What would you put in a 05 T-56?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've never seen more inconsistent info on other forums then when I searched what fluid to put in my CTS-V T56. Cadillac says it never needs changed but we know better. I don't know if it has even been drained but I'm sure it hasn't been done in atleast the past 40,000 miles. The transmission shifts great. The factory fill was Dex III, supposedly DexVI shouldn't be used. Personally I think Synchomesh is too thick and I was not impressed with it in my 03 Cobra. Synthetic ATF seems to give some users issues when shifting fast (slick synchronizers.)

I've collected a small pile of different unopened Dex III bottles. I'm hoping bitog has a more educated opinion.

Dedicatd or Application Specific MTL fluids are the better choice these days such as below:

Quote:
Manual Transmission Fluids (MTL) Fluids containing MTL Application Specific Additive Packages with GL-4 Ratings

Choosing a Manual Transmission fluid can be confusing.

Many times there is simply a specification referenced and no information about the viscosity of a fluid at 100C, where the oil viscosity is documented at the higher testing temperature.

What I recommend you do when looking for a replacement fluid is to determine the viscosity of the fluid at 100C either from the manufacturer's Product Data Sheet or from a New oil Analysis or VOA.

After knowing the viscosity at 100C (212F), one can then attempt to match up the fluid to one or more of those below:

A. The four MTL fluids closest to a Kinematic Viscosity of 6.1 (About the same viscosity as a DexronVI) or so are:

1. Castrol Syntrans FE 75W,

2. BMW (Pentosin) MTF-LT-3,

3. Honda MTII or MTF 2.

4. Ford FML-XT-11-QDC

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.5 cSt versions (About the same viscosity as a DexronIII)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2

C. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

Fwiw when I was replacing the trans fluid in my GT, I called Tremec directly and spoke with one of the engineers. This may not apply to the T-56, but they said very specifically that Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF was the best fluid for the TR-3650. 4 years and 40k later and I'm still buttery smooth even when beating on it.

Give them a call, they were open and friendly with me. Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: tony1679
Fwiw when I was replacing the trans fluid in my GT, I called Tremec directly and spoke with one of the engineers. This may not apply to the T-56, but they said very specifically that Mobil 1 Full Synthetic ATF was the best fluid for the TR-3650. 4 years and 40k later and I'm still buttery smooth even when beating on it.

Give them a call, they were open and friendly with me. Hope this helps.

They may have said they were engineers, but engineers and tribologists are too expensive to be answering telephones.

What you usually get is a partially trained individual with a computer script and ready-made answers.

Feel free to use whatever fluid that marketing hype and interrnet myth presents you - my point is that ATF is not a preferred fluid for manual transmissions.

Dedicated MTL fluids with the correct viscosity specification and additive package have many advantages over ATF.

Last edited:
I have just installed (a few days ago) a fluid on Mola Kule's suggested list above; namely, the Ravenol MTF-2, in my T56.

I will let you know how it performs in the weeks to come, but so far, very good, and I KNOW that it is protecting everything in this gearbox much better than the recommended Dex 3 ATFs would, being a very thin, GL-4 MTL.
wink.gif

daily driver, you're a great tester since your trans has high mileage. Where did you buy it? Seems hard to find.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
They may have said they were engineers, but engineers and tribologists are too expensive to be answering telephones.

What you usually get is a partially trained individual with a computer script and ready-made answers.

Feel free to use whatever fluid that marketing hype and interrnet myth presents you - my point is that ATF is not a preferred fluid for manual transmissions.

Dedicated MTL fluids with the correct viscosity specification and additive package have many advantages over ATF.

I think I would know the difference between a scripted answer and a real answer. There were no internet myths or marketing hype involved. What he said was "they have tried almost every fluid known to man, and that gave the best results." This was a 15 minute call with elaborate details. Details a phone jockey wouldn't understand.

I think I will take my transmission fluid advice direct from the transmission manufacturer based on test results. Not someone who ASSUMES the same information is hype or myth.

I think I would know the difference between a scripted answer and a real answer. There were no internet myths or marketing hype involved. What he said was "they have tried almost every fluid known to man, and that gave the best results." This was a 15 minute call with elaborate details. Details a phone jockey wouldn't understand.

I think I will take my transmission fluid advice direct from the transmission manufacturer based on test results. Not someone who ASSUMES the same information is hype or myth.

I'd take my advice from Molakule. You won't find many tribologists spending their free time giving valuable advice.

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
I'd take my advice from Molakule. You won't find many tribologists spending their free time giving valuable advice.

Wow. People and their assumptions.

MolaKule - apparently your wisdom is vast. Since I will be changing the trans fluid again in my TR-3650, what is your suggestion for the fluid I should use? How much? Additives? Let's put your wisdom to the test...

B. The next higher viscosity MTL would be the 7.5 cSt versions (About the same viscosity as a DexronIII)

1. Royal Purple's Synchromax

2. Ravenol MTF-2

3. Honda MTF

4. VW part number G052512A2

5. GM Manual Transmission and Transfer Case Fluid

6. BMW (Pentosin MTF 2) MTF-LT-1, 2

C. The next higher viscosity MTL would be Castrol Syntrans V FE 75W-80 8.0cSt

Tony i thought you might not be familiar with our membership since your a new member, just trying to help you find the best fluid for your application. These are the fluids he posted in bold which is the list you can choose from.

Wow. People and their assumptions.

MolaKule - apparently your wisdom is vast. Since I will be changing the trans fluid again in my TR-3650, what is your suggestion for the fluid I should use? How much? Additives? Let's put your wisdom to the test...

I suspect you are being facetious, but any of the bolded MTs in post #3397787 will provide better wear protection and synchro engagement than any ATF.

No additives are needed.

I would purchase a total of 4 quarts as you will need to fill with about 3.2 quarts. Don't overfill as excessive foaming could result.

+1

The T56's are known to not like synchromesh. Most Mustang guys, including myself, have gone with Royal Purple SynchroMAX and it's much better.

Going from Mobil1 to synchromax made my TR3650 feel a lot smoother. Same for my buddies '03 Cobra, his T56 was a ton smoother to drive.

Originally Posted By: Shark
daily driver, you're a great tester since your trans has high mileage. Where did you buy it? Seems hard to find.

It is VERY hard to find, and only ONE distributor/retailer is currently (only as of late May) bringing it into our country, Blauparts is their name, and they are a mainly Teuton nameplate parts/maintenance supply company located in Wisconsin.

When I spoke to the Tremec techs IN DETAIL about T56 fluids, what I got from them is that they did NOT sit and test EVERY single usable fluid out there in these gearboxes, as they had neither the time, nor the inclination to do so.

They even admitted that the Dex 3 'requirement' was so that the dealers could keep less bulk stock on hand in the service dept. since 99.9% of the cars they sell are slushboxes.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: AdRock
The T56's are known to not like synchromesh. Most Mustang guys, including myself, have gone with Royal Purple SynchroMAX and it's much better.

Going from Mobil1 to synchromax made my TR3650 feel a lot smoother. Same for my buddies '03 Cobra, his T56 was a ton smoother to drive.

That's funny, since when I tried the RP in my T56, I had to dump it the very next day, because it was so horrid as far as grinding EVERY gear, and had such 'balky' shifting.
frown.gif

Now the Termis may have used the Viper's version of the T56 which I believe has different blocker rings than mine, so that could be why he had success with the RP.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: AdRock

Synchromax is a synchromesh MTL of 7.4 cSt viscosity at 100C.

Were you referring to Pennzoil Syncromesh, a 9.3 cSt fluid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back