The Aeroncas return to Middletown!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Driving home from work Monday, I noticed a couple of what were unmistakably Aeroncas tied down in the grass at Hook Field.
This afternoon, there were more than a dozen of them.
By the end of the week, there'll be more than three dozen.
This is the week of the National Aeronca Association convention, which has been held on Hook Field in Middletown for many years.
Why this venue?
Because this airport was home to Aeronca for a number of years and remains home to Aeronca's sucessor company Megellan.
This airport also offers your choice of pavement or grass runways and many pilots prefer to land a taildragger on grass.
Always nice to see all of these vintage fabric just-for-fun aircraft in a group, although I do feel sorry for those pilots who get stuck on the ground well into the following week due to the severe weather we often see around here in late June.

Maybe we'll see you there.
I'll be with my ever-tolerant wife who's learned to appreciate some of the same old car and old airplane events that I do.
We need to go to the library Saturday anyway and the airport is barely two miles away from it.
Anybody can write a check and fly a C172.
Not everybody can own and care for an Aeronca Champ or Chief.
I know which one I'd rather own as an all-weather easy to fly traveling airplane but I also know which one would be both less costly and more fun for flying around the patch on a pleasant summer day.
You'd have to learn to use the pedals with an Aeronca, while that's pretty optional with any Cessna I've flown.

I'm feeling sorry for the Aeroncans.
We live about six miles from the airport.
Yesterday evening brought an intense thunderstorm with heavy rain.
We had the same this afternoon and more is forecast through Saturday.
I didn't check the official weather, but today looked pretty marginal for VFR, although a pilot experienced in it can safely scud-run.
We can have glorious late spring weather here, but it can also be stormy and wet.
Looks like this year features more of the latter although Sunday, which is supposed to be departure day, looks good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back