Weigh in: Seriously or jocularly

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, In brief; I have just put a beauty of a car back on the road.
It's my departed mother's 1999 Saab 9-5 SE w/the 2.3L 4 cylinder engine, a bit of a rarity. I had been maintaining the car during her decade of ownership.
It's a great vehicle with a complete maintenance and repair history.

Alas, emotions were involved. The car was run only occasionally for the past two years; but it was run.

I just got it inspected yesterday. At 92,000 miles; we're back!
The last oil change (Mobil1 0W-40 always) was 32 months ago at 89,500 mi.

So I ask you all, do I squeeze out a month or two of service from the 2.75 year old oil or do I change it immediately? Kira

ps Glad to have it back so strong!

Originally Posted By: Kira
So I ask you all, do I squeeze out a month or two of service from the 2.75 year old oil or do I change it immediately? Kira

It depends on how it was driven. If the car was always driven a decent amount to allow oil to get up to temp and stay at temp long enough to burn off moisture/fuel, then that would be good.

Still, at close to 3 years, I'd just go ahead and change it. What's stopping you from doing it now?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
Originally Posted By: Kira

It depends on how it was driven. If the car was always driven a decent amount to allow oil to get up to temp and stay at temp long enough to burn off moisture/fuel, then that would be good.

Still, at close to 3 years, I'd just go ahead and change it. What's stopping you from doing it now?

+1. Is the 2.3 the turbo or was that the 2.0? If turbo, change for sure.

How was it stored? Condensation could have rusted your oil filter, if it's in a can, not an element.

2500 miles on M1 0W-40? It's fine, leave it alone. Change it at 5000 or whenever you feel like it. My buddy went 8 years on his rarely driven Lincoln w regular M1 5W-30...no problems, it didn't care.

Hello, Changed it today. Smelled worse than it looked.
Funny, I had used a Purolater 20195 instead of the time honored 10241. People here or more likely the Saabnet, posted about the 20195's larger capacity, so I went with one 32 months ago.
The long filter was "barber poled" with drips of oil. I'd NEVER seen that before ever.
I went with a regular length filter I had in my stash. Kira

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back