Why don't OEM's make/sell new, good, OEM CV axles?

Status
Not open for further replies.
All you can get is reman, and of course the low-quality Chinese axles. And the re-manufacturing job is often sketchy, regrinding the case and taking away all its strength and durability, so it will fail in a few months.

You can't even get new OEM axles from the dealer--they just sell you reman.

Why don't the dealers, automakers, and OE suppliers sell OEM and OE-quality brand-new CV axles at retail? Why is this so difficult for them?

Is there any way to get GKN axles in the US? They are listed in the GKN catalog under their brands Spidan, Lobro, and EKG, but nobody seems to sell any of these in the US!

I know I saw my usual VW parts vendor has OEM axles, the one I was looking to replace was $500. I think the other side is $400. I know looking at rockauto there are cheaper solutions: but they aren't OEM.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
What OEMs are you complaining about? Ford offers new axles, they are usually really expensive so people want the aftermarket stuff instead.

Toyota, and the Japanese automakers in general.

Who is the OE supplier to Toyota?

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
What OEMs are you complaining about? Ford offers new axles, they are usually really expensive so people want the aftermarket stuff instead.

Toyota, and the Japanese automakers in general.

Who is the OE supplier to Toyota?

No idea, we only do Ford and Mazda. Mazda ones are all reman and have come in boxes that look just like A1 Cardone, just like all of their reman parts. Ford ones come new, but are anywhere from $250-700 depending on the model.

They do sell OEM CVs but they are too expensive. For example for my car it's $605.25 for the RH and $524.31 for the LH. In contrast, the aftermarket remanufactured axles using OEM cores cost only $50 each. Since good aftermarket remanufactured CVs do equally well as brand-new OEM CVs, there is no point in paying that much for the brand-new.

Your other alternative is to replace the boot with an OEM boot every time as soon as it's damaged as axles don't wear unless the moly grease leaks or dust gets in, and this way you will have an OEM axle for life and you don't have to worry about remanufactured axles.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Try the wreckers? They will have to have OEM ones near the chinese ones in price.

+1 Best solution. A clean used one + new Rockford Duraboots and Redline CV2 = a winner.

New CV axles are available for most cars. I sell them all day long, including to the dealerships.

Originally Posted By: 29662
New CV axles are available for most cars. I sell them all day long, including to the dealerships.

Word. I installed a new aftermarket CV axle on my 2004 Rainier a couple of years ago. The new one was cheaper than the remanufactured one.

Originally Posted By: strat81

Word. I installed a new aftermarket CV axle on my 2004 Rainier a couple of years ago. The new one was cheaper than the remanufactured one.

Nope.

Not what I'm looking for.

Chinese Cardone Select [censored] does NOT count. I'm referring to REAL axles like GKN/Lobro and other OEM and OE-supplier axles that are made in the same country as what originally came on the car.

Ford seems to be the only automaker that meets this definition.

Originally Posted By: Gokhan

Your other alternative is to replace the boot with an OEM boot every time as soon as it's damaged as axles don't wear unless the moly grease leaks or dust gets in, and this way you will have an OEM axle for life and you don't have to worry about remanufactured axles.

Wear isn't always the problem. On some cars the CV joints are the weakest link in the driveline so with a little too much torque applied or with shock loading they'll just pop.

You can't even get new OEM axles from the dealer--they just sell you reman.

What automaker, specifically?

Did this dealer sell you a FACTORY reman, complete with the FACTORY part number on the invoice?

Or did this dealer sell you an AFTERMARKET reman, with a NON-FACTORY part number on the invoice?

I eagerly await your response.

Originally Posted By: strat81

Nope.

Not what I'm looking for.

Chinese Cardone Select [censored] does NOT count. I'm referring to REAL axles like GKN/Lobro and other OEM and OE-supplier axles that are made in the same country as what originally came on the car.

Ford seems to be the only automaker that meets this definition.

I didn't mention cardone, although I sell those too. I also sell EMPI, FEQ, and several others. You just have to know who to ask.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I doubt that automakers make their own axles.

They don't. But there can be a world of difference between something the automaker is willing to sell under their own brand and part number, and something they're not willing to sell under their own brand and part number.

Just because you bought it from the dealer doesn't mean it was sold to the dealer by the automaker. The key is the part number on the invoice.

You can buy new inner or new outer joints for European cars, made by the OEM or one of their suppliers. This is great because you get the advantage of a new CV axle without the price. Why buy an axle with two weak rebuilt joints if you can buy the only joint needed for the same price.

This wouldn't work if you had a bent axle shaft, but how common is that?

Hint, hint.... the OEM's don't make their own axles, CV or standard. That is a third party outsourced item. Just get the brand that makes the axles and buy new if you have a mind to buy new instead of reman.

I hauled production auto parts into Ford, GM, and Chrysler plants for a lot of years. Very little of what the OEM is using is actually made by them. Sure, it is made to their specs, but most items are outsourced. Even many components in engines and transmissions are outsourced. The OEM's just put it all together. Body stamping is one area they still primarily make it all out of rolled sheet metal.

Something like new CV axles... the same axles that go to the OEM assembly plant are the same axles that come off the line and get sold under the third party label.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back