Harley Sporty 883 Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am another user of 15W-40 (Mobil Delvac MX), also had UOA done on this oil with great results.
My riding is never above about 85F in the summer and down to around 35F in the winter. Not overly hot.
In the transmission I have used in the past Redline, too expensive but good, Formula + good and the Delvac also good.

37k miles on my engine.

If I were you in SoCal I would use 20W-50 grade.

Cheers

Last edited:
On my oldest bike (97 1200 Sportster w/mods) I been using Amsoil 20-50 both holes, year-round.
But once my stash is used up, I'll be trying VR1. Will see then how it goes. I've heard from some very satisfied VR1 users.

Thanks guys. I'll probably be using M1 15-50.

I've been all over the internet looking at this. Now that I have my owners manual, I want to point out one thing I've noticed that is a bit contrary to much popular discussion.

I can see no indication that there are any maximum temperature specs for any of the recommended oils. Including 15W40 with a diesel spec. The chart only refers to minimum temp specs for the oil.

Last edited:
Mobile 1 v-twin 20/50 is what many use. Valvoline 20/50 4-stroke is good too. I wouldn't use 40wt. Unless it gets below 40 50 degrees where you live, you can run 20/ 50 weight year round. Go join xl forum.com . Sportster gurus live there.

For my 2001 I like Syn3 for the transmission and Mobil 1 V-Twin for the engine. I tried the Mobil 1 V-Twin, for the trans, but shifting got rougher.

Drag Speciality and Bel-Ray still sell Sport trans fluid. Works good in the 05 back trannies with the straight cut gears. Quiets them down. 06 up sportsters got bigger main shafts and helical cut gears.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back