BMW approved 0W-20 for N20 turbo four cyl.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: jrustles
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

About 15 years since Honda introduced S2000 in 1999 nobody can match its performance even with current newer technologies.

Anybody 'can match its performance'. The F20/22C is really nothing special. If it impresses you that much, then I dunno what to tell you.

Which production engine other than few hand made Ferrari engines can make more than 120 HP per liter without Super or Turbo charged ? You can talk all you want, but you need some evidences to support your claim.

Those Ferrari engines are several years after Honda break through the 120 HP per liter barrier.

I post my opinion about this because BMW had my respect in their engineering power, same for Audi, and this is related to topic "BMW N20 turbo four cyl.". I expected the auto industry should by now produce high efficient engines that can generate 140-150 HP per liter or more without resorting to turbo charged.

You clearly don't get it. Not only are there multiple production engines that exceed F20s specific peak HP output "per liter", but you still think that's somehow difficult to do.

"Efficient" is a great word, very suggestive, but what do YOU mean be quoting it? Are you talking about thermal efficiency, or volumetric efficiency? Do you know the difference between the two?

Originally Posted By: IndyIan

I don't know if it would be awful in a sedan, but it would take a properly geared manual trans or programmed auto to make it livable and it wouldn't be for everyone.
I do suspect that the S2000 2.2L motor probably makes very similar low end torque to a 4cyl Accord which lots of people are happy with, so it might be OK in that weight of vehicle, but for most people, they would rather have the torque of the V6 to get 240hp, than the handling benefits of a lighter front end.

Suspect no longer, there are dyno charts abound.

And no, lol, don't fool yourself. F20C would be frikkin awful in a sedan, dude. It can barely get out of it's own way pre-crossover, can you imagine driving around all day in traffic at 6000rpm+ ALL THE TIME?

There would be plenty of noise all the time, that thrashing horrible sounding valvetrain all the time. You will begin to despise rotational inertial energy, when you have to rev to 8K each time you want to move off the line. You'll hate the fuel economy of always having to operate on the high cam, and how FUEL INEFFICIENT the engine is forced to run, all the time, just to maintain enough RPMs to multiply a modest amount of torque into the required work to move your BMW. It would be absolutely terrible to drive. Trying to cruise at 4500rpm at 65 just to keep the engine making any non-dangerous amount of power for maybe a lane change. Well, I shouldn't speak for you. Maybe you'd prefer a loud, noisy sedan with zero pedal response, low maximum torque and bad fuel economy, IDK.

I swear, it's like kids who think you can eat chocolate all day as their only meal and wont get sick and tired of it. Chocolate is the best food and no high end restaurant has an all chocolate entree, therefore they suck and can't replicate it. lol

No sooner would I want a Hayabusa engine in my Mercedes Benz...... or a K24 in my 1/2 ton pickup. Again, at times like this, I'm so glad engineers package vehicles, and not consumers. Has anyone seen the old Simpsons episode where Homer designs his own car?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: OVERKILL
Remember, HP (work), in an automobile engine, is a product of torque and RPM. It is a measure of work being performed.
THIS is why boosted engines are in vogue. Good fuel economy, good power output, great torque with a FLAT curve and a sane RPM range.

HP is power, not work (energy), the time derivative of work. Nice to get the fundamentals right.

Instead of long winded posts that say the same thing over and over again, why not just say that high displacement-specific power outputs, as in F1 racing, require free breathing, short stroke engine designs.

To get this thread back on track:

The Fuchs GT1 EVO 0W-20 oil is interesting, getting the new BMW LL-14 approval, and one wonders whether BMW will now back-spec it to BMW LL-01 cars. Anybody know? ... This could be a problem if SOPUS, who recently won the BMW dealership oil supply contract (from Castrol present/past) in the U.S., doesn't get a 0W-20 available with the LL-14 approval.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Remember, HP (work), in an automobile engine, is a product of torque and RPM. It is a measure of work being performed.
THIS is why boosted engines are in vogue. Good fuel economy, good power output, great torque with a FLAT curve and a sane RPM range.

HP is power, not work (energy), the time derivative of work.

I've discussed it with Overkill to death. He still does not get it, but maybe you will have better luck explaining that HP is not work.

The 0W-20 oil raises some questions I have that engineering researchers have wondered about for years. In the great tech summary of the research, "Improved Fuel Efficiency by Lubricant Design : A Review by R.I. Taylor & R.C. Coy
Shell Research & Technology Centre, Thornton, United Kingdom
... they mention all the attributes apparent to fluid dynamics researchers that might make a 0W-20 work just fine.

"Bearing durability is also an area of concern, although it should be remembered that there
are three important physical effects which help ensure bearings survive. One is that typical
automotive lubricants have viscosities that are very sensitive to pressure (the commonly
used Barus equation suggests that viscosity increases exponentially with pressure), and so
as oil film thickness decrease, pressures rise, leading to higher oil viscosities, which help
support the bearing loads. Secondly, the squeeze term in Reynolds’ equation (which is often
neglected) helps ensure thicker oil films. Thirdly, and perhaps most importantly, bearings
deform when pressures are too high, again helping to sustain oil film thicknesses.
Over the years it has also been postulated that the inherent viscoelasticity of multigrade oils
bestows a load bearing benefit on bearings. Okrent
suggested that at higher eccentricity
ratios, the elasticity of a multigrade oil (which arises due to the polymer additives in the oil)
gives a larger load bearing capacity that would be the case for an equivalent viscosity oil
that did not have any elastic behaviour. Such an effect has been confirmed experimentally by
Williamson et al
In our laboratory, it has been observed that in a modern gasoline engine, well designed
automotive bearings can be lubricated with oils as thin as 2.3 mPa.s without any observable
wear on either con-rod or main bearings.
The assumption that lower viscosity lubricants automatically give rise to thinner oil films in
key lubricated contacts in a gasoline engine is also open to question, particularly in the case
of piston rings. Laser Induced Fluorescence measurements have found that, in a Nissan
gasoline engine, the mid-stroke top ring oil film thickness was greater for an SAE-5W/20
lubricant than it was for an SAE-15W/40 lubricant. "

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

I've discussed it with Overkill to death. He still does not get it, but maybe you will have better luck explaining that HP is not work.

