How well does your engine handle low oil levels?

Status
Not open for further replies.
"How well does your engine handle low oil levels?"

Don't know, as my oil levels are always 1/16" to 1/8" over the full mark.

Perhaps you can intentionally run a few of your vehicles low on oil and educate us on this conundrum.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Turk
I can hear it in the engine when both the 2000 & 1998 Saturn SL2's are 1/2 quarts low.

That is amazing. Because I've ran Saturns with no oil touching the dipstick and you would never know the difference. You must have a very keen sense of hearing.

How much oil is actually in circulation in an engine? Probably less than a quart. I bet every vehicle would run just fine with no damage on a quart of oil. The sump is a resevoir...

Originally Posted By: widman
Some cars will drink a lot until the half way mark, then none...

Interesting point. With several others raising the same issue, it got me to thinking. Is it likely that when the oil pan is tippy-top full, the windage from the crank makes more of an aerosol of the oil, which is then drawn off through the PCV system?

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Originally Posted By: widman
Some cars will drink a lot until the half way mark, then none...

Interesting point. With several others raising the same issue, it got me to thinking. Is it likely that when the oil pan is tippy-top full, the windage from the crank makes more of an aerosol of the oil, which is then drawn off through the PCV system?

Or maybe enough oil gets splashed onto the cylinder walls that it overwhelms the rings' ability to wipe it off?

Haven't ever ran one to lower than "add a quart", which is when I add a quart. But the current fleet does not use oil over there 10k OCI so I have had not had this issue for a long time.

On my Saturn I timed it so that it would be needing an oil change when it got a quart low. Ran just fine.

Originally Posted By: bvance554
Originally Posted By: Turk
I can hear it in the engine when both the 2000 & 1998 Saturn SL2's are 1/2 quarts low.

That is amazing. Because I've ran Saturns with no oil touching the dipstick and you would never know the difference. You must have a very keen sense of hearing.

Yea, I pay very close attention.

To be more specific, the engine starts sounding a little "raw".

I check it & sure enough, 1/2 quart low.
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back