First (10k) change on '12 VW TDI, road trip coming

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 9480 miles on a '12 VW Jetta Sportwagen with 2.0 CR TDI engine. My first 10k, no-charge service is coming up, but I have a ~600 mi. road trip coming this weekend.

Do I have the oil changed before or after the trip?

I've seen both sides of the argument in numerous posts on this forum and others. I guess I'm asking for yet another go-around on it. Here are the pros/cons (or WAIT / change NOW) that I've come up with:

WAIT until I get back:
1. The oil is factory synthetic VW 507.00 diesel oil (therefore heavy duty), it'll be fine.
2. This trip will just bring you up to the specified change interval (±500 miles, OK by dealer).
3. The car's running fine now - this FIRST trip to the dealer for FREE oil change means the "new guy" might get it and screw something up (over/underfill, leave belly pan screws off, etc.). You don't want to have your first problem away from home.

Change NOW:
1. Changing oil a little early will never void your warranty.
2. The car will get a dealer service "once over" and check everything else, too.
3. This is the FIRST oil change, and probably the most "critical".

The other wrinkle is that this trip is NOT all "easy" highway miles. We're going to have the car fully loaded, there are some long hills on this trip, and some stop and go driving through towns along the way. But there are sections of the drive that are highway cruising.

Am I overthinking this, and should just get back to work, or am I not overthinking this and these are valid concerns? Should I just flip a coin?

Do whatever helps you sleep better at night. If you're going to be stressing over it during your road trip, then by all means do it before the trip.

There are probably VW dealers all along the route you will be taking that would be more than happy to do the service for you. That way you can get it in right on the 10k dot and not agonize over it befor or during your vacation.

Quattro Pete, I'm more stressing about the kid at the dealer that's gonna end up doing the change.
AlienBug, I agree, it's not really gonna matter either way.

Is it bad that I have more faith in oil, than I do in dealer service departments?

threeputtpar, actually, I just looked; there's only one along the way, and it's only an hour into the 4 hour trip. Two more around 20 miles from my destination.

I think I'm just gonna have it changed when I get back.

Originally Posted By: benwah
Quattro Pete, I'm more stressing about the kid at the dealer that's gonna end up doing the change.

OK, but it's going to be the same kid doing it regardless if you change it now or later, no? What's the difference?

If you don't trust them, do it yourself.

I would advance a safety inspection by 520 miles if I was going on a 600 mile trip with my family. Having the oil changed at the same time is convenient.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
OK, but it's going to be the same kid doing it regardless if you change it now or later, no? What's the difference?

Difference is, if I wait 'til I get back, the dealer's only a few miles from my house - I'm not going to be driving 270 miles away right after it's done. If there's an issue the next day, I can take it right back.

The thing I'm really worried about, is there's a fairly elaborate sound deadening panel (belly pan) that has about a dozen screws holding in place properly. I've had experience (with a previous VW - Passat) where even the dealer techs didn't get it put on right.

I know they'll probably use a [vacuum] extractor for the oil change, but I'd like to be there and see how it's done, and "make sure" they're doing everything right. I've been doing my own changes on my old car, but for the first service, I'd like to see what all they do.

As for the safety side of things, I always do standard stuff, check fluids, tire pressures, etc. - and my state safety inspection was just done in December. On a pretty much "brand new" car, I'm not that worried about it. Tires & brakes good, etc.

FWIW, there's also a TSB that has to be done, too, and I'm afraid it'd take longer if they do that. If I get it done when I get back, I can have it all done at once. (The TSB isn't really safety related, it's putting a sticker on and a door in the fuel filler so idiots don't put gas in instead of diesel).

If the dealer f's something up, they'll be giving you a loaner/rental for the trip -- meaning no miles on your car!

Probably a little late to this story but here my .02 worth.. The most wear in the engine occurs during the first 1500-ish miles after a fresh oil change. That info alone should tell you what to do..

Can you explain how you know this, and how the wear is measured?

Originally Posted By: peterdaniel
Probably a little late to this story but here my .02 worth.. The most wear in the engine occurs during the first 1500-ish miles after a fresh oil change. That info alone should tell you what to do..

Why is your car two models years old and just now getting the first service done? VW's warranty and free service is a three year/36,000 mile proposition. You won't get free service on a five year old car that has just turned up 36,000 miles.

Get your service done! VW's severe service schedule specifically states to change the oil at 10,000 miles OR 1 year intervals.

You also have a brake fluid replacement coming up on the three (3) year interval. check the production date on your car and get that fluid serviced when it's appropriate.

I'll state it once again - VW's warranty is for THREE YEARS or 36,000 miles. I've seen too many turbochargers on VW's common rail engine needing to be replaced prematurely so you're not doing yourself any favors by trying to eek out the last inch from an oil change. If you have a DSG then that's another interval that you need to pay attention to. Short trip useage puts your vehicle in the severe service category. Adjust your maintenance schedule accordingly.

There is a lot of metal particles in there from break in that I would want to get out of there. I would have it changed. Check for any dripping before you leave.

Wow with 9500 on the clock still willing to wait after nearly two years? You are already late imo but not too late.

Originally Posted By: loneryder
There is a lot of metal particles in there from break in that I would want to get out of there. I would have it changed. Check for any dripping before you leave.

Yeah, gotta back this comment. I have made it a regular thing to do complete change out of ALL oils and fluids within the first 3000 - 5000 miles on a new vehicle. Some of the stuff I have seen come out of transfer cases, diffs, and oil pans would make some folks cringe.

Now, VW may be a little more detail oriented for sure, but my 2013 Silverado, the transfer case fluid looked like sewer water at 3000 miles and the magnetic drain plug looked like my cat had his tail stuck in a wall outlet with all the metal filings on it. The rear diff was almost 2 pints low on lube when I went to change it also. Definitely had my oil change regimen confirmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back