Mann ML-1015 (Equinox 2.4 I4 DI) problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Agreed. Cartridge filter in my E430 never had any wavy pleats after in used for up to 12-13k miles, last one was 23k miles(changed oil without changing filter) and looks perfect without any tear nor any debris I can see between pleats.

The housing on your e430 is clearly a superior design. I think this is an ecotech problem not a cartridge problem.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Agreed. Cartridge filter in my E430 never had any wavy pleats after in used for up to 12-13k miles, last one was 23k miles(changed oil without changing filter) and looks perfect without any tear nor any debris I can see between pleats.

The housing on your e430 is clearly a superior design. I think this is an ecotech problem not a cartridge problem.

Actually the filter is- I assume HTSS_TR is talking about MANN model HU7185x which has a very robust design when compared to most other cartridges.

I think the filter housing is not responsible for the crushed cartridge filter(s), the problem is the filter is too long for the housing.

The 23k miles cartridge filter was standard paper Hengst, not the fleece MANN HU7185X. I had MANN, Mahle, Bosch, Hengst ... in the E430, all of them are very good after more than 10k miles, no wavy whatsoever.

Until the previous oil change I always change filter at every oil change, and looking at the filter condition I had a thought about reuse it for one more OCI, but I didn't like that idea. Until last year I decided to try it and removed the holder to check the filter condition every 2-3 months. It was looking good every time so I left it in for the full second OCI.

I may still have it in the garage, I will take a picture someday.

Is there any possibility that the filters are counterfeit, and not up to real Mann standards?

I'd contact Rock Auto for any traceability of the product they may have. I'd contact Mann and ask for ways to ID real versus imposter products.

Start with the basics first; assure what you have is really what you believe it to be. No company is going to cover this until the authenticity can be established first. Then the finger pointing can begin thereafter.

Originally Posted By: schwarz633
I'd like to direct this to Mann, but it's impossible to find any technical/customer support contact information on the web site.

I'm going to say it's not "impossible to find"; you must not have looked very hard; it's on the bottom of nearly every webpage ...
here is the Mann contact page:
https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/mann-filter/footer-menu/contact/usa/

Just in case you need it, the Rock Auto contact is there, too:
email them at: [email protected]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dnewton3
Is there any possibility that the filters are counterfeit, and not up to real Mann standards?

I'd contact Rock Auto for any traceability of the product they may have. I'd contact Mann and ask for ways to ID real versus imposter products.

Start with the basics first; assure what you have is really what you believe it to be. No company is going to cover this until the authenticity can be established first. Then the finger pointing can begin thereafter.

Originally Posted By: schwarz633
I'd like to direct this to Mann, but it's impossible to find any technical/customer support contact information on the web site.

I'm going to say it's not "impossible to find"; you must not have looked very hard; it's on the bottom of nearly every webpage ...
here is the Mann contact page:
https://www.mann-hummel.com/en/mann-filter/footer-menu/contact/usa/

Just in case you need it, the Rock Auto contact is there, too:
email them at: [email protected]

Emails sent to the address on that web page bounce.
Phone calls always go to voicemail and are not returned.
Rock Auto hasn't really been of any help.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
It looks to me like someone poked a hole in it,not a tear
Did you see this being removed?
Yes, that hole looks suspicious....(things not to say on a first date, BTW.).... Seriously it looks like sabotage, but why? Usually a dealer gets reimbursed for repairs and has no motive for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back