How can changing tires be so difficult?!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
IMO Goodyear is the worst tire franchise out there among all, worse than Walmart, Firestone, Big O, Discount, Wheelworks.

One time I went there for alignment they said I need a camber kit, ok, I tell them to install a camber kit and 4 hours later at 5pm they said they had a mislabeled box kit themselves and tell me to come back the next Monday. I already paid for the alignment at the time.

They gave the car back to me with alignment bolt turning to the wrong place, and my car drives weird the whole weekend, AFTER I PAID FOR THE ALIGNMENT and they ran out of camber kit.

Then I complain to the HQ and the HQ phone person said the franchise owner is responsible for all that, and they can't do anything to enforce service quality.

My other friend told me they ask for $120 to read a CEL code out of a car, just reading, not diagnose or fixing anything, and that's non refundable and on top of any additional repair and diagnostic afterward.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Is that a PLASTIC jacking point on this fine German machine?

German cars have been using rubber/plastic jack pads since the 70's if not before can't remember. Prevents you from having to mess with wood.

Last edited:
Exactly. But I like the ones that are more solid and have a pad, versus these hollow types that need some interface (square peg).

Ah, some mounter head drag and what looks like a bar snap. It's a constant problem especially for inexperienced techs, but even the best will have a bad day sometimes.

Low profile tires makes it worse. Low profile runflats makes it infinitely worse. The stiff sidewalls tend to pull the mounter head down until it makes contact with the wheel.

Quote:
I don't know what I'm talking about, but I suspect that on wheels without an outer rim lip, that tires should be mounted from the backside.

Not with those wheels. Usually it's only wheels with a very deep dish that will be reverse-mount. Reverse-mounting can be even more dangerous sometimes, as it can be incredibly tough to get the clamps onto the face without f-ing the finish.

I've written about some ways that customers can avoid the issue or deal with it when it occurs:

http://tires.about.com/od/wheel_safety_m...Your-Wheels.htm

I've also written about how to train tire techs to not damage wheels:

http://www.tirereview.com/reduce-risk-mounting-tires/

Finally, here's some info about reconditioning and refinished wheels:

http://tires.about.com/od/wheel_safety_maintenance/fl/Reconditioned-Wheels.htm

Hope it helps.

Thanks - Ill review. Got the call from Goodyear manager to go ahead with the repairs.

Originally Posted By: pottymouth
Originally Posted By: shDK
i really don,t get why some people here, apparently think. That choosing a tyre chain store was the costumers own fault. if a workshop accepts the work the costumer asks for. then the shop must do it, and the result should be spotless. if the shop make a damage by accident. they they will repair it or pay for it if they don,t have the skills them selves.

here we don,t have special wheel shops for big or high performance wheels. mostly wheelshops here do anything from sportscars to farming equipment and semi-trucks.

It's not his fault, but it is reality. A chef wouldn't go to Olive Garden for a top-notch meal, a supermodel doesn't go to Supercuts and I'll bet that Wayne Carini doesn't drop a Duesenberg off at Maaco for a paint job. those establishments all have their place, but you would have to be crazy to think that they will be able to satisfy a discriminating customer. The OP is clearly fastidious about his car. Most people are not. He is not likely to be satisfied with the overall experience that a chain can provide. He might get lucky sometimes, but the fact is that the chains are all about volume. Also, their employees generally have little incentive to give a [censored] whereas your local independent stakes his living on his reputation.

I understand this was a warranty issue. It's a tough decision. You can get the warranty replacement you are entitled to knowing there is a better than average change your car will be mistreated. On the other hand, you can choose to pay for the tire yourself and have it mounted somewhere that you trust. I doubt the tire manufacturer would just hand someone the tire and let them go somewhere else, but stranger things have happened.

My wife is entitled to free car washes at the VW dealer anytime it is in for service. I know what kind of a wash that will be and the swirls and other paint marks it will leave. I have her refuse it every time. Sometimes that which is free isn't really free at all.

