Direct fit catalytic converter install ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Cristobal
Instead of doing it yourself you might want to call Mike's Muffler in El Monte. He is reputable. His # is 626 443 5139. If you are in Corona he is not that far from you, and he can do stuff on appointments. Describe your issues to him.

Will do. Thanks for the tip!

I sure am lucky not living in California. In Arizona we have a simple emissions test.

1995 and older- hook up to smog-dyno machine, not very strict

1996 and newer- computer scan for check engine light codes. If none you're good to go. Oh and both do a pressure test on your gas cap.

It's $27.75 and you do it once every 2 years. Although my car would have no issues passing I skip the fee and the time it takes to do it by simply registering my car at my dad's house who lives in a county that doesn't require emissions.

Originally Posted By: NMBurb02
Is the "sticker under the hood" the VIN ?

No, it is an emissions sticker that lists the engine family and states which emissions standard(s) the vehicle meets, such as Federal, California, LEV (low emissions vehicle), ULEV, etc.

I was just wondering if it goes back to 1996 cars as well. My car was in an accident and once had some front end body work done. I hope it is still there. Where is it usually affixed?

Could be in a few places:
hood_up_with_arrows.jpg

Mike's Muffler has never done work for me, but gave advice that got me out of paying huge money for a new CAT at a dealership, and it was advice that helped to stretch my CAT's life out till at least my 2015 smog exam. He could have sold me on a cat but did not, as he does not rip people off. He also has helped out friends. I presume that the shop is still owned by the same guy. Ask. There are Yelp reviews on him, one of which I did. I am sure he has encountered rusted bolts, likely on your same model and year. Since he and another El Monte shop saved me money, that's why I referred you to him.

I went downstairs with my cheap LED flashlight from Harbor Freight. My car still has the emissions sticker on the dash support panel in the rear of the engine compartment - not the core support.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
Can you buy a second hand one from scrap yard?From a car involved in a accident?

Not likely as even the used ones are worth about $75 in rare earth metals and the first thing a junkyard does on intake is cut off the cats so they can lock them up inside.

It's also illegal-- that won't stop them, but it makes asking around on the phone a little harder.

OP, IMO, is not including the "headache factor" to the degree he should be. Getting a universal cat welded in at a shop includes the benefit of "it has to work."

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Check out Eastern Catalytic Direct-fit Converters. I hear some of these GM models are picky about cheaper direct fits than Eastern. My Century had a direct fit from a shop put in 40k ago and its bad again. Someone told me i needed a high wash cat, not sure if this is true or applicable to you, but you might want to research your model thoroughly to see if they are having problems with oem replacements or cheaper. Sometimes a specialty aftermarket piece is needed to fix the issue.

No dice on Eastern. Magnaflow is my only direct fit option.

Why isn't Eastern an option?

I haven't replaced a cat on a Prix that new yet, but if the Magnaflow cat for yours is the same as the the rest, it will be a bit too short and have poor O2 sensor placement, resulting in you having to trim a heat shield back to clear the wires.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
You guys don't realize how strict it is here in California. If the numbers don't match, it's an automatic fail.

Hence using the shell of the old one...the numbers DO match!

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
Check out Eastern Catalytic Direct-fit Converters. I hear some of these GM models are picky about cheaper direct fits than Eastern. My Century had a direct fit from a shop put in 40k ago and its bad again. Someone told me i needed a high wash cat, not sure if this is true or applicable to you, but you might want to research your model thoroughly to see if they are having problems with oem replacements or cheaper. Sometimes a specialty aftermarket piece is needed to fix the issue.

I haven't replaced a cat on a Prix that new yet, but if the Magnaflow cat for yours is the same as the the rest, it will be a bit too short and have poor O2 sensor placement, resulting in you having to trim a heat shield back to clear the wires.

Because they don't offer CARB compliant catalytic converters for 2004+ GPs, which is probably precisely because they are so new, therefore there isn't much demand.

The upstream sensor is in the rear exhaust manifold and there are no heat shields on the cat assembly. The pictures make it look like the rear O2 sensor bung is in about the right spot, so I doubt O2 fit would be an issue.

After finally getting my last 88 Jeep Wagoneer and 3 old 528es past dyno smog testing. MA exempted all pre OBD2 vehicles from emissions. Just an annual safety check.BTW, My 528es all had functioning original cats well past 250 K miles.

Last edited:
I found a CARB-legal universal cat for $100 on eBay

Walker part #82618 can often be found for well under $200

Is the previous-gen (97-03) GP exhaust the same as your 04 or interchangeable? If so, then you can probably get away with Davico part #173299 which is still under $400

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

Is the previous-gen (97-03) GP exhaust the same as your 04 or interchangeable? If so, then you can probably get away with Davico part #173299 which is still under $400

The exhaust systems could be identical, but the CARB Executive Order (EO) for each part is make and model specific and could exclude later models just because of the model years on the market at the time the EO was issued. The smog testers are supposed to check the part and EO against the vehicle year/make/model, and the parts are actually supposed to come with a sticker with the part and EO numbers to facilitate and the sticker is supposed to be displayed in the engine bay.

Edit: Thanks for the link!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: The_Eric

Because they don't offer CARB compliant catalytic converters for 2004+ GPs, which is probably precisely because they are so new, therefore there isn't much demand.

The upstream sensor is in the rear exhaust manifold and there are no heat shields on the cat assembly. The pictures make it look like the rear O2 sensor bung is in about the right spot, so I doubt O2 fit would be an issue.

Yes, I see now. I went and looked at the manufacturer's stock photos for the 2 applications and they are indeed different- which is good for you.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

The exhaust systems could be identical, but the CARB Executive Order (EO) for each part is make and model specific and could exclude later models just because of the model years on the market at the time the EO was issued. The smog testers are supposed to check the part and EO against the vehicle year/make/model, and the parts are actually supposed to come with a sticker with the part and EO numbers to facilitate and the sticker is supposed to be displayed in the engine bay.

Edit: Thanks for the link!

You're welcome
smile.gif

Get yours before they sell out! Only two left at that great price (and no, I'm not the seller of that cat)

If anyone is interested, I ended up taking the car to an exhaust shop 7 weeks ago and they installed a CARB compliant Magnaflow universal fit cat, which ran me about $250 installed, plus $100 for a new flex pipe. The rattle I was experiencing due to the old cat breaking up internally is gone (I still have a slight rattle on hard acceleration coming from the resonator, which may be a piece of the cat that broke up and is now caught in the resonator), the sluggishness and hesitation I was getting during hard acceleration is gone, and gas mileage appears to be up 1+ mpg (~5%) since replacement. I realize the change in fuel economy could be the result of any number of things, including the change to winter fuel, but I think the new cat is mostly responsible for the improvement.

When a cat has failed in a way that restricts the exhaust, replacing it will cause a dramatic improvement in overall performance...throttle response, MPG, everything. It was night and day when I swapped the y-pipe on my truck.

Glad to hear the issue is resolved, and didn't cost an absurd amount of money.

Change to Winter fuel usually hurts fuel economy, not helps it, so combined with your other observations I'd say you probably did get that 1+ MPG back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back