Old model tires that are still made

Status
Not open for further replies.
I remember back in the late 90's, probably '97 or '98, my dad put some General Ameri G4S tires on our two-tone Ford Windstar
smile.gif
Why I remember that, I have no idea, since I was only 8 or 9 years old at the time. Well lo and behold, they still make those exact same tires nearly 20 years later! From what I can tell, the tread pattern is still identical too. I'm not sure if the compound has been modified, though. It just got me thinking about other really old tire models are still being made. Seen any lately?

Michelin Symmetrys have been around since Hector was a pup. (mid-90's?)

I just remembered, the BFG T/A radials have been around since the 70's. The current tread pattern was introduced in the late 80's, IIRC.

Last edited:
The BFG Radial T/A has probably been made as long or longer than the All-Terrain T/A. I know I was buying them in the mid 80s and they'd been around a long time even then. Its nothing like the same tire it was 5 years ago, let alone 30 years ago, but the name and general appearance carries on. Even the tread looks very similar, but a close look reveals that its changed subtly several times over the years. Radial T/As are great for 60s and 70s vintage cars- they're available in the high-profile, wide, and meaty sizes that look good and function best on that era's cars, handle well, wear well. Good design so its no surprise its lasted forever.

There are still a few companies that make old style tires in old truck sizes.

I hope they still make reproduction ones in 7.50-16 when the Cherokee needs new tires!

GY Eagle RSAs have been around for quite some time. They may have been OK back in '97, but not even close to the competition now.

Strangely enough, some of these tires mentioned are the ones I see the most on police vehicles. You'd think they would spring for modern high-performance rubber, but Goodyear RS-A and BF Goodrich T/A are what I see on a lot of police cruisers.

Michelin TRX and Goodyear Polyglas tires are still being made, albeit in very small quantities.

Bridgestone also makes the OE Denloc tires for the Porsche 959.

Cooper still makes the Avon Turbosteel tires for old Rolls Royces.

Also, many retired tires get re-tired and sold as private labels, or some exclusive distribution deal. Pep Boys still offers the Falken Ziex ZE-329 and the Hankook Icebear, but they are now exclusive to Pep Boys even though they used to be "regular" distribution tires (sold everywhere).

The Mirada Sport GTX is some older Yokohama tire, still made by Yoko in Virginia.

Some tire companies have a flagship brand and a secondary brand. In some cases, an older tire design from the first brand transfers to the second line. I think Goodyear does this with Dunlop and Kelly.

The Bridgestone RE92 is still me made AFAIK. It falls in the same category as the Goodyear RSA someone else mentioned.

Goodyear Wrangler Radial. My truck is wearing a set, along with half the other Rangers/Explorers around here, many C1500s and pre-97 F-150s, and Cherokees. I don't think this tire has changed much if at all since the early '80s...they still have "RADIAL" proudly written on the sidewall.

They are sold in one size, 235/75R15. That's it. Still a hot seller at Wal-Mart and even the local Goodyear store.

Noisy after half the tread is gone, terrible in rain, and squishy feeling in turns, but they get the job done. Actually not the worst treadlife out of the tires that have been on this truck...it ate up the OE Continental ContiTracs in 20K miles. The Wrangler Radials are at 26K, but are getting loud and sketchy in rain. Still not at the wear bars though.

IMG_2706_zps85b917a0.jpg

Pic taken at around 13K miles, after a rotation, hence the feathering/cupping on the rear. Alignment on this truck is not totally compatible with old school A/Ts, but is in spec and tracks very straight. It just does this to these tires after a while. Rotated again a couple weeks ago.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn

The Mirada Sport GTX is some older Yokohama tire, still made by Yoko in Virginia.

I've also read claims that Mirada's are made by Ohtsu, or by Cordovan (a "ghost" manufacturer of off brands) based on a discontinued Yokohama mold.

However I am convinced that the rubber is also supplied by Yoko. I find there is a distinct mate, off-black color and texture to their products and the GTX Sport immediately said "Yokohama" to me.

Last edited:
Michelin TRX and Goodyear Polyglas tires are still being made, albeit in very small quantities.

But not by the OEM. They are licensed replicas by companies that obtain the rights to the names and the original molds.

Coker Tires

Kelsey Tires

The high prices reflect the fact they're made by hand in small quantities.

