Which additive to clean the fuel sender?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The level gauge of my 200k mile Z3 is stuck on empty - even when the tank is full. In the past, when it used to go whacky, a tank of high octane would put it right for 6-12 months. Now......nada.
Before I cut the carpet to access the fuel sender, I wondered which product is better to possibly clean out any surface contaminants: I'm thinking between Redline SI-1 and BG44K.
Any insights would be welcome...

I'd give Red Line or Techron a try. Maybe two back to back tank fulls of gas. I had good luck with MMO as well, but I think the other two are better cleaners.

+1 for Techron, it worked great for me when gas gauge was getting wacky, ran out of gas twice cuz of it when not paying attention.
I don't know about in UK but here can be pretty cheap too, both Advance Auto & Auto Zone have buy 1 get 1 free sale right now.

Originally Posted By: gman2304
Chevron Techron concentrate, not the progard.

+2? lol

Techron really is a miracle in a bottle lol.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
I found tc-w3 or mmo in the fuel seem to help the sending units.

Every time I have ever had an issue with a fuel gauge, a wire was broken on the float unit in the tank. But I am old, and it hasn't happened in over 30 years, so what do I know?

If you have BG44K use it... Great stuff but costly. Redline may also work but I do know that BG44K can help with fuel senders... I had that issue in an old Mustang and it did the trick.

Boss,
I got a similar recommendation from a performance car restorer who said that BG44K is more aggressive than Redline. He uses the Redline in between BG44K uses( which he uses every 10k miles).
When the tank is virtually empty I'll give it a shot with a tank of 98 Octane. Hope for the best...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back