Gumout Q&A - All Things Gumout

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwillson

Staff member
Quote:
Edit: The answers have been posted here: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/gumout-q/

Hello BITOG Members:

While this site is primarily dedicated to motor oil discussions, we know that many of you are interested in auto maintenance in general. That is why we at Gumout would like to reach out to all of you and provide insights and information on performance chemicals such as fuel additives, oil treatments, and many other products you use to keep your vehicles running their best.
Many of you may feel that these types of products are “snake oil” but let me assure you there are many brands including Gumout that do offer quality products that actually do what they say they do; however, there are some brands that don’t and this has perpetuated the thought that fuel additives aren't worth buying. Also, many of you may use these products on a regular basis, but would still like to know how they work and what is in them.
We want educate you on the different types of performance chemicals, what kind of additives are typically used in these products, what they can and cannot do, and what kind of tests are used to confirm the claims of the products (ASTM, etc.).
Our goal is to educate you on this category of maintenance products so you can make a confident purchase decision and not rely solely on hype, what is on deal or whatever the counterman at your favorite auto retailer is pitching.

We also would like to assure you that all Gumout products are thoroughly tested in our labs, independent labs, in fleet tests and often even on the race track. ASTM tests that are relevant to the application are what we must pass to provide statistical proof of the efficacy of our products. We only use top notch additives in our formulations and partner with some of the world’s leading additive suppliers that also sell to the top motor oil and fuel companies/brands often discussed on this forum.
We have been following this rigorous testing protocol and leading the way in technical innovation since World War II. The US government called on Penreco to come up with a solution for gummed up carburetors on jeeps, tanks and other military equipment. The US was sending these vehicles to Europe to fight the Axis powers; they would be filled with fuel prior to departure on the ships because fuel was not as readily available on the front lines. The problem was that the ships had to avoid U boats so their path to England often wasn’t a straight line. This slowed down the ships and in that time the carburetors became gummed up with fuel deposits and varnish. When they arrived often the equipment wouldn’t start; this is where Penreco came to the rescue and provided a solvent that would clean the carburetors. After the war, Penreco marketed the solvent as Gumout to also help keep civilian vehicles running smooth.
Since then Gumout has kept up with the latest manufacturers’ engine/drive train technologies. Carburetors gave way to port fuel injectors, which in turn yielded to Gasoline direct injection technology and Gumout has provided products that have kept up with these technologies. Also, the government is continuously setting strict standards on emissions and fuel economy standards which has fostered the use and growth of ethanol fuels, selective catalytic reduction systems and other engine technologies to meet these guidelines. These often result in increased maintenance of vehicles and Gumout has solutions for these challenges as well.
We’d like to share more information with you on our products and car maintenance in general. Beginning today, with this post, we have opened a special thread for all of you to submit your questions to the Gumout Research & Development team. The thread will be open for question submissions until 12:00 p.m. ET on June 30, at which time we will send them back to our full team of scientists, engineers and brand representatives to provide answers to as many of the questions as we can a few weeks later on July 14.

We are extremely excited to provide you with this service, but do have a few requests:

1. Please use this forum ONLY to submit questions. If you have previously posted questions on other areas of the site we will do our best to find them and provide answers, but your best bet is to repost the question in this thread.
2. Please understand that there will be some questions that we will not be able to answer. Some of our formulation information is proprietary and can only provide feedback on our areas of expertise.
3. Please understand that we will not speculate on the products of our competitors, but we may be able provide you with ways to determine what they may have in their formulations. This should allow you to define what the product can do and compare that to what the label says it will do.

We look forward to your questions and thanks for your involvement!

-The Gumout Team

It is my understanding that the products listed as "Fuel System Cleaners" contain the ingridient PEA, but do the lower tier cleaners such as the "Fuel Injector Cleaners" and "Fuel Additives" also contain some PEA?

Also did the formulation become less potent with the "All in one" cleaner sometime between 2010-2012. I saw an older stock bottle and it looked much darker and smelled more potent.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3342038/Gumout_All-in-1_Comparison_201

Is there any reason to choose the lower tier products such as "regane or regane high mileage" over the "all in one" other than cost?

