Son joined the Army today

Status
Not open for further replies.
Used to be you could tell who the idiot officers were because they were O-3's with grey hair, and most were wearing green boots.
Now even they are getting promoted to O-4...

Look up the story of Lt. Cmdr. Anthony L. Velasquez, Camp Arifjan.
29 known accusations of molestation, gets two weeks confinement, and a BCD..
Should be serving 10-20 at Leavenworth..

Not saying all recruits are bad, some are outstanding. But the percentage of bad has increased dramatically, and with so many good soldiers/ sailors not re-upping (leaving after one or more tours), it becomes harder to get rid of the chaff....

Last edited:
Your son has made a tough and honorable choice. I hope he chooses a job that is enjoyable and relatively practical.

Originally Posted By: mattwithcats
What was his ASVAB score?

I would have gone Air Force first choice, then Navy, then Army.

Army has let in too many people with waivers, no high school diploma (dumb as a post), or criminals (rapists, thieves, and / or no moral fiber) in order to meet recruiting quotas...

The USAF is not exempt from the same issues the other branches have. I worked with more than one guy that didn't know which end of a screwdriver to use. The higher skilled jobs require higher ASVAB scores in all the branches. It's not like the Army lets you score a 20 on the ASVAB and claim you're a perfect aircraft mechanic candidate.

And btw, my ASVAB was 94, out of a possible 99...
22 years in, headed out the door again soon for deployment # 6.

Advice from an oldster...
Take the days one at a time, don't worry about yesterday or tomorrow, worry about "today", and how you can make it a great day, learn a lot, stay out of trouble, and enjoy yourself.

Sign up for on line college courses, and the money for college program (forgot the name).
Always have something to do, that involves stretching your mind.
I finished 40 college credit hours while on one deployment...

All the online stuff set me up me to get a 4 year college degree in 18 months...

Paid for by Uncle Sam too...

It seems that all divisions of our defense system have had some undesirables slip through the cracks in the application system.

I don't judge people based on there "Military Rep", I judge them based on what they're like as a person, some are the lower end of the frat type, some are just misguided, some were pushed by family, and some did what needed to be done, when it needed to be done, and were good about it. Those are the kinda people the military needs. The psudo "recruiting" (Read: really brainwashing) they did at my High school was pathetic, and they're only gonna get more of the wrong kinda people if they don't refine who there looking for, instead of cowering behind clever marketing, and trying to associate 100% 'Murican freedom and exceptionalism by joining the armed forces.

....maybe its just my political and social background, and my geographical location that makes me feel this way, IDK.

There is no greater honor than voluntarily serving your country. My thanks to you son. Take advantage of the opportunities available, learn a skill/trade and his sacrifice will pay dividends in his future.

Fair winds and following seas to your son.

Thank your son for me for his service. I gotta tell you though, after the way I've seen veterans turned into a political football the past few weeks, maybe we should change that to "thank you for your expendability"

I would be unhappy if my child joined the military, and I never thought that way before.

Don't do a lot of praying. But I will wish your son the best of luck. And keep and eye on him not changing to much. Being in family with to guys that both got injured in war, I have seen how it affects people. It is a honorable thing to join your country's armed forces. Be proud of him.

A question when joining the army in the US. does that automatically means you will be sent out to fight. Or can you have a position where you are only at home?

shDK- luck of the draw my man. Some MOS dont do much fighting if any (like medical MOS). However, everyone has to get in a truck and go somewhere at some time when they are in theater, so at some point all Soldiers may have to bring the fight to the enemy.

...Army has let in too many people with waivers, no high school diploma (dumb as a post), or criminals (rapists, thieves, and / or no moral fiber) in order to meet recruiting quotas...

Broad indictment. I am not suggesting OP would consciously dissimulate about his/her knowledge, however, linked references are requested. Especially in light of OP's subsequent claim to 22 years of experience and continuing education.

Originally Posted By: 95busa
shDK- luck of the draw my man. Some MOS dont do much fighting if any (like medical MOS). However, everyone has to get in a truck and go somewhere at some time when they are in theater, so at some point all Soldiers may have to bring the fight to the enemy.

Okay.. thanks for The info. :) interesting to hear how things work

Thank him for his service. Check out my sig line.

My son is coming home from his 4th deployment early July, 8 years went by real fast.

Originally Posted By: DoiInthanon
...Army has let in too many people with waivers, no high school diploma (dumb as a post), or criminals (rapists, thieves, and / or no moral fiber) in order to meet recruiting quotas...

Broad indictment. I am not suggesting mwcats would consciously dissimulate about his/her knowledge, however, linked references are requested. Especially in light of subsequent claim to 22 years of experience and continuing education.
Edit. Sorry for the earlier incorrect reference to OP. 5:00am is a little early for thinking at my age.

Last edited:
I hope your son can rise and be promoted through his talents and efforts.

I'd assume every branch favors their insiders (Academy grads followed by Reservists).
I hope he's not placed at or near the bottom rung of some internal "social hierarchy".

Best of luck to him. Kira

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Thank him for his service. Check out my sig line.

My son is coming home from his 4th deployment early July, 8 years went by real fast.

demarpaint - please thank him. I had no idea that your son was in the service.
34.gif

Originally Posted By: Kira
I hope your son can rise and be promoted through his talents and efforts.

I'd assume every branch favors their insiders (Academy grads followed by Reservists).
I hope he's not placed at or near the bottom rung of some internal "social hierarchy".

Best of luck to him. Kira

At some point, the service academy provides an edge, but it's only a tie breaker - performance trumps sourcing...

As an example, in my primary aviation training in the US Navy, there were several academy graduates. Common among them was the cockiness that they "knew it all" compared with us lowly Officer Candidates. Out of primary training, a pilot is selected for his/her "pipeline", jets, props, or helicopters. (You might remember the scene in "An Officer and a Gentleman" in which "Zak" is told by his girlfriend "get jets"). Among the young Ensigns in my class, jets were the clear preference (sorry helo guys, this was a year after Top Gun came out, and everyone wanted jets). The week that we finished, the Navy happened to need helo pilots, so for the 10 of us, there were 8 helo slots, 1 prop slot, 1 jet slot. Our grades were totaled up, and we picked in order of grades. As #1 in the class, I took the jet slot. Every USNA grad ended up in helicopters...a lesson in overconfidence...or underestimating your competition because they weren't "Academy"...

Now, GreecGuy's son isn't going into an officer billet, so there is no "insider track" via an Academy. In one of the last, great equalizing experiences in our society, he will get his head shaved, have his personal effects taken away, be issued a uniform, and be treated like everyone else, regardless of where they're from, how they did in high school, or who they know. From that moment on, all that matters is performance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back