Should I trade my SP101 for a Springfield XD?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Found a used Subcompact XD40 and I can do a straight up trade with the gun shop. Both guns retail for about the same price. Mine is a DA/SA model 357/ Reason being I like semis better than revolvers and I have had a hard time dialing the sp101 in to where I'm comfortable shooting it. I can make accurate shots but it takes a steady concentration and a slow smooth pull. My px4 I can just aim, line up the sites and fire. The Ruger always been a good pocket gun but a quick draw I hardly hit the target (a dresser drawer standing up right) at 5 yards in all 5 shots. Not saying that couldn't be me, I just seem to get a long Better with semis.

Will I regret the trade or love it? I really like how xd feels.

I'd keep the SP101 and buy the Springfield
smile.gif
But that's just me!

Self defense...you are probably going to shoot at 2 yards or less. Keep the revolver and buy the semi-auto.

I have shot two different XDs in different calibers. Neither gun was 100% on a whole magazine. The triggers were both excellent but reliability has to be first priority on a self-defense gun.

Just my .02, YMMV, etc.

While I like Ruger and really dont care for Springfield, I would say do the trade. The XD will be lighter, thinner, hold more ammo, be easier to shoot and you are not alone on shooting better with semi's. Most shooters shoot better with auto's because the trigger pull is better and the balance and ergonomics of autos are better for most people.

To me, the only place revolvers outshine auto's is for very large caliber hadngun hunting or dangerous game defense. I still prefer a 44mag revolver to just about any other gun or caliber for bear defense when I am in bear country. Desert eagle's are much too large and heavy to carry for a long time and I do not trust 10mm glocks and such for big game defense. IMO, the 10mm just does not have enough penetration or energy to kill a big bear reliably.

As long as there is nothing wrong with the XD, it should be a very reliable gun so don't worry about that part.

Doesn't sound like you're in love with the Ruger so make the trade. They're just tools.

I too have seen a few XD's not work well....but even the best makers let a lemon out here and there.

If you don't care for the wheelgun, then ditch it. I did the same with a 44mag a month back and traded it in for a new Beretta Px4 that I just love.

Trading guns you never ever shoot isn't the worst sin in the world.

OTOH, I'm not much of a Springfield fan. I'd rather have a Glock or M&P.

And while the SP-101 is a fine gun, I don't quite see the point of it for CCW. There are better guns for that role, revolvers and autos alike.

Made the trade. Don't want to disclose the details but I ended up trading in a TCP as well and put a shield on layaway on top of that.

The XD is quite possibly my favorite pistol. Just, yes.

I have owned 4 xd's one in every caliber they make and shot thousands of rounds through them with maybe 3-4 failures. Stove pipes that were likely my fault. I have also owned glock's ruger's all great guns if we'll kept. Btw I have never sold my xd9sc. My favorite by far

I really like Ruger's, but am not much on wheel guns. Do it. You said it felt nice in your hand, and you're having trouble with the Ruger's accuracy.

Hits matter most, and if you can't use a particular gun, get one you can. The other part is to practice!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back