pinching two pieces of sheetmetal in tight space

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
This is probably something very simple, but I need some ideas... I have two pieces of parallel sheetmetal, currently spaced about 1/4" apart. They are both fixed at the ends, and I want the middle to be brought together to prevent a resonance that makes noise.

So, I need something that can bring the two pieces of metal together. These are sheetmetal, maybe 22ga. The issue is that I cannot put a hole in the one piece to screw or rivet it. I need something that I can slide over the two pieces that will hold them tight. I cant really crimp or bend in place, so essentially it needs to be thin, strong, and have a gap that I can set beforehand and then push into place to hold the pieces together.

The best way to think of it is, imagine a spark plug with a gap that you can set beforehand. Imagine if I slid two pieces of sheetmetal into the gap to pinch them together. That's essentially what I need.

Thoughts on what I can get to do that? Maybe a large stainless steel washer that isnt too thick? Put it in a vice, bend it over and then nice and tight, set the gap, and then slide it over?

Do you think cutting some 20ga or similar sheetmetal and folding it into place? I dont think it would be strong enough at the fold to hold the two pieces.

Suggestions?

Thanks!

Take a stainless steel disc brake hardware piece (the piece that goes under the pads on the bracket)and with tin snips cut a straight piece out of it.
Bend it over with a vice or vice grips. It will act like a spring clamp.
I use these things for all sorts of stuff.

Something like a binder clip, but with a much smaller opening, and without the tabs on it..

Bend a strip of metal along it's length 'U' shaped.
Use two similar pieces of metal as a gauge to set the gap, make it a Push fit.
Fill the 'U' with silicone or JB Weld, and press bent strip over the ends of your sheet metal.

I used the same system to cover a Pinch weld on the sill of my car.

Perhaps re-purpose a clip nut?
8359A26170.jpg

That's a Dorman part. They may have something like that at an auto parts store.

It shouldn't be difficult to come up with something that would hold that together. Just find a couple of small copper compression clamps and use those.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back