MoDTC versus Organic Friction Modifiers, time/temp

Status
Not open for further replies.
STLE Presentation Paper

Interesting testing, with GMO (Glycerol Monooleate), MoDTC, and a "secret" experimental organic friction modifier, on a friction testing machine.

Establish the tribofilm, and the friction reduction associated with it, heat soak and monitor.

Change oil to no FM additive, and test.

Change back to FM oil, and retest.

Quite some mnay moons ago, I had dinner with a chemist who was working on Magnatec (Castrol Start-up), and he claimed that their ester gave improved friction when the reference oil (and the between test flushing oil) was used between Magnatec runs.

Guess the experimental FM indicates that it's certainly possible that an additive can survive an OCI...and MoDTC at the temperatures and times tested didn't fare so well.

That's a very interesting read. Particularly in regards to the COF rise due to FM degradation and relation to temperature. I found the increase of ZDDP and slower FM degradation very poigniant since I like to dose all of my oils with ZDDP additive. It gave me the warm and fuzzies.

Good read. Thanks for posting the link Shannow.

Wow.

So if I understand that correctly zddp delays the degradation of the friction modifier,so an oil with both will do better than an oil with just one or the other.

Thanks Shannow. Cool read

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back