Mobil 1 oil filter in Toyota Solara

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all, great site here. I just purchased a 99 Toyota Solara V-6 with 149,000 miles. The engine is tight as can be, just changed the oil and filter after 3,000 miles. I went with Pennzoil 5w-30 and a Mobil 1 filter. My concern is, with the Mobil filter the oil light stays on noticebly longer when I start the car after it has been sitting for a while. Before it went out almost immediately (dealer installed Fram filter, unfortunately). Now it stays on for probably at least a second if the car sits overnight. I am a little concerned about it but don't know if it is an issue as I know Mobil is considered a good filter.

I researched all the "sludge" issues with this car. Fortunately, I knew the previous owners and how well they took care of things. The car was driven approximately 30 miles round trip to work every day, so it wasn't used on short trips. The oil level after 3000 miles is still on full, and the car never smokes. It appears that everything is in excellent condition and I hope to keep it that way. Should I stay with the Mobil or try a Wix because of the startup issue?

I'd suggest a PureOne or a Wix. Either one is excellent. I wonder why the Mobil filter is doing that? Never read anyone seeing that. Maybe your using a different oil?

Nope, it's the same oil, the previous owner told me they have used Penz 5w-30 from day one. I'm not too concerned about it as the light doesn't stay on any more than in my wifes 4Runner, it just was a little obvious that it stays on longer than the Fram filter did.

Probably due to the M1 filter being *slighty* more restrictive (read = better filtering). The...."F word"...filter was more than likely MUCH less restrictive. I wouldn't even give it a second thought. M1 filters are probably one of the best available, albeit most expensive...
cheers.gif

Are you using the M1-209 or M1-102? Try the one you're not using.

Purolator/Motorcraft/Wix/Champ and their clones like Bosch/K&N/Carquest/Napa are worth a shot.

If most engine wear occurs at start up, then I'd want my "engine light" to shut off as quickly as possible.

I guess those 'super duper boutique filters' filter out all the startup wear they cause by being more restrictive
grin.gif

It's the M1-102. I think I'm gonna give the Wix a shot as they are available at a parts store a few miles away. Thanks for the responses!

i don tknow how your filter'slocations are position. but i notice that toyota have great positioning on there filter. on My friend's rav4 i dont need to look at the filter to remove it. but if its possible to put a some oil in the filter before u install it, that may help. I know sometimes you cant. for example, my prelude filter is almost horizontal, so if i put oil in there, it would spill when i install it. but if you are already doing this, then I dont know. I wouldnt really worry about it or would i?

I'd use a Purealator Pure One and go with Mobil 1. My brother has a 2001 Solara with the V6. Mobil 1 will help keep the engine clean.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back