BIG filter fan, they are not the only solution, or even always the best solution. There are standard-sized filters that have excellent features and filtering media. My belief is that where all other things are equal, having a larger filtering element and a larger capacity case (which allows more oil capacity) is advantageous.

So I bought one of the big ones (51411) but in Purolator L30022. When I picked it up the guy says, "Oh yeah, the agricultural filter."
lol.gif

The applications list shows mostly AGCO-Allis and other construction equipment type stuff. The thing will look beastly hanging off my engine one OCI.

Unfortunately it has the dome end bypass valve. Also I see on the Purolator site it's bypass is 20 psi, so the FL788 version would have been fine too. Hey, the Purolator site indicates the FL788 is discontinued by Ford.

But I may just go back to all FL1A's someday. While I notice they all have the same thread spec, the Motorcraft FL1As I have seem to have a slightly tighter hole than the Purolators (not FL1A version). I like a tighter hole as I don't want to risk it falling off the mounting stud.

Another thing, the monster Purolator 30022 (51411) has four turns of threads in the hole, whereas my FL1A and Puro 40017 (FL299 version) have only three turns. Does it matter?
dunno.gif

With a big filter over a normal OCI, I don't see a bypass valve being in use too much. But it is interesting to note the differences.

Congrats, TallPaul! You've entered the wonderful world of BIG filters.

As far as the number of turns, I doubt it matters. It may be that the gasket is slightly thinner than the OEM gasket, so it requires the extra turn to seat. We'll know, for sure, after you pour in the oil and start the engine, and if it doesn't ooze all over the ground, you're good to go.

I think Gary's right - that bypass valve probably won't be used much.

Have fun!
fruit.gif

Just FYI... http://www.rockauto.com has the 51085 for $4.94.

I believe that filter is also available in the master pack (51085MP). The masterpack is a case of filters (I think it is twelve). They come individually shrink wrapped in one larger cardboard box. It is geared towards garages that use a lot of filters.

I like the master packs
smile.gif

Wix 51085 is $2.86 plus shipping, usually about $0.40/filter, at www.fleetfilter.com.

I just bought a couple dozen Napa Gold 1515 from them for $2.61 plus shipping.

You guys might want to check them out.

Tim

I now have the big agricultural L30022 mounted on the 300 I6. Looks great. Won't buy another because of the bypass location (dome end), but maybe the Purolator version of the 51714 will have the correct bypass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back