Rimula r6 in MB Actros

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been talking with my old man and he just returned his company 06 Actros 1848 with 1300000 km on odometer.It had 80000 km OCI mostly with rimula r6.No problems whatsoever,original turbo etc. For replacement he got new IVECO Stralis HI WAY 500.What puzzles me is OCI on this one.It's 150000 km (93000 miles).Has engine and oil technology evolved this much in eight years?For sure it uses much less fuel then old Merc (31l/100km vs 36l/100km) and he sad it pulls better.Recommended oil for Stralis is Urania fe 5w30.

I would not drive The Oil for that Long. Especially when thinking off the massive problems Iveco has had with turbochargers.

Neither would i but trucking companies will.It's probably not only Iveco thing,this long OCI,other manufacturer are most likely doing the same.It all comes down to the cost of maintenance during ownership of vehicle.And majority will make it to the 1000000 under 6 years easily.

Hi,
chrisi - I used Delvac 1 5w-40 at an average of 80kkms OCIs in my vehicles for many years. This was in DD Series 60 500hp engines. A tear down-measure up on one at around 1.2m kms showed that all parts were within operating specifications. One engine at least went to 2m kms without a rebuild

I used a Mann-Hummel centrifuge and SS FF inserts - UOAs were used to monitor lubricant condition

UOAs and pictures of liners and bearings appear within BITOG

Hi Doug Hillary
80kkm OCI was industry standard for last IDK,ten,fifteen years and this works fine.This is not why i started this topic.Reason behind it is this new 150kkm interval.It almost double it. Can't see oils are this much better then few years before. Will this work? What do you think?

Hi,
chrisri - The "Industry Standard" OCI for OTR trucks with American technology engines in "general" applications here is around 30kkms

In extending OCIs much depends on fuel quality/specification, lubricant standards and top up rate, filtration devices, combustion technologies, vehicle application and climatic conditions - and several other factors. This is why trended UOAs play such an important role in such practices as does extensive field testing

The OEM's lubricant condemnation levels and lubricant quality are important factors. For instance the OEM's max. soot level may be 2% but some lubricants will tolerate 6% with no adverse affects

To keep my reply short and having a good knowledge of MB and their practices (I worked for them and have been to Worth many times) I believe the 150kkms OCI is manageable!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back