I am a Techron user, how does Gum Out All in One compare? Does it contain PEA in equal or higher concentration in comparison to Techron?

Direct injection is reality. We have heard that some cleaning agents can "survive" the combustion process and clean through PCV or other means. This doesn't necessarily make sense given HC regulations and the effect it would have on catalytic converters, however given the parallel reality of deposits in DI engines, cleanliness and additives to support engine cleanliness are essential. Can you describe the chemistry, mechanism, and tests/validation used to develop DI-suitable additives? Which of your products is most suited for maintaining valve, intake and injector cleanliness in direct injection gasoline engines, and why?

Originally Posted By: gregk24
I am a Techron user, how does Gum Out All in One compare? Does it contain PEA in equal or higher concentration in comparison to Techron?

+1

The 'All in One' 10 oz bottle claims to be good for "up to 35 gallon gas tanks".
If I used half a bottle in each of my cars (14 and 15 gallon gas tanks) would it be fully effective?

What is the PPM of PEA in this product?...in regular Regane?.... in High Mileage Regane?

Would it be more effective to add Regane before a long highway trip where the entire tank of gas is used or when the car will be used for several shorter trips where the PEA gets to 'soak' into the valves etc...?

Thanks.

Originally Posted By: pbm
The 'All in One' 10 oz bottle claims to be good for "up to 35 gallon gas tanks".
If I used half a bottle in each of my cars (14 and 15 gallon gas tanks) would it be fully effective?

What is the PPM of PEA in this product?...in regular Regane?.... in High Mileage Regane?

Would it be more effective to add Regane before a long highway trip where the entire tank of gas is used or when the car will be used for several shorter trips where the PEA gets to 'soak' into the valves etc...?

Thanks.

Great question.

I too would like to know which method of engine running would be more effective at cleaning everything. Steady highway rpm or city type driving.
It's been debated here more than once and I can see benefits to both methods but I'm guessing the city type driving would be more beneficial because of the varying cylinder pressures and volume of airflow changing rather than just a steady rpm,unless those rpm are high enough that it creates velocity.

And please not some bull form answer that both will clean effectively blah blah blah.

+2

Gumout is going to tell us their product vs Chevron? If they did how many would really believe them? We will be fortunate to get the amount of PEA in their products. Chevron should answer about Techron IMO

+3

Could you just list the concentrations of PEA in your products?

Does gumout use anything that would be considered better than PEA in their products for cleaning?

Please list the amount PEA contained in the entire bottle rather than percentage. The concentration alone is not the correct way to measure what gets eventually added to my tank. When I dump a bottle of your FSC or a competitor's all I want to know what is the final PEA amount in my tank and it does not matter if you had double the concentration but half the bottle size.

Tell us how much gm/ml/oz of PEA each of your bottle has.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Please list the amount PEA contained in the entire bottle rather than percentage. The concentration alone is not the correct way to measure what gets eventually added to my tank. When I dump a bottle of your FSC or a competitor's all I want to know what is the final PEA amount in my tank and it does not matter if you had double the concentration but half the bottle size.

Tell us how much gm/ml/oz of PEA each of your bottle has.

If you have the percentage and you know the volume of the bottle, doesn't that give you the number you are looking for?

Your top 3 fuel system cleaners, (Regane, Regane high mileage, and All on one).

Do these 3 products contain the same percentage of PEA?

Why isn't the All in one product available in Canada?

Are we ever going to get any answers here? I do hope BITOG got their check up front from Gumout or are they still waiting to receive the sponsorship dollars?

Originally Posted By: wwillson
The thread will be open for question submissions until 12:00 p.m. ET on June 30, at which time we will send them back to our full team of scientists, engineers and brand representatives to provide answers to as many of the questions as we can a few weeks later on July 14.

Hopefully their scientists are aware of internet and are not using pony express to send the answers

Two weeks? Really?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back