Larger tire size

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only tire size available for my 08 Focus is a 50R. The tire I want only goes as low as 55R. What would happen if I put on these tires instead of OEM?

If it's 205/50/16, then you could potentially run 195/55/16 instead. Load index is the same, and the overall diameter would be less than 2% different from stock.

OEM tire is 205/50R-16. The tire I want doesn't come that small. Nearest size is 205/55R-16.

OEM size diameter is 24.1", 205/55-16 is 24.9" about 3.4% larger than OEM.

Is it okay with your car, hard to tell.

I tried 245/45-17 instead of OEM 235/45-17 on my E430 10-11 years ago, the ABS malfunction within 100 miles such that I had to go back to OEM size, and the ABS malfunction light went off within a mile of driving.

Car is a 2008 Ford Focus. Apologies for not including all information in earlier posts. The tire guy at Sears appears knowledgeable and has no qualms about this. However, it is Sears…… :-/

Tires are currently being installed. We will know soon. I have 30 days to like them so if anything goes wrong, I can take them back.

According to Discount tire, a 215/50R16 will fit, but they don't list the 205/55R16. That's probably because it's over 3% different in diameter. They don't like recommending anything more than that.

I got 205/55R-16 Hankook Road Handlers on the car. Drove 20 miles home with no issue. The vibration from previous tires is gone. I realize this is a statistically insignificant distance, but so far, so good.

Originally Posted By: outoforder
I got 205/55R-16 Hankook Road Handlers on the car. Drove 20 miles home with no issue. The vibration from previous tires is gone. I realize this is a statistically insignificant distance, but so far, so good.

Your spedometer and odometer will be slightly off due to the computer pre-supposing a few more wheel revs per mile. Might slightly effect metrics such as instant & average fuel economy.

I recently took possession of a vehicle with larger than stock diameter. It slows it down a little off the line, and accelerating within city speeds, but takes less gas to maintain highway speed. Car seems to have more momentum and takes a little more brake to bring it to a stop. I imagine it will wear the brake pads a bit sooner than stock diameter or smaller.

Last edited:
Quote:
OEM tire is 205/50R-16

205 mm across the width of the tire body (approximate)
50% aspect ratio = width to height ratio, so the tire from bead to tread is about 52.5 mm high
R = radial
16 = wheel rim diameter in inches

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back