Removed factory fuel pump today---shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
[censored] that rag was in there from the factory for 14 years. It would of dissolved to nothing and clogged the pickup long before it had a chance to.

Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler
But make sure of I put old pump into a sealed bag. You need it for evidence

Sounds like some real BTDT advice here. But, playing devil's advocate, I would ask how you can prove the rag was actually in there all that time. GM can claim you cannot prove the rag was in there, implying you planted it there to get something out of them after the fact. I wonder if there exists a way to counter this argument?

Let me add some more of my opinion.

Do not call Alicia Bohler-Davis. First you won't be able to reach her anyow. I know her, had the pleasure of working with her for a few years while she was my plant manager. A wonderful woman and very focused on quality - she is the real deal. However - the case of this truck and the rag (which I agree would have dissolved years ago had it came that way new) really belongs to the servicing dealership - not GM. The dealership obviously did some diagnostics and removed or replaced the fuel pump. Dealers are NOT GM employees..they are independently owned businesses. Again - the complaint is with the dealer and what they did.

If you send me your complete VIN I will go into GM records and I can tell you exactly what they did and on what date to your truck. THEN and ONLY then can we know for sure. If it says fuel pump replacement - then there is your proof and you can go address it with the dealer. Obviously this is only good IF they entered the repair but I am for certain they did because if not, GM would not pay them for the work.

So - we can get to the bottom of this if you send me or post here your VIN #.

Originally Posted By: dishdude
[censored] that rag was in there from the factory for 14 years. It would of dissolved to nothing and clogged the pickup long before it had a chance to.

Looks to me like it was already starting to dissolve. It even had fiber particles inside the pump.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Originally Posted By: dishdude

Looks to me like it was already starting to dissolve. It even had fiber particles inside the pump.

As you can see much of the rag is intact but it is fragile. However, a lot of it was also single strands loose in the tank and tiny fibers like lint in the strainer. The rag on underside of the pump was like mush, compacted lint, which was smashed against the bottom of the tank. I am surprised most of it was intact too, over the years I have run some powerful doses of cleaners through it trying to improve performance.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Let me add some more of my opinion.

Do not call Alicia Bohler-Davis. First you won't be able to reach her anyow. I know her, had the pleasure of working with her for a few years while she was my plant manager. A wonderful woman and very focused on quality - she is the real deal. However - the case of this truck and the rag (which I agree would have dissolved years ago had it came that way new) really belongs to the servicing dealership - not GM. The dealership obviously did some diagnostics and removed or replaced the fuel pump. Dealers are NOT GM employees..they are independently owned businesses. Again - the complaint is with the dealer and what they did.

If you send me your complete VIN I will go into GM records and I can tell you exactly what they did and on what date to your truck. THEN and ONLY then can we know for sure. If it says fuel pump replacement - then there is your proof and you can go address it with the dealer. Obviously this is only good IF they entered the repair but I am for certain they did because if not, GM would not pay them for the work.

I'll PM you the vin when I get home today.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
However - the case of this truck and the rag (which I agree would have dissolved years ago had it came that way new) really belongs to the servicing dealership - not GM. The dealership obviously did some diagnostics and removed or replaced the fuel pump. Dealers are NOT GM employees..they are independently owned businesses. Again - the complaint is with the dealer and what they did.

GMBoy is correct (PM sent BTW). After searching through my old invoices, Bob Stall Chevrolet in La Mesa CA indicated on one occasion that a bad evap. canister contaminated the fuel and was replaced, along with cleaning my fuel tank, flushing the lines, replacing fuel pump and filter. Nowhere does it mention installing a rag. So I guess we have found the real problem, the servicing dealer as GMBoy said. That was in 2002, so the rag has been in there 12 years. I really hope this improves the vehicle performance as I am retiring at the end of the month and selling my commuter vehicle, so this truck will be the daily driver again.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
After searching through my old invoices, Bob Stall Chevrolet in La Mesa CA indicated on one occasion that a bad evap. canister contaminated the fuel and was replaced, along with cleaning my fuel tank, flushing the lines, replacing fuel pump and filter.

Wow! It was on your paperwork the whole time.

Interesting why they would say "operating as designed". If you had issues after the tech serviced the fuel system, they should have went back and checked the fuel system again and chalked that up as a comeback issue.

