Best 20W-50, 3-Hole Oil for Harley V-Twin Tourer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a hot running big V-twin needs a REAL synthetic, group IV + or V. that rules many out. Amsoil or Redline are the best REAL synthetics, mobil I V-Twin isn't far behind. Amsoil's high TBN will allow 5,000 mile changes easily. in my sporty i changed 20-50 Amsoil at the end of riding season, i ride like you, not into icy temps, rain, or snow for sure! never needed any additional oil between changes either. tried amsoil + redline gear lubes, not much help fot the clunky tranny maybe the heavier lubes out now may be a bit better

Last edited:
You may want to do a little research on Lucas Motorcycle oil.
There is a UOA on this site. (not the best results)

Originally Posted By: FenderGuy53
Guys, I am a complete neophyte when it comes to evaluating the characteristics of motorcycle oil, so I defer to the experts here for assistance in choosing a suitable motor oil that not only excels in performance and protection, but also is suitable for use in all three (3) holes of my 2011 HD Street Glide.

I'm a conservative, fair weather rider and I only ride from late April through November, in temps averaging 55-95 degrees.

My owner manual recommends a 20W-50 oil and I would prefer motorcycle specific brands. Also, I'd like to be able to achieve 3000-5000 mile OCI's.

So, whaddayathink? Any good options out there?

Thanks, guys

To keep it simple, I use Mobil 1 20-50 in engine and primary and Mobil 1 75-90 in the trans. You will notice the difference after that HD [censored]. People on here have said that you don't need to worry about what kind of oil in the primary but you have a plastic chain tensioner in there that you don't want to wear out prematurely.

I just did my oil change last week. I have Delo 15W-40 in the engine and primary (all stock motor that's not run hard), H-D Performance + in the tranny. I plan on changing the Delo at 2000 miles, the filter at 4,000. I figure 15W-40 at 2,000 miles is better than 20W-50 when it approaches 5K. I'm the only rider (seldom ride 2-up), but if the bike was run hard or raced I would probably be too scared to run truck oil in the engine.

Quote:
have Delo 15W-40 in the engine and primary (all stock motor that's not run hard), H-D Performance + in the tranny.

Why run 15w-40 in a stock HD engine? Does it have an Oil cooler on it?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:
have Delo 15W-40 in the engine and primary (all stock motor that's not run hard), H-D Performance + in the tranny.

Why run 15w-40 in a stock HD engine? Does it have an Oil cooler on it?

Why not run 15-40 diesel oil in a stock HD engine?

Originally Posted By: RISUPERCREWMAN
You cannot go wrong with Spectro 20-50 V-Twin for the engine, Spectro 6-Speed Syn for the trans, & Spectro HD Primary oil for the primary.

I also use Spectro except for the crank case. Mobil 1 VTwin there for me.

I hear a number of people talk about their hot running HD's. How hot are we talking about? In 70 degree weather my Sporty oil get's to a full 160 degrees.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back