Lucas SYNTHETIC oil stabilizer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just use one quart of the synthetic 40 or 50 grade oil of your choice. It is just as or more cost effective as Lucas oil stabilizer yet more beneficial as motor oil is formulated to be compatible with motor oil.

Originally Posted By: dave1251
Just use one quart of the synthetic 40 or 50 grade oil of your choice. It is just as or more cost effective as Lucas oil stabilizer yet more beneficial as motor oil is formulated to be compatible with motor oil.

Im not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I get the impression that there is some hidden angst here. Just what is lucas formulated to work with? LOL

Snake oil the regular oil stabilizer is mineral oil based I believe. Nothing but a viscosity booster with no additives and will dilute the oils additive package.Save your money .

Last edited:
its pure junk. I'd rather run the engine a quart low than have a quart of their crud in there.

Their gear oil is also terrible.

Don't know much about the motor oil except its overpriced.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HAWG4LIFE
Originally Posted By: dave1251

Im not the sharpest tool in the shed, but I get the impression that there is some hidden angst here. Just what is lucas formulated to work with? LOL

There is no hidden angst at all. If you open a thread about Lucas motor oil I will be the first to state Lucas API certified motor oil is good stuff but overpriced.

Lucas oil stabilizer is just a 40 grade motor oil that is sold at a outrageous price.

All Lucas oil stabilizers are snake oil. There is nothing that needs modified in a proper oil package that is already balanced perfectly for its intended application if it meets the proper specifications such as API SN/GF5 and many regarded builder approvals.

The Lucas additives get a lot of hate on BITOG, which may be deserved, but they do have a few things going for them: Lucas believes in their products, uses them in their fleet, and thinks they benefit from their use.

I have no love for Lucas oil stabilizer, but to say it is just grade 40 motor oil is not even close. It is MUCH thicker than any regular oil I have ever seen. seems to me it is about like 50% 50 wt. oil, and 50% STP, without the good zinc in the stp. Like STP, only good for the old beater with BAD rod or main bearings, to hold it together for a few more miles till it can be junked, repaired, or sold to some unsuspecting poor soul.

Originally Posted By: yonyon
Wait, if it's 10 tens thicker, does that mean it would be okay to use in Australia?

I wouldn't use it anywhere on earth. There is no need for such a high viscosity additive in a healthy engine. Just adding one bottle could increase viscosity enough to increase filter by passing events under load/cold starts.

I can't imagine what happens when someone does a double dose or more on a higher specified grade. Like the guy at Autozone I saw grabbing two bottles of Lucas to go with his 10w40 high mileage into a 5w20 Toyota engine.

The regular Lucas Oil Stabilizer is based on heavy bright stocks, with 20-30% Olefin Copolymer viscosity improvers. This much can be surmised from the MSDS.

The Synthetic Oil Stabilizer is much less viscous, with a viscosity of 45 at 100C. It seems to be based on a heavy Group III oil, but the MSDS doesn't say what else is in it. Probably more viscosity improver, although a tech support guy at Lucas said there's some group IV in it.

Rand, can you tell us what's "terrible" about Lucas Gear Oil?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I can't imagine what happens when someone does a double dose or more on a higher specified grade. Like the guy at Autozone I saw grabbing two bottles of Lucas to go with his 10w40 high mileage into a 5w20 Toyota engine.

While I hate lucas...prove to me it would matter...at all.

Ive run a 5w20 toyota motor on 20w50 with motor honey...with zero ill effects. The vvti didnt even realize it.

Originally Posted By: SuzukiGoat
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

While I hate lucas...prove to me it would matter...at all.

Ive run a 5w20 toyota motor on 20w50 with motor honey...with zero ill effects. The vvti didnt even realize it.

I COULD prove it to you.... but then i'd have to kill ya.

Aren't you guys scared of running unstable oil? The other big oil companies haven't discovered the secret sauce for stable oil. Luckily a select few enlightened additive companies share their complex chemistry and vast technological breakthroughs with us consumers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back