But that's in the past. I'm glad you were able to resolve this and you get to enjoy your truck more.

They don't call them "$tealerships" for nothing.

From years of working in the retail part of the new car business there is NO question that the dealership franchise system is a very weak link between the mfr. and the customer. It's a bad system and has never worked well especially for the consumer.

The leading issue is poor management and leadership from the owners. Some really horrid management and ownership in dealer stores.

When I was working in my Dad's shop after school, Dad always told me to keep track of the shop rags I was using.

I used to count them before and after I was finished with a customer's car.

One of our commercial accounts was GTE/Sylvania. They brought in a three-wheeled Cushman cart with a seized engine along with a brand new replacement.

During removal of the fan shrouds, I found a red shop rag twisted up in the cooling fan. Man, was I happy that I didn't have to replace that engine. I got to take long lunch that day.

I still keep track of rags when I'm working in my garage.

So, another "evil GM" story that is directly traced back to a dealer not good at their job. I've lost count of how many of those I've heard.

I have to say, GM corporate appears to be taking customer satisfaction more seriously these days. The few times I've had to take my Cruze in for warranty work, I've been asked by GM corporate to complete a survey on the dealer. Most of the time I've been highly satisfied. The once I wasn't, the service manager called me and asked how they could improve.

Originally Posted By: wag123
Was your Silverado a Mexican built truck (the first digit of the VIN will be a 3)?

Is that a negative?

I ordered a 2013 Freightliiner class 8 truck in February 2012. The dealer didn't tell me at the time, but they were keeping their fingers crossed that mine would be built in Mexico and not in N.C.. Well, mine was built in N.C. The dealer had to spend 2.5 weeks making changes and fixing stuff that N.C. did wrong. They told me at that time, they rarely have any of these issues with the trucks assembled in Mexico. Seems Bubba and his buddies at the N.C. plant are more concerned with Monday Night Football, meeting at Hooters for a couple of cold ones, or planning their weekend fishing trips to worry about assembling things right.

Forward to my 2013 Silverado I bought June of 2013. It was assembled in Mexico and I was perfectly comfortable that it was, primarily because of the experience with the semi truck. Guess we'll see over time if Juan and Pedro did a good job on the pickup. Any issues I have had with the pickup thus far are centered around design and not the actual assembly.

It really dosn't matter where it's built. GM dosn't make gas tanks, pumps etc.
Who ever supplies them with these tanks are at fault, not GM assembly.

I love how everyone jumps on GM when it most likely was a dealer that left the rag.

On another thread a Honda blows its motor and its cool because Honda is covering it....yet it shouldn't have popped in the first place...

Originally Posted By: hattaresguy
I love how everyone jumps on GM when it most likely was a dealer that left the rag.

On another thread a Honda blows its motor and its cool because Honda is covering it....yet it shouldn't have popped in the first place...

That is because the kool-aid drinkers around here think that because the gov't helped to save the company it automatically makes it a bad company, most of those same people fall all over themselves praising Ford because they didn't take a gov't bailout, yet they do not know that the gov't loaned them a ton of money preceding the GM issue.

The fact is that the current company is making really good products, that are as good as or better than the competition.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
Originally Posted By: hattaresguy

That is because the kool-aid drinkers around here think that because the gov't helped to save the company it automatically makes it a bad company, most of those same people fall all over themselves praising Ford because they didn't take a gov't bailout, yet they do not know that the gov't loaned them a ton of money preceding the GM issue.

The fact is that the current company is making really good products, that are as good as or better than the competition.

Never ceases to amaze me as I typically only drive GM stuff and have not had a 1/4 of the problems people on here complain about. No electrical stuff, and aside from the LIM gaskets problems on the 3800 no big issues unless I blew up a transmission myself.
I might add when I had my 98 Z28 I broke the rear end on a hard launch at the track. Car was taken to the local Chevy dealer on a flat bed with the dial still on the windshield, my Car Club Challenge number still all over it, and rubber all over the wheel wells. Service writer asked "Tough day at the track?" Me "Yes indeed". Covered the complete repair under factory warranty, didn't have to but they did.
But such is the status at BITOG. I stay out of the threads about Honda, Nissan, Toyota etc etc. Don't like bashing. I will however speak up about TDI's and the service I received from VW, which is not always the same for others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back