Violent crime down, while gun sales are up

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: 123Saab
Originally Posted By: pottymouth
I'll continue to vote for and encourage other gun owners to vote for candidates that respect our rights. I'll continue to point out to gun owners that our rights are not some cafeteria plan and must be fought for in their entirety. You do what you like.

I want to keep my guns too, As does my wife.

She also wants equal pay and the right to have an abortion.

And government sponsored healthcare would be nice too.

What is she doing about it?

I'll continue to vote for and encourage other gun owners to vote for candidates that respect our rights. I'll continue to point out to gun owners that our rights are not some cafeteria plan and must be fought for in their entirety. You do what you like.

Running a Interim Executive Agency In NYC and the Philly area as well.

Oh and she Votes too.

Originally Posted By: dnewton3

- Fact: there is correlation between crime down and gun sales up, but where correlation is easy to see, we CANNOT assume direct causation; it would need to be proven via hard data. I, for one, believe that the anecdotal data is overwhelmingly massive and cannot be ignored, but my training does not allow me to just jump to conclusions.

Bolded for emphasis since many think it is just automatically the case. One must consider all possible correlations. It may also correlate well to how much coca-cola people buy, how many TVs or cars per capita, or how many babies are born named McKenzie.

I agree overwhelming data that must have a statistically significant relationship, but you put it well in terms of reality and analysis. Well said.

- Fact: doctors kill waaaaaayyyyyy more people by accident than guns kill people in total; it is the third leading cause of death in the US. Homicide does not even make the top 15.

So you propose that all gun owners have to be trained, licensed, registered and carry insurance in order to operate (e.g. CCW)? After all, all those things are implemented to reduce societal risk from something that is considered utilitarian and an agent of good, that can also have deathly consequences. Slippery slope there. That said, as was mentioned above, many people aren't mentally competent to carry. I dont, because of both laws (which I work within the state the change), and also because of the consistent and well based safety of my local surroundings which allows me to to choose not to under most scenarios even if I were granted the ability. So I cant even say that I would be mentally competent to carry, even with training and the fact that Im a decent shot with a lot of training for respect of things with a LOT of power that can easily kill or even vaporize you (easier than a gun).

The Second Amendment does not assure equal outcome, but it most certainly recognizes the right to have equal opportunity to repel the aggressor, be it a person or a government. And so limiting access to the tools of that right is a defacto means of smothering that right.

I have no objection to those that choose not to excercise their right. But I will not tolerate those who would take it away; for that I will not stand.

Facts tell me that oppression is ever-present in history, from all levels.
Facts tell me that oppression is best held in check with equal power at any given level.
Facts tell me that more guns does not equal more violence.
Facts tell me that other risks in life far outpace those of firearms.

Quoted for truth.

Running a Interim Executive Agency In NYC and the Philly area as well.

Oh and she Votes too.

So what point were you trying to make? Is it that such issues are mutually exclusive? If so, I disagree. If your wife wants these things, she should be fighting for all of them. Turning up at the polls is one small part of the fight.

Oh and she Votes too.

So what point were you trying to make? Is it that such issues are mutually exclusive? If so, I disagree. If your wife wants these things, she should be fighting for all of them. Turning up at the polls is one small part of the fight.

A warning to you in this side discussion; politics is a no-no and this needs to stop.

The gun discussion has been, for the most part, about facts relating to events, data and history. Those may continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back