OP: I hope you get your new wheel.

Pottymouth, you are right about real world service, but the guy from Denmark is right also. "If the shop accepts the job" they should DO IT RIGHT. We don't receive excellence because we accept something less. I get what you're saying but while I a scuff or scratch on my wheels may not get my attention OP is right to expect his car returned in the same condition he left it in.
Poster, don't weaken... make em make it right !

Thanks. They are. I'll take it to my guy probably Thursday to replace the wheel and lifting block with new ones from the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If you had normal sizes rims and tires instead of low profile, I bet this would not happen.

Define "normal size rims and tires." Over the years, there has been a push by all manufacturers toward lower profile tires. Something that you would consider low profile 10-20 years ago is fairly typical/normal today.

With the market changing, tire shops need to keep up and learn how to deal with these without butchering your rims.

I am adding this picture to my long list of reasons to avoid low profile tires:
CYKxJD2.jpg

Holy wheelweights Batman!

Actually when I was at my BMW Indy, I showed him the damage and he looked at the weights they stuck on and couldn't believe it.

Aren't there marks (colored spots) on the tires to recommend what to align to the inflation nipple or some other point on the wheel? I'd imagine if that isn't followed, more weight is needed?

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
That's a bad tire or wheel.

I'm guessing a Pepboys special.

305/35R24??!? I'd say so. For a hoopty for sure. Likely no name wheel and tire.

I've never heard of the company that makes that 24" tire, a company called "Dcenti". I agree with hattaresguy, bad wheel and/or tire.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Holy wheelweights Batman!........

Humor is always a good way to get an idea across.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
.......Aren't there marks (colored spots) on the tires to recommend what to align to the inflation nipple or some other point on the wheel? I'd imagine if that isn't followed, more weight is needed?

Nope. It isn't clear what you are trying to say, but:

a) The fact that someone is not following a non-existing standard, is not an indicator of quality.

b) Even if the tire has the dots, the dots aren't about weight. They are about "round" - and imbalance is completely separate from round.

That has nothing to do with low profile and everything to do with a poor operator. There is something wrong and the operator isn't paying attention. It might be the wheel; it might be the tire; it might be the balancer; or it just might be something else. But the operator should have stopped after the second weight.

Your photo is a great reason to avoid the tire shop that did this, but that's about it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

Your photo is a great reason to avoid the tire shop that did this, but that's about it.

Exactly. Morons at work...

Once again you folks have given me a great idea for an article. My Tire Review column is aimed at tire techs, and I have in mind an article on what to do when the balancer starts "chasing weights" like that.

Zzyzzx: Can I use your picture for the article? It's a perfect illustration of what not to do.

CapriRacer: I would say that there are four possible causes for this.

1. A serious imbalance, maybe fixable by match mounting with a road force balancer.

2. Tire and/or wheel out of round, sometimes also fixable by match mounting.

3. Bad centering, either because the cone is in wrong or the hub center is damaged. Maybe needs lug centering.

4. Bad balancer calibration.

Any other causes/remedies you can think of?

Originally Posted By: AboutTires
Once again you folks have given me a great idea for an article. My Tire Review column is aimed at tire techs, and I have in mind an article on what to do when the balancer starts "chasing weights" like that.

Zzyzzx: Can I use your picture for the article? It's a perfect illustration of what not to do.

CapriRacer: I would say that there are four possible causes for this.

1. A serious imbalance, maybe fixable by match mounting with a road force balancer.

2. Tire and/or wheel out of round, sometimes also fixable by match mounting.

3. Bad centering, either because the cone is in wrong or the hub center is damaged. Maybe needs lug centering.

4. Bad balancer calibration.

Any other causes/remedies you can think of?

Water or something in the tire. I hate to admit it, but a couple of years ago I had 1 tire out of 4 that I kept chasing weights around. Drove me crazy. Finally pulled the tire back off, and there was the packing slip that I'd forgot I stuck inside of the tire. Couldn't believe how much just a piece of paper screwed up the balancing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back