Valvoline Maxlife vs Castrol GTX high mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use the oil and I would use the 10W30 in the summer and the 5W30 in the winter. It is a very robust oil and should work great in your car.

Would supertech high mileage oil be Valvoline maxlife in disguise? I just did an oil change and put in that oil in my 95 Camry 4cyl, 160,xxx miles.One of the valve stems seals are a little worn and sometimes smokes upon cold startup.So i'll post if there is ant difference with this oil.

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Would supertech high mileage oil be Valvoline maxlife in disguise? I just did an oil change and put in that oil in my 95 Camry 4cyl, 160,xxx miles.One of the valve stems seals are a little worn and sometimes smokes upon cold startup.So i'll post if there is ant difference with this oil.

No. There is no connection between Valvoline and the Super Tech branded oils.

Originally Posted By: chevrofreak
Poor Castrol
LOL.gif

Don't worry, the second GTX goes on sale, someone will discover how miraculously wonderful it is and it will become the new bitog sleeper oil.

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
I was going to go with the 10W-40 because I'm trying to reduce oil consumption on this car, so I figure thicker oil will be better... Of course I am assuming that 10W-40 is thicker than 5W-30.... no the lower the number the thicker it is, right? =P

I'd try 10W-30 first. But both the 5W-30 and 10W-30 are pretty thick at temperature when compared to conventional oils in the same grade...

Originally Posted By: daves66nova
Well, i'm at 162,xxx miles and the oil is finally starting to get a little dark! I've ried 15w40 before with mmo and didn't even notice the oil this dark.Hmmm, wonder if this st oil has stronger detergents?

I would highly recommend the excellent Q-State Higher Milage engine (red bottle) oin a 10w-30 grade (NO 10w-40!!!). The oil vis is already pumped up in the Higher Milage formulation to near 40wt. It is the best conventional I've run in older motors. Probably no fans of this stuff here - but I'm an engine guy and this stuff is super. Hate other Q-State stuff - especially Q-HP.

I have gone with the Castrol product on my 03 Camry which now has 195k on the clock. We started using this at 180k and so far the car seems to like it. After the first oil change the car picked up some mileage and I swear it runs smoother. I use Castrol in all my cars, including my 2005 Passat TDI in which I use Castrol Turbo Diesel Edge fully synthetic 5w40. That car requires the special 505.01 oil and that oil meets that standard. Now that said, Valvoline makes great oil too. It just happens that the GTX high mileage is cheaper by a buck or two at supplier.

Originally Posted By: leicaman
I have gone with the Castrol product on my 03 Camry which now has 195k on the clock. We started using this at 180k and so far the car seems to like it. After the first oil change the car picked up some mileage and I swear it runs smoother. I use Castrol in all my cars, including my 2005 Passat TDI in which I use Castrol Turbo Diesel Edge fully synthetic 5w40. That car requires the special 505.01 oil and that oil meets that standard. Now that said, Valvoline makes great oil too. It just happens that the GTX high mileage is cheaper by a buck or two at supplier.

Congrats on bumping a five year old thread...
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back