A chemists view on gasoline additives

Status
Not open for further replies.
This chemist writes a very interesting and informative paper on gasoline brands, octane and additives. I was unpleasantly surprised about using the same brand of gasoline because of the deposits that are left from that brands additive package. Gonna try his suggestion about switching brands every 5k. If the following site has been linked to before, my humble apologies.

A chemists view on gasoline brands, octane and additives.

This is an interesting statement....

"What about fuel injector additives?
Give the money to charity where it'll do some good; your fuel injectors will never know the difference. Other than a narrow window in 86-87 where some fuel injectors fouled, the modern (meaning post 87) injectors are of a design that won't foul unless you put some really old rotten gas through them. We had one guy in our group whose job it was to test our gas and competitors brands for injector fouling. He couldn't do it with '88 and newer injectors (with any brand of gas!). I mean he couldn't even get these injectors to foul a little.
"

So, why, or how, do we see videos of fouled injectors and after adding cleaners, we see them spraying better??

Interesting if you like tripe.
lol.gif

This guy is using his "title" to spew a bunch of his opinions and thinking people will not question him because of his background.

He doesn't say anything about 2 stroke oil.. 3 WC. It's an additive.

Why go 5000 miles on one brand? why not switch more often?

I read this on the Mercedes Mailing List about 1998. It's good to see it again, but I have no idea if his ideas work in practice.

I agree with him after logging over 540,000 miles on 87 octane in cars that are labeled for 91 or higher. Never one ping.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
This guy is using his "title" to spew a bunch of his opinions and thinking people will not question him because of his background.

Kinda like Doug Hillary???? *eyes rolling*

Like everything in this world context matters. If you do that the article makes a lot of sense and doesn't necessarily says additives are worthless. Hint. I believe he's referencing Techron in his last paragraph.

Last edited:
Are you going to believe Trav who has before and after pictures and flow rates of the injector or this chemist? Has this chemist published any papers in peer review journals?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Are you going to believe Trav who has before and after pictures and flow rates of the injector or this chemist? Has this chemist published any papers in peer review journals?

Again context. This article is over 13 yrs old is it not?

I believe him. Each additive leaves its own deposits, and only a different additive can clean previous additive deposits. Thus switching brands periodically is the best way to go.

I think he makes some good points (although I think the whole 'deposit formulation' thing is overdone).

I use Techron or Regane once every OCI so I do believe in 'additives' as log as they contain PEA. He's probably correct that 'fuel injector cleaners', the majority of which contain no PEA, are useless....

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
But wait, he's a "Chemist."

From the article: "My Corvette is a 1979 that is on its second trip through the odometer (and its second engine...)"

Second engine? Apparently he's not a mechanic.

Originally Posted By: TTK
I believe him. Each additive leaves its own deposits, and only a different additive can clean previous additive deposits. Thus switching brands periodically is the best way to go.

Can't see anything to disagree with here.
Can't see the harm in changing up gasoline brands at regular intervals.
As the author stated, use the interval that works best for you.
Gas Buddy and the marketplace determine my interval.

Originally Posted By: DaHen
Originally Posted By: Trav
Interesting if you like tripe.

Tripe is good, just hard to find.

Never tried it, but the people who like it say it's an acquired taste.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: datech
He doesn't say anything about 2 stroke oil.. 3 WC. It's an additive.

Why go 5000 miles on one brand? why not switch more often?

Like the guy said "I use the 5000 mile method because it works and because it's easy to remember."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back