Removed factory fuel pump today---shocking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: tdpark
How is the truck running now- all good?

Just took it out for a short trip to get fuel before I went to work (in a different vehicle). I really need to drive it a while beffore I will be able to tell if there is a difference, but I am sure the fuel starvation at a quarter tank will be gone now.

Yikes!
Yeah I'd at least contact GM on your results. Just not right.
One thing for sure, if you don't, nothing more happens by them.
At least you have found something that should not be there and should run better now.

Originally Posted By: Pablo
Your lawn needs mowing.

Your in tank filter looks a little ragged, too.

No Pablo, that is the neighbor's yard. He hasn't mowed or done any other yard or house upkeep in over 6 years. Usually I and other neighbors get sick of looking at it and mow the weeds from time to time, but I am done with that. He's not handicapped or anything, he just doesn't care.

The in tank filter when first removed looked like a lint trap from the clothes dryer. Just a matting of single red threads. I removed the bed of the truck to replace so looking down into the tank I spent a while removing all the pieces and strands I could see. I am sure there are still a few in there.

That's crazy!!!!!!
While your at it those silverado's are notorious for the fuel pump ground wire loosing ground. Get a wire wheel or something to freshen up that ground connection to the under side of the bed!
Now if GM could make a rocker panel that didn't rust away after 5 years maybe they would sell more trucks.

Originally Posted By: another Todd
I finally got around to replacing the factory fuel pump today on the 2000 Silverado. Been having fuel pick up issues when at a quarter tank. To my surprise, a red rag was wrapped around the fuel sending unit float, and the fuel pickup sock was clogged with cloth fibers. I am the original owner, and the pump has never been replaced before. This had to be from the factory because the rag was smashed under the fuel pump which is spring loaded to the bottom of the tank, it coulod not have worked it's way under there. This may explain other driveability issues I have had. While under warrantee it went back to the dealer many times for rough running and lack of power but they always blew it off as "operating as designed". This is one of the reasons I will never purchase another gm vehicle. I am new to posting pictures so I hope they show up, or the link.

Call gm and ask for warranty. Ask to speak with Helene Cohen. She is a legal assistant in law dept. She will say no to your claim. Tell her that you are going to engage plaintiffs counsel and in the meantime, given that a number of attorneys in the law dept were fired, did she believe that you won't have a good chance at trial when she has to testify about her role in everything or is this the transpirency the general counsel mike Millikan was promoting? Don't ask how I know. She is a b!tch but she is predictable.

Or you can call gm's 800 number and ask for Alicia boler-Davis, who is head of quality. Explain the problem. They will do something for you. But make sure of I put old pump into a sealed bag. You need it for evidence

We had a Chrysler plant near where I live so a lot of people worked there. They had their fair share of craziness to.its all auto makers not just gm.

Originally Posted By: wirelessF
What brand did you replace it with? I'm looking at a Delphi fuel pump to replace the wonky Carter I have installed right now.

Replaced it with a Spectra Premium ($101 and lifetime warrantee) from RockAuto. It came with different heavier duty plug style (to address a known problems with the factory original) that requires cutting off the original and splicing in the new one, no big deal. Looking at the Delphi on RockAuto looks like it has the upgraded electrical connector also.

Last edited:
Just my 2 cents worth beings I am involved in GM truck manufacturing:

#1 The fuel tanks come to GM fully assembled and no GM employee touched the fuel pump.

#2 You stated that you went to the dealer a few times for warranty work. My money is on the dealer doing this. Red rags are used in many dealer and independent service centers..we have NO rags like that in a GM plant.

YOU SAID:
"This may explain other driveability issues I have had. While under warrantee it went back to the dealer many times for rough running and lack of power but they always blew it off as "operating as designed". This is one of the reasons I will never purchase another gm vehicle. I am new to posting pictures so I hope they show up, or the link."

Go raise cain with that dealership. Another reason I don't go to a dealer for anything. THIS could have been anywhere..a Ford or Toyota dealer even.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mmavet
That's crazy!!!!!!
While your at it those silverado's are notorious for the fuel pump ground wire loosing ground. Get a wire wheel or something to freshen up that ground connection to the under side of the bed!
Now if GM could make a rocker panel that didn't rust away after 5 years maybe they would sell more trucks.

The ground was part of the harness. It did not have a seperate ground wire. Not sure where it comes out of the harness and actually connects to ground.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Just my 2 cents worth beings I am involved in GM truck manufacturing:

#1 The fuel tanks come to GM fully assembled and no GM employee touched the fuel pump.

#2 You stated that you went to the dealer a few times for warranty work. My money is on the dealer doing this. Red rags are used in many dealer and independent service centers..we have NO rags like that in a GM plant.

Is it possible that the dealer replaced the pump under warrantee trying to fix the issues and didn't tell me? It seems every time I took it in for that issue they said it was "functioning as designed". I remember telling them that was a pretty weasel type statement because if the design was [censored] to begin with, than they didn't have to fix it because it was working as designed.

[/quote]
Call gm and ask for warranty. Ask to speak with Helene Cohen. She is a legal assistant in law dept. She will say no to your claim. Tell her that you are going to engage plaintiffs counsel and in the meantime, given that a number of attorneys in the law dept were fired, did she believe that you won't have a good chance at trial when she has to testify about her role in everything or is this the transpirency the general counsel mike Millikan was promoting? Don't ask how I know. She is a b!tch but she is predictable.

Or you can call gm's 800 number and ask for Alicia boler-Davis, who is head of quality. Explain the problem. They will do something for you. But make sure of I put old pump into a sealed bag. You need it for evidence [/quote]

Wouldn't the statute of limitations for taking legal action have expired on this? The vehicle is 14 years old.

Originally Posted By: mmavet
If you removed the box,it's the only wire that connects near the filler tube.

The bed is back on but that wire should be accessable, I did see it. I'll clean it up tomorrow. Thanks for the tip!

GM won't do squat because....they have gone through bankruptcy and really couldn't care less about the pre-bankruptcy vehicles AND they will say that the rag went in there at a place that was outside of their controls.
This incident reminds me of an uncle who bought a brand new Ford sometime in the 70s. He drove it off the lot and right to our place, a distance of about 70 miles. When he got to our place, he was having driveability problems. The local mechanic found a candy bar wrapper stuck inside the carburetor. I suspect an assembly line worker had a sweet tooth.

Originally Posted By: DirkDiggler

Or you can call gm's 800 number and ask for Alicia boler-Davis, who is head of quality. Explain the problem. They will do something for you. But make sure of I put old pump into a sealed bag. You need it for evidence

One thing you should NEVER do...unless you want to go the through the legal system, ( a last resort because it is prohibitively expensive for you, NOT GM) is to mention a legal case or using the legal system against any company, as soon as you bring that up the company will stop all communication with you IMMEDIATELY and refer YOUR lawyer to their legal department. DO NOT DO THIS for this kind of situation. I would only even think about that if the car is brand new and under warranty.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back