Hankook H727 vs ?.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to replace tires on my odyssey, have about 70,000 on the current set of Hankook H727 but one sustained irrepairable damage so Im replacing all 4. Ive had pretty good luck with them, they ride very good, quiet, and have lasted well. I at times questioned the snow/ice traction, but when I look at reviews these tires are rated very highly in both wet, and snow/ice. Maybe the traction is good and its just part of the minivan experience and the wider tire width (235 section width). They were as good if not better than the factory Michelin LX4 tires for sure. Any thoughts or other experience with these tires?

The other tires I am considering, Dunlop Signature2, Cooper Lifeliner GLS. The cooper comes in a little cheaper, the Dunlop about the same. Dry tractioin im sure is fine with all of them, but wish I had a crystal ball to see how the wet/snow traction is among them.

Out of your other considerations, I'd stick with the 727. The newer General Altimax RT43 gets rave reviews, and is typically on the lower end of the price scale.

Ever think about putting the General AltiMAX RT43 in that mix?

I have them on the Forester. I think it is the best overall tire I have ever had. Including Michelin, Bridgestone, etc.

as previously stated the lifeliner GLS is discontinued in favor of the newer Cooper cs3 touring. I would also consider the newest Cooper cs5 grand touring. I also am trying to decide what to recommend my parents put on their Buick Hankook h727 or cs5 I'm leaning towards the cooper cs5 because it likely has more modern compounding than the 727.

The H727 is a good tire, but it's getting on in years these days. It was originally released in 2005, I believe.

I had a set of them on my recently sold Sonata. If I had kept it I would have tried a newer tire design. Nothing against the H727. I was quite pleased with them. But buying the same tire twice is too boring for me. I like to try different and new models.

It will be interesting to see what Hankook releases as a replacement for the H727, whenever that takes place.

I really have nothing against the H727, outside of maybe trying something different. I put these on in 2010, and knew they had been around awhile so I also wondered if there was newer technology out there.

I looked into the generals real quick, looks like about $100 difference between what I can get the Hankooks for,(different shops). Otherwise looks like a decent tire too.

Out of those, I'd pick the Dunlop Signature II.

The Lifeliner is being replaced by the CS3 Touring, which is made in the USA as opposed to China where the Lifeliners were made.

As others have said, the General Altimax RT43 also deserves consideration.

Is the Kumho Ecsta LX Platinum available in your size?

Of course, nothing wrong with getting another set of H727's if you liked them and have served you well.

Tire is like oil, newer generation is usually better than the older ones. If you look at Tirerack test or customer reviews, the one was best 5-6 years ago is no longer ranked #1.

If General Altimax RT43 has your size I would go with it.

The AltiMAX RT43's were tested directly against the H727's and were rated as good or better in most catigories.

I have had the H727(replaced with Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S +) and the H727s were OK but, not optimal on the vehicle that they were installed on.

Most folks in our circle(family/friends) have had great success with the H727 and have replace with the same so, this is saying something very good in the H727's regard. And the H727's customer reviews on minivans is quite good so, IDK!

The AltiMAX RT43's success is still unknown but, I'd be inclined to give'em a try as their price seems much, much better than the H727's which seem on the high side these days...and in certain sizes, tooooo high!

Got a quote for the Generals... $660 vs $530 for the Hankooks so a pretty good jump in price.

Another one I just had reccomended is the Toyo Extensa A/S around 550$....any thoughts on that one......?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mbaker
Got a quote for the Generals... $660 vs $530 for the Hankooks so a pretty good jump in price.

Another one I just had reccomended is the Toyo Extensa A/S around 550$....any thoughts on that one......?

Am I misreading this?
The RT43's are $660 &
The H727's are $530 ?

Char baby,
yes thats right, but it was at 2 different shops. The shop with best price on the H727 could not get the Generals.

surfstar,
No havent checked DTD. Was planning to stay local, but maybe i'll look into it.

It is a no brainer, use the Hankook 727's... The Odyssey is known to chew through tires. if your current 727's lasted 70k, I would stay with the 727's.

Best price I found local on the generals mounted balanced out the door was about $590. Best on the hankook was $530. Right or wrong decided to stay with the Hankook based on price and previous experience. May kick myself later for not trying something new though. The general does look like a nice tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back