Anyone pull there purolators early due to paranoia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just wanted to see others thoughts on the purolator tear scare going around. I've long been a purolator fan and currently running 5 vehicles with 4 pureones and 1 classic and have 4 pureones stashed. I just recently started reading all the issues about them tearing, been away from here a little while. Il defiantly cut mine open as they come due but the more I think of a possible tear and oil blowing thru the more paranoid I become. Lol. Might not make a full oci.

I pulled one at 2000 miles, and did a complete oil change(was originally planning on 5000 LOL NOT ANYMORE).

Went to Walmart and bought a FRAM toughgaurd. I have another pureone sitting on my shelf gathering dust..

Last edited:
I do not think a small tear in the media of a filter will cause any harm. Its not like shoveling some sand into the oil fill.

Oil goes from the outside towards the inside.

Originally Posted By: Donald
I do not think a small tear in the media of a filter will cause any harm. Its not like shoveling some sand into the oil fill.

Oil goes from the outside towards the inside.

I agree but it's not filtering at the same rate that I'm paying for. Buying a middle to high grade filter I want full advertised filtration.

I have a purolator classic on my beater right now. I will run it the full 5000 miles before replacing. I have an old purolator classic in my stash for my daughter's S10. I will use it on the next oil change and will run it 5000 miles too. I will cut them open after use.

Nope. I have a P1 on right now. It'll get taken off somewhere between 7,500 and 10,000 when I change the oil.

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Just wanted to see others thoughts on the purolator tear scare going around. I've long been a purolator fan and currently running 5 vehicles with 4 pureones and 1 classic and have 4 pureones stashed. I just recently started reading all the issues about them tearing, been away from here a little while. Il defiantly cut mine open as they come due but the more I think of a possible tear and oil blowing thru the more paranoid I become. Lol. Might not make a full oci.

I did the oil change early at 6500 km and cut it open and found no tears. I have one classic and left which I will leave for now. The other filters are Napa golds.

Regards, JC.

Paranoid? Of what?
shocked.gif

Originally Posted By: Hollow
Nope. I have a P1 on right now. It'll get taken off somewhere between 7,500 and 10,000 when I change the oil.

Wise decision
crazy.gif
crazy2.gif
15.gif
57.gif

I returned several Pureones......won't use them again....at least until I'm certain they FIXED the problem.

I don't understand how Driveworks Chinese made filters have nice even pleats and Purolators are always wavy....poor design or QA (or trying to skimp on filter material)...

Oh heck no. Those tiny tears will not stop the oil from being filtered. If it goes thru a tiny tear on one pass, it will most likely get filtered on the next pass. And for the intervals that get used around here, the oil will be serviceable. And I doubt we will hear about an engine having a problem anytime soon.

I agree
If your engine is clean to start with I dont think you will have a problem
Has anyone here heard of any engine failures due to this?
These tears have been going on for 3 yrs I think so if there was a problem I think someone here would report it
I dont like the tears but to me it is a non issue as my engines are clean and wont be passing chunks anytime soon

Originally Posted By: tratman2000
Never thought I'd say this but I'm looking to the fram tough guards. And the ultra for my z71.

From what I have seen I would be putting a Hastings LF232 on that

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back