MMO first timer. How many miles should I run?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two weeks ago took possession of a '90 Volvo 740 Wagon(no cup holder version) via eBay. With 180k on the odo, the engine runs well, though it is, by golly, quite possibly the slowest car in history to have been exported from Sweden. No leaks of any kind. According to the instructions, 1qt of MMO should go into the crankcase. How many miles should I run it for a decent cleaning?

I would just use oil PYB. I wouldn't put that much MMO in the crankcase anyway.I used it a couple times I don't think it did much if anything JMPO.When I buy a used car I used to change the oil right away and dump it after 500 or 1000 miles but honestly I think it was a waste.You would be better off running it 2500 miles if it worries you.

Originally Posted By: gr8gatzby
Two weeks ago took possession of a '90 Volvo 740 Wagon(no cup holder version) via eBay. With 180k on the odo, the engine runs well, though it is, by golly, quite possibly the slowest car in history to have been exported from Sweden. No leaks of any kind. According to the instructions, 1qt of MMO should go into the crankcase. How many miles should I run it for a decent cleaning?

Are there any indications that the previous owner did not change his oil regularly? If it ain't broke... just get the engine hot and drain the oil.

p.s. What engine do you have?

If you determine it needs a cleaning run a pint for the last 1,500 miles of this OCI. During the cooler months or during the winter I like use MMO if I want to clean an engine. You get the benefit of easier cold weather starts. So when you do a cold weather OCI replace 1 qt of oil with 1 qt of MMO and run the full OCI. Don't exceed 20% MMO in the crankcase. Keep an eye on the oil level.

You can use the product any time of the year, winter has always been my preference though.

It's the 2.3L naturally aspirated four pot. Only 2.5k was on the current OCI, so I haven't yet changed the oil. ARX anyone?

Just use oil. MMO hasn't changed its formula since 1923. While oil has improved far beyond that.

http://www.marvelmysteryoil.com/index.php/forums/viewthread/538/

"The original formula is still used today and has not been changed since it was first sold in metal cans. MMO also penetrates metal surfaces to prevent corrosion..."

So, just like Zmax, it penetrates metal.............. (Yeah, I once fell for the hype..... Never again on any oil additive.)

Last edited:
I've used both Auto Rx and MMO. You can leave both in for 3000 miles. I doubt that they will do anything. As mentioned use some PYB and you should be ok. Did you open up the valve cover?

Regards, JC.

The guy here who probably knows more about MMO than anybody else is demarpaint. He can give you the straight stuff. He has been using MMO for about 40 years.

Be sure no to exceed 25% MMO to oil. So if you have a 4 quart capacity you would not use more than 1 quart MMO replacing 1 quart of oil. If you have a 5 quart capacity 1 quart would be 20%, replacing 1 quart of oil.

Guys often use MMO in the wintertime because it thins the oil somewhat. If used in the summertime some guys say use a little thicker oil if possible (if allowed by manufacturer) to make up for the thinning of the oil.

It is probably best to check with demarpaint on how long to leave the MMO in there.

It's the 2.3L naturally aspirated four pot. Only 2.5k was on the current OCI, so I haven't yet changed the oil. ARX anyone?

That engine is easy on oil. Barring some gross neglect or other unmentioned horror, an oil change should be adequate.

Use it as directed. Change the oil maybe after 3K miles. I use a pint when I thin out the 20w50 for winter. Mostly because the 528s are always a pint low.

MMO is like aspirin for engines. In fact, synthetic wintergreen,salicylate,is the stuff in liniment and analgesic balms.

I don't use it in my cars' fuel. I do in all my OPE. My mowers and blowers have less carb troubles since I started giving them a cap full every fill up

Originally Posted By: Mystic
The guy here who probably knows more about MMO than anybody else is demarpaint. He can give you the straight stuff. He has been using MMO for about 40 years.

Be sure no to exceed 25% MMO to oil. So if you have a 4 quart capacity you would not use more than 1 quart MMO replacing 1 quart of oil. If you have a 5 quart capacity 1 quart would be 20%, replacing 1 quart of oil.

Guys often use MMO in the wintertime because it thins the oil somewhat. If used in the summertime some guys say use a little thicker oil if possible (if allowed by manufacturer) to make up for the thinning of the oil.

It is probably best to check with demarpaint on how long to leave the MMO in there.

One could also read this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1722878/4

If the oil was changed 2500 miles ago, run it out to 3k miles and changethe oil and filter to your favorite combo and skip the MMO. Save the money and spend it on beer or high quality oil. Either will be better than the MMO

Originally Posted By: Trajan
So, just like Zmax, it penetrates metal.............. (Yeah, I once fell for the hype..... Never again on any oil additive.)

If anyone cares to get past THIS hype, you might check AVBLEND's website. This seems to be the same product as Z-Max, also known as Lenckite or Linkite. The product and it's originator has a rather interesting history . Avblend is FAA approved as an oil additive.

It's true that there was an FTC complaint against the Z-Max company some years ago, in part because of the 'soaks into metal' claim, but that case was settled with Z-Max being permitted to continue this specific advertising. Misstatements to the contrary, there was no fine. The 'cash settlement' in the FTC case... didn't happen. FTC simply required Z-Max to establish a fund for any purchaser prior to a certain date who wanted a refund. It's unclear if there were any takers.

Yeah, I once fell for the hype..... Never again on any oil additive.

Never again? Never again! It's good to see there's a learning curve. Back when Trajan 'fell for the hype', was that when you were in favor of Z-Max before you were against it? Or, against it before you were in favor of it?

Here is Trajan's earlier endorsement of Z-Max - fourth message from the top, although the whole thread is quite fascinating:

---

"Well, pilots I know love the stuff [Avblend] in their oil, and FAA approvals are not handed out like candy at Halloween.

http://www.avblend.com/faa/faa.html

Different name, but the same formula.

Found this in my net travel: http://www.rlb.50megs.com/oiladitives.html

I'm thinking that to market it to the car crowd, they came up with Zmax, as not many would put Avblend in a ground bound motor.

It's been FAA approved since 1980. And been around far longer. No flopping."

---

Trajan will have to explain the meaning of "flopping".

This thread is really interesting, both for the information and personalities involved. Read it to the humorous conclusion.

Back on the topic of MMO (that was the subject of this thread, right), MMO has a fair percentage of this same mineral oil in the mix, so a reader might conclude that the mineral oil in MMO might work like the mineral oil in Z-Max or Lenckite or Avblend (for which you-know-who is a bona-fide booster). Could that mean... ?

I'd better quit. I've reached my idiot-overload quotient for the evening.

Again, if people would stay on topic it would help. This post is about a guy trying MMO and asking for advice about it. If somebody wants to start their own post on Auto-RX or whatever they should do so.

I don't think anybody can claim that I took this post off topic. The topic is MMO.

Originally Posted By: Mystic

One could also read this thread: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/1722878/4

The locked threads are the best, check out the Paid Posters thread too.

Anybody who is reading, see for yourself what guys at this website take posts off topic and try to discredit anybody who talks in a favorable way about some product they do not like or some product that competes with whatever product they believe in. Anybody who can read can check this post out and see for themselves.

A guy asked for simple information about MMO. He is trying MMO. Is it possible for people who know about MMO to help this guy without all of this nonsense? Since the guy was already trying MMO, he deserves help with the product. Is that fair?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back