Dealer won't provide loaner car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought it was pretty common for dealers to give people who have cars that are still under warranty a loaner car?

My wife has reported that our 2013 Kia forte has been shifting hard intermittently.. I have not been able to reproduce this phenomenon yet. I called the service department and asked if they could get us a loaner car while ours is being fixed, they said they wouldn't.. fortunately my wife is on vacation all of next week so she won't need it to get to work.. but she also does not want to be stuck at home for 5 days.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences similar to this?

Thanks.

Check with Kia corporate. I would be surprised if they don't cover a loaner when the vehicle is in for a warranty claim. At some dealers the loaners are in short supply, so it's not entirely uncommon to have to wait a little for one to be available.

Years ago, I had to fight with the Pontiac dealer on a loaner for my recurring transmission leak. They gave me all kinds of excuses. One call to GM customer service and I had my loaner.

For KIA owners they would probably offer a Yugo loaner.Or maybe a Hyundai Excel.

No matter on the brand of the vehicle loaner options very from dealer to dealer.

Last vehicle I bought a couple of years ago among the paperwork signed was one that stated they do not provide a loaner vehicle.

Free loaners are the norm for Honda, even for something silly like interior trim squeaking or rattles.
Even for service such as maintenance Tbelt WP, the dealer will give free loaner.

My understanding is that loaners are paid for by the dealer unless the warranty job meets a labor time requirement by the mfg. For instance, I think Honda requires 4 hr of billable labor time (or a safety or driveability issue) before they will reimburse the loaner cost.

With that said, if the dealer can't reproduce the problem, they probably won't be paid for their time...so I doubt they'll put you in a loaner.

Last edited:
Hmm, I guess we will see what happens, hopefully they can try to narrow down the problem pretty quickly.. if they can even reproduce it..

Hopefully if they need to keep it for any length of time, I can talk them into getting us a loaner.

Pre-bankruptcy Chrysler.... absolutely not. It was written into the warranty that a loaner would NOT be provided.

A friend was without a 4x4 Dodge Ram Mega-Cab that was under factory warranty... when the steering box failed and there weren't any new replacement boxes availbable for over 6 weeks.

I was given a loaner on request when my Chevy was under the GM extended warranty... IF it was a repair that would require the dealer to keep it at least overnight. Otherwise it was two rides in the courtesy shuttle van.

A friend who has a BMW 3-series that is under factory warranty gets one of several base model Hyundai Sonata loaners from his dealer.

If you can't reproduce it for them, don't bother taking it in. You're just wasting your time.

I have it written into my purchase contract, the seller has to provide a free loaner if the car is at their shop for more than 2 hours.

When diagnostic is hard.its comon for car dealer to be shy about loaner .best bet is to call kia usa or wich even area of the planet you live .they ll work things out .car dealer tend to be aaaaarrrrggggg when a women come in.suddenly everything is a premium and everything else is a payable (upfront)option

If it's an overnight warranty repair, a free loaner is part of the warranty. If the dealer doesn't want to play ball, I'd hesitate to use that dealer, and I'd immediately get on the horn with Kia corporate.

you have to be careful about dealers.they are not all the same.
the kia I have now--where I purchased it from so far is great.i got a loaner once no questions asked.the next time they said a warranty repair would take an hour and it took an hour just like they said.
chyrsler is absolutely the WORST,period--had a caravan
ford so-so--service advisor stole my explorer for the long weekend when it was in the shop.he put 600 kms. on it.another ford dealer charged me for a warranty repair.never got a free loaner from them,only rental.
Honda hit and missnever really had to take it in.when I did I got a car.
Toyota same thing--some good some bad.

From my experience loaners are usually available at appointment only and depends on the car. My BMW dealership has run out of cars before. People don't return to pick up their vehicle in a timely manner or for example a 7 series owner was given your 3 series loaner because the loaner 7 hasn't come back.

Dealers have the right to prioritize loaners for people who bought a car from them vs A customer who bought from a competing dealer.

Originally Posted By: BMWTurboDzl
From my experience loaners are usually available at appointment only and depends on the car. My BMW dealership has run out of cars before. People don't return to pick up their vehicle in a timely manner or for example a 7 series owner was given your 3 series loaner because the loaner 7 hasn't come back.

Dealers have the right to prioritize loaners for people who bought a car from them vs A customer who bought from a competing dealer.

Yep. Loaners are a convenience, not an expectation. My Mercedes Dealer has about 70 loaners. I schedule service when it's convenient. If I want a loaner, I have to schedule farther in advance...they run out of loaners pretty quickly....

Originally Posted By: Astro14
My Mercedes Dealer has about 70 loaners. I schedule service when it's convenient. If I want a loaner, I have to schedule farther in advance...they run out of loaners pretty quickly....

I just checked... my local Mercedes dealer has half that (35)... but that number is how many new Mercedes that they have in their inventory for sale.

Originally Posted By: actionstan
I thought it was pretty common for dealers to give people who have cars that are still under warranty a loaner car?

My wife has reported that our 2013 Kia forte has been shifting hard intermittently.. I have not been able to reproduce this phenomenon yet. I called the service department and asked if they could get us a loaner car while ours is being fixed, they said they wouldn't.. fortunately my wife is on vacation all of next week so she won't need it to get to work.. but she also does not want to be stuck at home for 5 days.

Anyone have any thoughts or experiences similar to this?

Thanks.

It may require a simple computer programing. That is what they did for me and solved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back