2014 Jeep GC EcoDiesel 3.0 - Rotella T5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not that I put much stock in wear metal counts but isn't that really low for an engine that's just breaking in.
We've seen iron counts of from 50-100 ppm on breaking on engines.
I wouldn't have used any mos2 til 10000 miles just to insure proper break in however by the looks of this and how low wear metals are I wonder in its hindered anything.
Thanks for posting.

Is this the same Diesel engine going into the ram trucks. If this is any indication they should be a long lived unit mechanically.

I thought Diesel engine can go WAY longer between oil changes? I have seen some uoa with 20k and plenty of life left with low wear metals

Course it can, but i'll do short OCI's while its still breaking in. I drive 3000 miles per month, we'll get there.

Other issue is low SAPS oil, I don't trust it enough yet to stretch out an OCI. Some TDI VW/BMW i've seen had 100+ ppm iron after 10k miles, thats bad.

Last edited:
Fraser, I've been watching your Ecodiesel posts for the past couple months. I have one also. Why did you choose T5 instead of T6?

I tow a 7400lb 24' enclosed trailer with my Ram. The towing capacity of my truck is 7800lb per it's VIN so I'm pretty close to it's rated capacity. On my first roadtrip 220mi each way, oil temp hit 240deg. Since that's higher then I'm used to in a car, I got to thinking along the lines of full synthetic. Why did you choose a synthetic blend instead?

I prefer oils with less VI improvers, 10W30 doesn't need much, i'm finding engines burn oil typically at start up with thinner oil. I'd like the oil to be within the 30 weight viscosity, doesn't appear to need over 12cSt@100c. Later this summer i'll try Schaffer SAE30 oil.

Far as difference between T5 and T6, they call Synthetic, however I believe T6 is just a group III hydrocracked dino oil. In fall i'll try T6 when it drops below 32F.

Originally Posted By: RangerGress
I tow a 7400lb 24' enclosed trailer with my Ram. The towing capacity of my truck is 7800lb per it's VIN so I'm pretty close to it's rated capacity. On my first roadtrip 220mi each way, oil temp hit 240deg. Since that's higher then I'm used to in a car, I got to thinking along the lines of full synthetic.

240 degF is not too hot, even for a conventional lube; you don't "need" a syn if that is typical for your conditions. When GM did their infamous "filter" study, they held the temp at 250F for the entirety of the testing. I would get concerned if you saw sustained temps over 275F. I would not worry in the least bit if 240"ish" or less is what you're seeing.

Quote:
Later this summer i'll try Schaffer SAE30 oil

SO, you dumped the factory fill at 3000 miles if I read the report correctly?

The Ram 1500 Ecodiesel is rated to go 10k miles between oil changes. The cartridge-style oil filter for the Ram is like $60 from the dealer.

How about the Schaeffer Supreme 7000™ Synthetic Plus Engine Oil SAE 10W-30
or the Supreme 9000 in 5w-30?

I use the 7000 20w-50 in my Harley and like it a lot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: rossn2
Quote:
Later this summer i'll try Schaffer SAE30 oil

SO, you dumped the factory fill at 3000 miles if I read the report correctly?

The Ram 1500 Ecodiesel is rated to go 10k miles between oil changes. The cartridge-style oil filter for the Ram is like $60 from the dealer.

Yes dumped at 3000. I'd rather dump the factory oil early.

With Non Bio Diesel they say 10k; B5-B20 8k miles for OCI

Every diesel pump i've seen in the midwest says it could be up to B20, so realistically the EcoDiesel should be 8k OCI.

Last edited:
So, you are still in the warranty period and you choose to ignore Chrysler's MS-11106 specified oils.

Only two oils are currently spec'd - both 5w30 - Pennzoil Ultra Euro L and Mobil1 ESP. I hope you do not experience any internal issues with your turbo motor!

+1

Originally Posted By: philbytx
So, you are still in the warranty period and you choose to ignore Chrysler's MS-11106 specified oils.

Only two oils are currently spec'd - both 5w30 - Pennzoil Ultra Euro L and Mobil1 ESP.

Originally Posted By: philbytx

Only two oils are currently spec'd - both 5w30 - Pennzoil Ultra Euro L and Mobil1 ESP. I hope you do not experience any internal issues with your turbo motor!

Then I guess you would be happy to hear it has Euro L in it now, free LOF from the dealer. I'll run it 8k then have it analyzed.

FYI, when Chrysler was with Daimler, the Chrysler MS-11106 was listed as in parenthesis MB 229.51. So it's not some exclusive spec, just another label for 229.51. Once Daimler split any reference to an MB spec was removed.

Euro L or 229.51 oils are more about protecting the exhaust after treatment then the engine. So I'm not worried about running Rotella for the engines sake, its questionable if it will contaminate the DPF quicker, hope that makes sense for you?

Last edited:
Thanks for the report, looks great.

your not alone... I'm not sure if I could force myself to use anything other than Rotella T5 or T6. Such fantastic lubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back