Horn goes off when I turn wheel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Horn honks when I turn my steering wheel to the left....

Basically when the wheel gets to "ALMOST" the full lock, the horn honks and will stay on until I straighten out the wheel. HELP

I had an old truck one time the turn signal screw inside the steering column came loose and the horn would blow every time while turning the wheel, had to pull the steering wheel to fix. So Id say your looking at something like that.

That's no good. Seriously, your horn ring is somehow messed up. Maybe something broke off or fell in there.

Not much fun and you will have to unhook the battery and pry off the horn button and maybe even remove the wheel/nut.

Do you remember what you did to it to cause this, or anything that happened?

I think had something like that once and it was a wire that wore thru the insulation and was touching.

It is not the horn button. The problem is below your steering wheel in the coloumn. The SIR COIL wire is shorting out to ground when turning the wheel. Take off the wheel and look for damaged wires - should be really easy and obvious. Reroute it and tape it up. Easy job. Remove a battery cable and let it sit a few minutes to disable the air bag system. Pull the driver airbag and you may see the wire. If not, take off the nut holding the wheel and look under. Pretty common issue. You can fix it yourself.

I don't think you will have to remove the steering wheel, which would require a steering-wheel puller. Just take off the cover and fix or replace the defective horn-button mechanism.

If you do pull off the steering wheel, make sure that it's centered when you reinstall it. Centered steering wheel doesn't mean the steering wheel is perfectly straight -- it means that there needs to be exactly equal number of turns to the left and to the right from the steering-wheel position where the wheels are straight. It's probably already centered; so, just mark the current notch, and if isn't, you would have to not only recenter the steering wheel but also have your front toe readjusted, as the two are obviously related so that the steering wheel is both centered and straight. Again, I doubt you will have to pull it off though.

Ford clocksprings are notorious for erratic behavior. The clockspring is the assembly that provides power to controls on the steering wheel.

The backlighting on my cruise control buttons has been intermittent for years and switches sides when it feels like it.

FWIW, here is what the parts look like in my 1985 Corolla. It was a huge pain to get back the 45130 button assembly on the 45100 wheel in my case, as the 45129A retaining spring was very problematic. I remember spending several hours and then finally bending the 45129A spring by the right amount to get the button assembly seated. Problems in the 45130 button assembly as well as the 45207 contact ring (so that the button can still make contact when you turn the steering wheel) could cause horn problems.

398486305.png

Sometimes the clock spring causes it, other times if there is play in the steering column the horn and other controls will not function properly.

However, the steering column problem usually happens on GM vehicles made in the 1990s and earlier. I once had to deal with it on a Lexus with over 200,000 miles, what a nightmare!

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
It is not the horn button. The problem is below your steering wheel in the coloumn. The SIR COIL wire is shorting out to ground when turning the wheel. Take off the wheel and look for damaged wires - should be really easy and obvious. Reroute it and tape it up. Easy job. Remove a battery cable and let it sit a few minutes to disable the air bag system. Pull the driver airbag and you may see the wire. If not, take off the nut holding the wheel and look under. Pretty common issue. You can fix it yourself.

What he said. Pinched wire. I GUARANTEE it.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back