Delivery driving MPG tips?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No can help with the massive stop and go you'll be doing. If it's a neighborhood area maybe consider walking or using a moped.

I had a stint for a weekly newspaper doing drops in boxes on the side of the street. Only having a V8 truck at that time and total driving miles was 14 miles with 65 stops I burned through 5 gallons = 3 mpg.

It's 75 miles during the week and 80 miles on Sunday. Once I learn it better, I might shave some of those miles off. As far as the transmission goes, I changed over to valvoline maxlife ATF after I bought it. Drained and refilled 2 or 3 times so that I put in more total fluid than the full capacity, to eliminate any old fluid as best I could. Also the aura xr has a 6 speed trans, which isn't the same one you hear the horror stories about.

I'd buy a $1000 Aveo on CL or something for this. You're ruining a nice car.

Aveo would be a good car - the transmission is the best part about them! As long as you carried a few timing belts to change as they break bi-monthly, you'd be good! ... I am kidding about the last part.

I've never seen a paper delivery vehicle that wasn't speeding and minimizing time on the job. Time=money.

Run the numbers for getting a used Prius or other 35-40mpg vehicle. Prii, while being expensive to fix the hybrid parts, don't break often and the non-hybrid bits break less too.

Fuel is not going to get cheaper any time soon, though we can hope a change of administration will soon encourage the possibility. I doubt it, myself.

Until then, air up your tires, do a tuneup (plugs, wires, rotor, distr cap, fuel filter, air filter), and run SeaFoam or other fuel system cleaner through a couple of tanks of gas. Going to a synthetic oil will not help with your mileage if you continue to use a 30w oil. 30w is 30w. A synthetic trans fluid might help, but might not be discernable.

Originally Posted By: Mr_Incredible
I've never seen a paper delivery vehicle that wasn't speeding and minimizing time on the job. Time=money.

Run the numbers for getting a used Prius or other 35-40mpg vehicle. Prii, while being expensive to fix the hybrid parts, don't break often and the non-hybrid bits break less too.

Fuel is not going to get cheaper any time soon, though we can hope a change of administration will soon encourage the possibility. I doubt it, myself.

Until then, air up your tires, do a tuneup (plugs, wires, rotor, distr cap, fuel filter, air filter), and run SeaFoam or other fuel system cleaner through a couple of tanks of gas. Going to a synthetic oil will not help with your mileage if you continue to use a 30w oil. 30w is 30w. A synthetic trans fluid might help, but might not be discernable.

Gas prices are going to go through the roof.

I have been tempted to buy a Mirage. Cheap, but gets > 50 MPG easily.

Hello, Skip the MMO. Whatever fuel system/injector cleanliness can do for you can be attained via some Techron concentrate.
Tire pressure, easy driving, tune up, route planning, weight reduction and adding walking/cycling are the best bets for now.
Your situation is another example where an electric delivery wagon would shine.
The fuel savings over your route have to justify any replacement vehicle cost incurred.
Is your current vehicle too big for your needs?
If downsizing fits your life, it's a "double win" and changes the math by broadening everyday savings. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back