Originally Posted By: Darris

I've also read claims that Mirada's are made by Ohtsu, or by Cordovan (a "ghost" manufacturer of off brands) based on a discontinued Yokohama mold.

However I am convinced that the rubber is also supplied by Yoko. I find there is a distinct mate, off-black color and texture to their products and the GTX Sport immediately said "Yokohama" to me.

I've actually seen a GTX in person and read the tire DOT code. The plant (first two letters of the DOT code) is CC, which is Yokohama's factory in Salem, VA.

But possibly each of Mirada's tires could come from a different company. For example, the GTX is Yokohama, while another Mirada-brand tire could be Ohtsu/Falken/Sumitomo

A couple of thoughts:

First is that the NAME of a tire (or a vehicle or a breakfast cereal) can remain around for a long time, but that thing can be completely different. I am sure that a 2014 Mustang is not the same as a 1964 Mustang. I fact, I'll bet money you can't find a part that has remained the same. (No, I don't mean interchangeable. I mean identical.)

Second, is that tire molds wear out. The lettering and the crisp edges become blurred. At some point in time they would need to be refurbished or replaced - and if replaced, why not update the molds to the current technology? - and that's what they do.

Third is that every product is constantly undergoing running changes. Tires are no exception. Chemicals will no long be made and need to be replaced with something else. Prices of more or less equivalent things fluctuate.

Then there are the processes. I can tell you that in my 40 years in the business, there is virtually not a part of the process that hasn't changed. Some of the changes are massive, some not so much.

Oh, and 01rangerxl,

It's clear you have an alignment problem. That's the first thing about the photo that jumped out at me.

Yes, I know it's within specs, but long ago I determined that the published specs are way too wide (with a few exceptions) - and as a general rule, the alignment needs to be within the inner half of the tolerance.

Susceptibility to mis-alignment is something tire manufacturers have been working on for as long as I can remember. Simple grooves and ribs are the least susceptible and complex patterns more so, but there are ways to have a tread pattern that is good for snow traction AND resistant to irregular wear. But as a general rule, All Terrain tires are more susceptible than All Season tires.

You really ought to get a quick alignment. Nothing fancy, but you'll get more mileage out of that set and I think it will pay for itself in the extended life.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
Goodyear Wrangler Radial. My truck is wearing a set, along with half the other Rangers/Explorers around here, many C1500s and pre-97 F-150s, and Cherokees. I don't think this tire has changed much if at all since the early '80s...they still have "RADIAL" proudly written on the sidewall.

They are sold in one size, 235/75R15. That's it. Still a hot seller at Wal-Mart and even the local Goodyear store.

Noisy after half the tread is gone, terrible in rain, and squishy feeling in turns, but they get the job done. Actually not the worst treadlife out of the tires that have been on this truck...it ate up the OE Continental ContiTracs in 20K miles. The Wrangler Radials are at 26K, but are getting loud and sketchy in rain. Still not at the wear bars though.

Pic taken at around 13K miles, after a rotation, hence the feathering/cupping on the rear. Alignment on this truck is not totally compatible with old school A/Ts, but is in spec and tracks very straight. It just does this to these tires after a while. Rotated again a couple weeks ago.

I remember those came on Jeeps in the early 90s! I have a factory YJ Wrangler spare with one.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Oh, and 01rangerxl,

It's clear you have an alignment problem. That's the first thing about the photo that jumped out at me.

Yes, I know it's within specs, but long ago I determined that the published specs are way too wide (with a few exceptions) - and as a general rule, the alignment needs to be within the inner half of the tolerance.

Susceptibility to mis-alignment is something tire manufacturers have been working on for as long as I can remember. Simple grooves and ribs are the least susceptible and complex patterns more so, but there are ways to have a tread pattern that is good for snow traction AND resistant to irregular wear. But as a general rule, All Terrain tires are more susceptible than All Season tires.

You really ought to get a quick alignment. Nothing fancy, but you'll get more mileage out of that set and I think it will pay for itself in the extended life.

It probably could be aligned better, but given how straight it tracks and how good the handling is, I am hesitant to have someone mess around with it to eek a few more miles out of the cheap tires, and quick alignments might be part of its tire appetite. This truck has been aligned three times in its life by two different shops (one a dealer), and has never passed 35K or so on a set of tires. These will make it that far. Worst life was 20K on the factory tires. I may get it checked to see where it's at, but I'm not holding my breath for someone to get the alignment just right to where the truck will run a set of tires for 50K miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back