Updated MB 229.5 spec?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
But even if you do decipher the date code, you still can't be sure which spec version they were complying with at that time.

Actually.you can. The ACEA has specific guidance with regards to which spec can be claimed within X-time. It's stated in their oil test sequences. IIRC

Yeah, but did you read what Rollins wrote above?

Quote:
If we look at ACEA schedule , oils that had been certified against ACEA 2004 sequences were allowed for marketing up until 31st of December 2009! This is quite a long period...meanwhile some major changes were implemented concerning ACEA 2008 categories ! And during the whole 2009, oils certified against 3 different sequences(2004;2007 and 2008) might have been on the shelves !

Ya. They've tightened up the dates with 2012. Now only 08' & '10 are on shelves. Pre-2010 should be gone from shelves within 6 months (June 2013). What is funny is that claims are self-certified by oil marketeers.

Last edited:
Then you have oils like Pennzoil Ultra Euro 5w-40 where its current version only claims to meet ACEA 2004. Well, at least they're honest.
smile.gif

Castrol in the UK has reformulated the Magnatec oils range to tie in with ACEA 2010 since mid 2012.

With 2012 only being valid from December 2012 there will be virtually no ACEA 2012 oils available at retail for a few months.

eddie

229.52??? Is that the 20w oils?

I think these are 0w-30&5W-30 oils developed for the First Fill 2-3 years ago by Fuchs, Mobil, Petronas.

Which oil would you select from these:

- Mobil X1 3000 5W-40 229.3
- Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 229.5

I have used X1 for years, but Helix would be cheaper and give some fuel economy benefit. Is there any real downsides in 229.5 oil?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Nebroch
Which oil would you select from these:

- Mobil X1 3000 5W-40 229.3
- Shell Helix Ultra 5W-40 229.5

I have used X1 for years, but Helix would be cheaper and give some fuel economy benefit. Is there any real downsides in 229.5 oil?

Nope, it is more stringent requirement with NOACK below 10%.
Ultra is better oil here.

229.52??? Is that the 20w oils? I'm waiting on BMW to update their ll04

M-B 229.52 is a xW-30 formulation for use with engines with after-treatment and using bio-fuels. There are not many options on the approved list.
The latest BMW engine oil specification is LL-14 FE+ this is made only by Fuchs at present and is for particular engines.

Regards, lim

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Nope, it is more stringent requirement with NOACK below 10%.
Ultra is better oil here.

Thanks, I have to try that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back