2015 STI detail

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend traded in his 05 WRX and picked up a 2015 STI. I told him I'm willing to detail it and clean up the stuff the dealer monkeys left behind. It took me 4 hours this morning.

Washed
Autoscrub with my PC
Optimum Polish II with a orange pad on my PC
Rejex by hand.
I also removed all the lug nuts and decreased them and the wheels. For some reason Subaru uses some kind coating from the factory on the lug nuts. I used a tar remover. I had to do this with my ex's 2012 Impreza also.

photo4_zpsf5cc8c06.jpg

image_zpsb37f0bd8.jpg

My daily is a 2010 GTI. Their was nothing about driving the STI that said, WOW I have to get this! The $39,000 price is really a deal breaker for myself, also. It had some upgraded interior parts that the 2012 Impreza I drove doesn't have, but it still didn't feel like a $39K car.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag
The $39,000 price is really a deal breaker

That outrageous rear spoiler would have been a deal breaker for me.

hey subaru the 90's called and wanted their spoilers back :p

thats part of the charm of the STI.. the outrageous wing.

The only Subaru that looks really nice is the BRZ, however, this car and the regular WRX are great cars that will embarrass most cars on the road.

Looks great, OP!

Trunk swaps are relatively popular with the sedan STI/WRX crowd,and sure beats plugs. Regardless, people will only laugh (at some one who can actually drive) until they see what this thing can do. It being so ridiculous and boy-racer-looking is what makes it a sort of sleeper, since many classify is similarly to other riced-out four-bangers...

I was so excited that a more-subdued-looking STI came out in 2008 that I bought one! That, and insurance rates went down LITERALLY over night as USAA reclassified it from 4-door Sport Sedan to 4-door Sport Wagon. IIRC, the difference was in the hundreds of dollars /year!

Last edited:
....I also removed all the lug nuts and decreased them....

How to do you decrease a lug nut? Will you decrease the spoiler this weekend? Just kidding.

Enjoy the car. I like the car, but not that rear wing. The only two cars that I approve of a having a massive rear wing is a Ferrari F40 and the Plymouth road runner. But that's my person opinion only.

Regards, JC.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
Looks great, OP!

Trunk swaps are relatively popular with the sedan STI/WRX crowd,and sure beats plugs. Regardless, people will only laugh (at some one who can actually drive) until they see what this thing can do. It being so ridiculous and boy-racer-looking is what makes it a sort of sleeper, since many classify is similarly to other riced-out four-bangers...

I was so excited that a more-subdued-looking STI came out in 2008 that I bought one! That, and insurance rates went down LITERALLY over night as USAA reclassified it from 4-door Sport Sedan to 4-door Sport Wagon. IIRC, the difference was in the hundreds of dollars /year!

The much cheaper insurance was one of the main factors that pushed my father to order a 2002 WRX wagon instead of the sedan. I do like the looks of the new WRXs, but I wish they would have a "delete spoiler" option available for the STis as they do look ridiculous.

Although it does give some functional rear downforce at speed, they cannot even justify it's need by a WRC homolugation anymore, since they do not compete in that series on the world stage anymore.

In the lower gears, it will do some neat things on R-comp tires on a autocross course, that maybe only the AWD exotic cars can even approach? Not many cars can put down as much hp while turning at 20-60mph.

Subie sedans = meh
Subie Hatches = BOING

Maybe 2016-2019 they will have a nice hatch and I'll trade my 2014 or not. I stick with wax products on mine.

And Fuji Heavy puts weird goop all over the tires and wheels. See my tire cleaning thread. Nasty stuff.

For some reason Subaru uses some kind coating from the factory on the lug nuts. I used a tar remover. I had to do this with my ex's 2012 Impreza also.

From what I've heard it's this anti-rust stuff called cosmoline, my 2009 legacy had it stuck to the wheels when I first got it too.

When you use up your Polish II, give the new Hyper Polish a try. I used it on a detail yesterday and was very impressed by the gloss and cut.

I switched over from Menzerna Final Polish II to the Optimum Final Polish II and couldn't be more happier with the product. I might give the Hyper Polish a try next time.

I switched over from Menzerna Final Polish II to the Optimum Final Polish II and couldn't be more happier with the product. I might give the Hyper Polish a try next time.

If you prefer to stay within the Optimum line, the new Hyper Polish is a great product and is the safest product to use before applying Opti-Coat 2.0.

I've also been using HD Adapt, M100, FG400 and HD Polish on a regular basis with great results.

Did you find the paint sticky? Some Subarus have sticky paint and can be quite difficult to work with.

Last edited:
The paint wasn't smooth. They dealer left a lot of the shipping tape residue on the car.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back