How reliable is Ford Transit Connect?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am thinking of trading in my rusty 2000 Echo for a used Toyota pickup truck or a used cargo van like Ford Transit Connect, but unsure about Ford's quality on the later. I need something that can transport stuff and leaning towards a cargo van since it's hard to load a pickup truck with a cap on and the cap is not weather proof for its cargo.

Do any of you own a Ford Transit Connect and can share its pros and cons? The used ones are often with high mileages and they are not cheap.

Last edited:
The only weak point on there is the 4F27E transmission. The duratec engine is very reliable and it's a pretty proven chassis otherwise (first generation US Focus).

Except for the control blade rear, it's a solid axle

it's a Focus Variant.

It's basically an over inflated First Gen Focus. same engines and transmissions. everything largely bolts up.

I remember reading about some folks with the them, swapping out the Auto(only trans available in the TC in NA) for the Manual from a Focus. they didn't even have to drill any new holes in the firewall to mount the Clutch. they were already there.

so...it SHOULD be as reliable as the First gen Focus. whatever that's worth to you...

Worked on a few at work 90% of our customers are fords.....they never are in for anything major. I wouldn't be afraid of them

Wheel bearings have been an issue for my fleet. I have replaced both front driver and passenger wheel bearings twice within 40,000 miles. My other transit just had its first set replaced last month and that has 53,000 original miles. The Ford Dealer where I purchased both of my Transits from said lately they have been seeing more of these front wheel bearings going bad. Both of my Transits are 2010.

Other then the wheel bearing issues they have been great with no other mechanical problems. I would definitely recommend them and I will also be purchasing another transit in about 6 more months and I may look at a used model.

I had AAA come out for a battery replacement under warranty for my grandmas car and Ford Transit was their battery transport vehicle. He let it idle the entire time and it sounded like it ran like junk, like a sloppy tractor.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
I had AAA come out for a battery replacement under warranty for my grandmas car and Ford Transit was their battery transport vehicle. He let it idle the entire time and it sounded like it ran like junk, like a sloppy tractor.

Well it is only available with two engines from what I can see, neither of which "run like junk" so
21.gif

Transmission issues... (like down shifting to low on the interstate)
Wiper arms (there was a recall)
Water leaks (in fairness probably related to ladder rack installation)
Windshields are expensive (~$700)
Underpowered and noisy
Poor fuel economy when loaded (put two ladders on it and drive 70 it'll get 15, a G-Van does as well with the same load)
Dealers don't seem to want to work on them.

The outgoing generation is only available in the US with a 2.0/4 spd auto combo. The new one (just hit dealers) comes with a 2.5/6 spd auto which should be better.

Could be how they're being used.... Light use such as a flower delivery truck for a florist = OK. Heavy use such as a plumber or HVAC truck = Not OK.

I know the University bought some... but it appears that they're back to buying Dodge minivans with no windows.

Most contractors beat and overload whatever they have so take failures with a grain of salt.

My concrete guys blew the leaf springs out of their 4 year old 3/4 ton Ford so does that make Ford trucks junk?

^^^haha, totally agreed. It's rough in most cases, for sure.

My local AC guy uses 3 of these. The techs hate them but they are giving decent service. Note that they do not load it to death but it still works a bit to haul their stuff around town...

A local HVAC company uses them. They're even on the opening screen of their website!

http://www.blantonsair.com/

Our local ADT installer also uses one. There's a commerical freezer repairman down the street who uses a full-size Sprinter. It's a really nice setup...diesel engine...that van should run forever.

How important is mileage to you? I am quite impressed with our new 2014 GMC Savana 1500 cargo vans. They ride pretty smooth and while not power houses with the V6, they get around ok.
We bought a dozen of them and they were quite cheap, but even getting just one, you might get it for $20-22k? with AC, power locks allround.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back