Harley Davidson Owners w/100,000 Miles on Bike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, I forgot we rode from Ft Hood to West Monroe, LA two weekends ago to visit the Duck Commander HQ and eat some Mudbugs...almost 900 miles in two days!
And, we did it on a Harley!

The former pastor of my church is on his 2nd 100,000+ mile Harley. No rebuilds. The ignorance being spewed in this thread is once again amazing.

I'm neutral on Harleys, I don't dislike them, but then again I'm not terribly particular to them either. I opine the following:

The only bikes that routinely reach 100,000 miles are Goldwings and R & K series BMWs.

Harleys are quite capable of reaching 100,000, but their owners are seldom willing to ride them that far.

Anything else rarely reaches that type of mileage, you can usually stick a fork in them long before 100,000.

The wife and I have rode our Davidson on several occasions 500-700 miles a day depending on scenery. Rode metrics for 44 years then bought my first Davidson. I'll never go back to a metric.

Hands fall asleep no matter if it's a Davidson or metric.

...guys we get that half of you are harley fans, the others harley haters... perhaps a little input on maintenance.

I was at an import shop, but we serviced everything.

You mean 100,000 miles on the back of a trailer right? Never seen a Harley reach 100,000 miles on the original drivetrain.

dude in NH has 140k on a mid-90s HD...big dresser, I think an Electraglide. His only major repair was a bad clutch last year. Its mechanically stock except for exhaust& tuned carbs.

Originally Posted By: 1foxracing
You mean 100,000 miles on the back of a trailer right? Never seen a Harley reach 100,000 miles on the original drivetrain.

Are your eyes open.

I ride with quite a few guys who are on stock Harley's and they are hitting 100000 miles with ease.
It's the guys who modify that shorten their bikes lifespan from what I've seen

I have a 19 year old Electraglide in my garage with a K&N filter on it...so you might be right. My sons 2007 CVO Roadking has Avon tires on it...so I guess you are right.

I have a 2014 Road King, it's my plan to keep it completely stock except for a muffler change. It has the 103 High Output engine, new for 2014. It has more than enough power as is, runs beautifully, I can be on the freeway in 6th gear, and at 60 MPH, without downshifting can pass other vehicles effortlessly.

I hope to get 100k plus out the engine.

Previously I had a 1990 Springer Softail, never used oil, the only weak link was the battery, had to change it out yearly, of course that was 1990 technology.

Originally Posted By: BigCahuna
Now for something that proves all the Harley hater's wrong. You won't find a metric bike with these miles on it. http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/46024032.html

I think you missed the penultimate paragraph:

"He bought the bike new in Madison. To get to a million miles, he refurbished or overhauled the engine nine times, installed two new engines and went through 105 rear tires and nine seats. He says he's documented the million miles with receipts for gas and repairs."

So each engine/rebuild/refurbish lasted less than 100k miles. Doesn't seem like a particularly good machine to me. Proves what I wrote earlier, Harleys can't go 100k without a rebuild and any that do are the exception rather than the rule. Thanks for the fodder, and helping me prove my point.

And let's not forget that this same guy is being denied a warranty claim. Because he had too many flags. ROFLMAO!!!

Overpriced Milwaukee junk.

Originally Posted By: Jarlaxle
Serious question: when was the last time you saw a 100% stock Harley?

As I said in my first post in this thread, my friends 2003 FLHTCUI is at approx. 120k miles, all stock, and no repairs. Just regular preventative maintenance performed at his Harley dealer.

I saw it about a month ago, and took it for a short ride. It still feels like it did when he bought it brand new, and asked my opinion then after a short ride.

It appears that "29662" doesn't like Harleys.

Do all the other bike manufacturers have service bays?

For the sake of argument, let's assume that Harley's are a piece of [censored], and the owners only ride them 5,000 miles per year, and they can only get 75,000 miles out of the engine before the jugs blow up, that still gives us 15 years of pleasure!!

I am 58, so I should be able to enjoy the bike until I am 73 without an engine rebuild.

Originally Posted By: RevRider
It appears that "29662" doesn't like Harleys.

Do all the other bike manufacturers have service bays?

Yeah, I don't particularly care for them. That's why I wouldn't buy one. What "gets my goat" is all of the fallacies and inaccuracies that are spread by the "faithful" in order to placate themselves. Just trying to set the record straight.

Like I said before though, my riding buddy, whom i've ridden with more than anyone else rides an '07 road king with 60k+ miles. And apart from a starter his hasn't given him any problems; full disclosure.lol...

And of course other bike manufacturers have service bays, though they are rarely as full as Harley's.

Last edited:
31,000 miles in 31 days, 1500 miles in 24 hours....I can imagine he has duck walked his Harley in and out of his garage more miles than most of the haters have ridden they're..'fill in the blank' bikes! And he's from Wisconsin...not exactly motorcycle friendly weather a good part of the year. The ex senator has my vote....!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back