2012 toyota tundra 5.7 0w30 when towing???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Technically the 0w30 will run a bit hotter and push the oil pressure up a bit. I don't think it will be a problem, but why are you wanting to deviate from the manufacturer recommendation?

Originally Posted By: trod30
Toyota recommends 0w20. What is the disadvantage to using 0w30 when towing? 6000lbs trailer and 100 degree weather?

The Tundra's 5.7 has an engine oil cooler. Don't be afraid of 0W-20 when towing in warm weather. I would recommend TGMO 0W-20 (Toyota Genuine Motor Oil)

From Mobil Website.

Ask Mobil Ask Mobil
Any Concerns with Using a 15W-50 Viscosity Motor Oil When Towing a Heavy Load?

Ask Your Stickiest Question. . . Or ask us something you’ve always wanted to know about using our products. We’ll sort through all the submissions and present the best questions to our automotive experts. We'll share the questions and their answers here.

Question:
Any Concerns with Using a 15W-50 Viscosity Motor Oil When Towing a Heavy Load?
I have an '07 Tundra 5.7 I-force. Toyota calls for 0W-20 or 5W-20. My mechanic wants to run 15W-50 since I tow a 7500-lb travel trailer on a monthly basis. I have noticed tapping when the engine is cold when I use 15W-50. Will the heavier weight oil damage the engine?
-- Kevin Edewaard, Tallahassee, FL

Answer:
We recommend that you follow your manufacturer's recommended viscosity grade. The engine has been designed hydraulically to handle the 20 grade oil. It will also provide better low temperature pumping at start-up, allowing oil to get to the top end quicker which may quiet the tapping you hear on start-up.

Thinner oil cools better, the disadvantages of thicker oil could be higher engine temperatures but with an oil cooler should be negligible although possibly measurable.

Google the Penrite Oil Australian site you will see that it promotes the extra w10 so according to the Penrite philosophy running a w-30 in a vehicle designed for a 0w-20 is a standard recommendation in Australia.

BTW check the OEM manual the oil grade recommendations are usually linked to climate.

Also check the Redline Oil Company Australian website you will note that it recommends different grades of oils for various operating conditions and climates eg below 25deg C. and that oil brand claims to use high temperature PAO, ester oils etc for hot operating conditions.

Last edited:
I just figured with the fairly heavy trailer weight and the warm northern California weather, that I would be putting a decent strain on the motor and therefore may need a oil with a higher viscosity? If you guys are telling me no need, then I am fine with running 0w20. I just want to do what's best for the engine.

Toyota recommends 10k oil change intervals with the 0w20. The manual states if you were to use 0w30 that its recommended to change oil at 5000 miles.

They call out that interval specifically for a 0W-30?

Toyota recommends 10k oil change intervals with the 0w20. The manual states if you were to use 0w30 that its recommended to change oil at 5000 miles.

I believe the Toyota manuals say that 0w20 is recommended, but that a heavier grade of oil may be used if driving a high speeds or under a heavy load. Read the manual very carefully, but I believe they leave the window open for thicker oils under certain circumstances. Nothing wrong with 0w20, but if I were towing in the heat in a Tundra I'd probably move up to a 0w30 or 5w30 synthetic. Just my opinion.

Toyota recommends 0w20. What is the disadvantage to using 0w30 when towing? 6000lbs trailer and 100 degree weather?

None. I would be inclined to run a 10w30 synthetic.

Originally Posted By: Alex38
I believe the Toyota manuals say that 0w20 is recommended, but that a heavier grade of oil may be used if driving a high speeds or under a heavy load. Read the manual very carefully, but I believe they leave the window open for thicker oils under certain circumstances. Nothing wrong with 0w20, but if I were towing in the heat in a Tundra I'd probably move up to a 0w30 or 5w30 synthetic. Just my opinion.

Yep, they started doing since XW20 were phased in. Reading between the lines, xW20 are good for most but not all drivers. Surprise, surprise
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Doog

None. I would be inclined to run a 10w30 synthetic.

This what I use in my toyota while pulling a boat. Different toyota though.

Ok went and grabbed the owners manual. I was wrong sorry. It states if 5w20 is used, that it must be replaced with 0w20 at the next oil change. It also states. An oil with a higher viscosity than 0w20 may be better suited if the vehicle is operated at high speeds or under extreme load conditions.
So how I understand it, 0w30 is going to protect under load better than 5w20 or 0w20 right?
Also what is the concern with using the 0w30 besides a slightly higher oil?

use the 0w20 it works!
0w30 wont hurt but it will run a bit hotter and take a second or two more to reach places.

the nj State Police learned the hard way a number of their service barracks used heavier oil in the winter and had problems the vics use 5w20 and they are beat all day and night and run flawlessly for over 300,000 first Police the Taxi then who knows.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
the vics use 5w20 and they are beat all day and night and run flawlessly for over 300,000 first Police the Taxi then who knows.

There is a difference between towing the max load and idling 24/7.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back