Valvoline Maxlife oil filter (MC FL820S equivalent)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here are a few pictures of the new Valvoline Maxlife oil filter #VF2, that I purchased today. It fits my wife's '97 Ford Expedition 4.6L. It is basically equivalent to a Motorcraft FL820S, except it does not appear to have a silicone ADBV.
 -

-

-

I have a vf3600, (xref for the mc fl400s) on my shelf out in the garage that looks like it does have a silicone adbv...it's orange anyway.
I'm not sure if other part numbers had it. I just checked that one when I bought it (still waiting on the rebate!). It looked just like the fl400s from what I could see. I haven't used it yet, but I'll be cutting it up after I've used it.

wayne:

OK, this probably means nothing, but "VF2" sounds mighty close to FRAM's numbering system...their version of the FL820S is a PH2.

The more important difference is the apparent lack of a silicone ADBV. I have to believe that Ford specified a silicone valve on the Motorcraft FL820S for some reason they consider important, or they would most certainly use a nitrile valve and save the added cost. FRAM's PH2 doesn't have a silicone valve, either...

Just speculating here...

*EDIT*: OK, I just saw the "Engineered by Purolator" on the box...so at least we know the filter's not a FRAM clone...but my other comment still stands...

quote:

Originally posted by RF Overlord:
wayne:

OK, this probably means nothing, but "VF2" sounds mighty close to FRAM's numbering system...their version of the FL820S is a PH2.

The more important difference is the apparent lack of a silicone ADBV. I have to believe that Ford specified a silicone valve on the Motorcraft FL820S for some reason they consider important, or they would most certainly use a nitrile valve and save the added cost. FRAM's PH2 doesn't have a silicone valve, either...

Just speculating here...

*EDIT*: OK, I just saw the "Engineered by Purolator" on the box...so at least we know the filter's not a FRAM clone...but my other comment still stands...

Not unusual for any of the filter manufactuers to include Purolaor or even Champ to mimick Frams number system when they are subcontracted to produce a "house" brand. Helps potential new customers in buying a new product since many already know the Fram number for their filter needs.

Hootbro

quote:

Originally posted by LT4 Vette:
Does MaxLife oil filter use the same paper media as the Purolator Pure One filter ??

I don't know, & since I don't plan to use a Pure One filter on the Expedition in the future, we may not find out.

FWIW, I will cut this filter open when I'm done with it. It will be used for 3-4k miles.

[ June 30, 2005, 11:11 PM: Message edited by: wavinwayne ]

I had originally planned to, but I decided against it. I've got so much oil to go through, I'll only be running the Havoline out to 3-4k miles. At that mileage, I feel that a UOA would not be worth it.

I've still got many, many oil changes worth of QS dino & 10w30 4x4 semi-synthetic oil to use up. If I go 5k or longer between OCI's, I'll wake up one day to find a new vehicle in the garage that I can't use this 10w30 oil in.

One thing you'll learn as you watch me on this forum; I'm extremely wishy-washy & have a very hard time making up my mind. Always take what I say with a grain of salt.
smile.gif

I just put a VF3600 on my Taurus today. The ADBV was orange, so I assume it is silicone. And the bypass valve was in the threaded end. Looks encouraging so far.

And what magic does a MaxLife filter offer us for our high mileage vehicles? Certainly there is some fantastic claim?

quote:

Originally posted by Strjock81:
And what magic does a MaxLife filter offer us for our high mileage vehicles? Certainly there is some fantastic claim?

The claim to fame on the front of the box is: "Removes 50% more sludge to help improve engine life". Well, seeing as how the engine this filter is going on doesn't have any sludge, it should be a pretty dang good filter.......we shall see.

The rest of the writing on the side of the filter box is as follows:

When your engine has over 75,000 miles, it needs a different oil filter.

Ring wear and valve deposits cause more grime and sludge.
Sludge particles in the oil reduce engine protection.

Unlike regular filters, Maxlife has special components to help keep engines cleaner and extend engine life.

Special filter media removes more sludge to help prevent deposits and improve engine protection.

Don't pollute. Take used oil to collection centers.

Questions? Comments? Call 1-800-TEAM-VAL

It looks like a Pureone painted a different color, at least to me. Maybe the special component to keep the engine cleaner is submicronic filtration.

I was also looking at FL820S equivalent filters to fit a Duratec v6. ADBV of Motorcraft was orange, PuroPP was black. The Motorcraft and Purolator Premium Plus both have the pressure relief near the end with the holes. The Purolator Proline has a conventional pressure relief at the closed end. The equivalent old STP and AC have clicker valves like Champ. Bosch is clicker valve. The newer STP and Supertech are Ecores. Ended up buying the Purolator PP. Was not at ___mart today. Probably would have prefered the Motorcraft if it were lower priced. Filter access is not very good on the Duratec.

What do these MaxLife filters cost?

The FL-820S filters I stocked up on when Wal-Mart was pulling MoCraft off the shelves a few months ago were $2.99.

$3 for OEM filter is a bargain to me.

quote:

Originally posted by Islandvic:

The FL-820S filters I stocked up on when Wal-Mart was pulling MoCraft off the shelves a few months ago were $2.99.

Exactly.

I paid $3.44 ea for a couple FL820S at Advance Auto in Maine a couple weeks ago, for my brother's 04 F150. He pays close to $10. Cdn for those over here.

I doubt the MaxLife is cheaper and/or is of better quality than the Motorcraft.

I buy things too that with free MIR's that otherwise I would not have.

cheers.gif

Lately I have picked up the following free w/ MIR....

E1 Bucket Free Car Wash
TW Platnium Wax
Chevron Techron
E1 Tire Shine

quote:

Originally posted by Islandvic:

The Valvoline filter was $5.88 at AAP. Even though I'm the one who bought this filter, IMO there is no reason to purchase this filter over an equivalent Motorcraft.

The ONLY reason I bought it was because it was free after MIR at AAP. In the $3-$6 range, Motorcraft wins the value/quality battle every single time, hands down.

I used and then cut open the VF-16 filter on my Dakota. (14670)

To my eye, the VF-16 had the filter media and bypass valve of the Pure One filter, but the ADBV, gasket and the filter body (thicker than the Pure One) were definitely from the Purolator Premium Plus filter.

So, it's basicly a blend of the Pure One and Premium Plus filters, and is priced accordingly between the two.

I will definitely use the Maxlife VF-16 again because of the thicker filter body paired with the Pure One filter media.

Darryl

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back