Red Line or Valvoline Syn for 2014 HD Road King?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get Valvoline Motorcycle 20-50 Syn for $6.00 quart, Red line is about $14.00 quart. Bike has just under 3,000 miles, getting ready to change oil, what would you do?

You can run what you like but I wouldn't pay 14 bucks for a qt of oil. Im running Valvoline vr1 synthetic 20w50 in mine, you don't have to use a motorcycle oil in the engine. I bought the vr1 on clearance for 2.67 a qt. Some people run rotella 15w40 with good results.
Im sure the 6 dollar oil will work just as well as the 14 dollar oil.

Last edited:
I do not own a bike, but my .02:

I've had stellar results with Valvoline Synpower in both vehicles in my sig. I would guess the formulation is similar to VR1.

I've always heard red line is great, but $14 a bottle...?

VR1 or Kendall GT1 20w50 for the engine. Both have the support of stellar UOA's on here for Twin Cam harley motors. Excellent wear protection from both. And both are very very inexpensive.

I know the Valvoline conv MC 20w50 is pretty highly rated on this site. I used it with no problems, albeit not in a Harley. I'd assume the Valvoline syn MC to perform similarly to the conv, and $6/qt is a good price for even PCMO syn. IMHO, I'd never pay $14/qt for oil unless it was absolutely necessary, there are plenty of good oils in the $3-7/qt range.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back