Energy concepts are elusive to a lot of people to be fair. Maybe to explain it, we could say: Energy is the amount of work we do, and power is how fast we do work.

:

The Fuchs GT1 EVO 0W-20 oil is interesting, getting the new BMW LL-14 approval, and one wonders whether BMW will now back-spec it to BMW LL-01 cars. Anybody know? ... This could be a problem if SOPUS, who recently won the BMW dealership oil supply contract (from Castrol present/past) in the U.S., doesn't get a 0W-20 available with the LL-14 approval.

The BMW LL-01 FE 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.0cP) has been available as an option in Europe for a few years now for a number of models. A while back I checked with my local BMW dealership parts guy that I know and there is a part number for the oil and I could put an order in for it but what would happen is that the order would receive permanent "back-order" status if BMW Canada has no interest in bringing it in. I'm sure this is the same situation in the States and this would likely be the same situation for the new 0W-20 with LL-14 FE approval.

So if one wants to source either oil here in NA, BMW won't help you, you're on your own.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
HTSS_TR said:
jrustles said:
HTSS_TR said:
No sooner would I want a Hayabusa engine in my Mercedes Benz...... or a K24 in my 1/2 ton pickup.

BMW does with the normally aspirated M3 and some M5s and M6s in the past. And then there's the Ferrari engined Maserati sedans.

Yeah, it's an old game. Why isn't every motor vehicle fitted with small, race tuned, naturally aspirated engines? Surely, impressive volumetric efficiency can be achieved, what else is there?
wink.gif

:

The BMW LL-01 FE 0W-30 (HTHSV 3.0cP) has been available as an option in Europe for a few years now for a number of models. A while back I checked with my local BMW dealership parts guy that I know and there is a part number for the oil and I could put an order in for it but what would happen is that the order would receive permanent "back-order" status if BMW Canada has no interest in bringing it in. I'm sure this is the same situation in the States and this would likely be the same situation for the new 0W-20 with LL-14 FE approval.

So if one wants to source either oil here in NA, BMW won't help you, you're on your own.

In my estimation, North America would be the perfect market (U.S.'s CAFE, etc.) for a BMW LL-14 0W-20, and I was wondering if BMW (even in Europe) plans to say its OK to use the LL-14 in place of LL-01. ?? Still, it will take a long time for LL-14 to be trusted for durability in racing/tracked BMW engines, as their are good 30 and 40 weights for that extra peace-of-mind, giving up a little power and fuel economy though. Of course, Ford, Toyota, Mazda, GM, etc. have approved 20 weights, gradually getting people less nervous about them over the last 10 years.

Yeah, it's an old game. Why isn't every motor vehicle fitted with small, race tuned, naturally aspirated engines? Surely, impressive volumetric efficiency can be achieved, what else is there?
wink.gif

High revving, high output engines sound great to some (screamers), fun factor. Fast'n'Furious crowd. S2000 is fun to wind up, others like that.

wink.gif

High revving, high output engines sound great to some (screamers), fun factor. Fast'n'Furious crowd. S2000 is fun to wind up, others like that.

Hey, I like that too! It's fun, particlarly in low-mass vehicles. It's even more fun when you have the torque from the bottom right to the top
wink.gif

HTSS_TR said:
jrustles said:
HTSS_TR said:
No sooner would I want a Hayabusa engine in my Mercedes Benz...... or a K24 in my 1/2 ton pickup.

BMW does with the normally aspirated M3 and some M5s and M6s in the past. And then there's the Ferrari engined Maserati sedans.

wink.gif

I was considering getting an early 2000's Corolla XRS with the 170hp 1.8, and the first cam profile was just the normal 1.8 corolla one. So until you rev'd up, it basically drove the same as a normal corolla. Its a peaky motor still, but low end driveability is obviously still acceptable.
Most of the dyno charts I found for the S2000 show the same thing, its a normal 2.2L motor until you get the second cam involved. Obviously its not going to be as fast or as flexible as a 240hp 3.5L V6 or a 240hp 2.0L turbo motor, but its not a slobbering cammed out race motor that barely runs below 4k rpm either.

Good questions.
It would seem just a matter of time with the mandated aggressive fuel economy targets that are on the horizon for all OEMs including BMW NA to start specifying these more fuel efficient motor oils.

In the meantime I've shot off an email to the Canadian Fuchs importer whom I bought some of the original ester based, Zn free Fuchs 0W-20 directly from a couple of years ago, to see if this new BMW approved 0W-20 is available yet, and if not whether they will be importing it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What is the HT/HS of this Fuchs oil? Sorry if I missed it...

I haven't found any PDS spec's yet and when we do HTHSV won't likely be on it.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
What is the HT/HS of this Fuchs oil? Sorry if I missed it...

I haven't found any PDS spec's yet and when we do HTHSV won't likely be on it.

Certainly its got to be above an HTHS minimum of 2.3 (probably around 2.6 or so), if you go by Shell's "Improved Fuel Efficiency by Lubricant Design : A Review

"In our laboratory, it has been observed that in a modern gasoline engine, well designed
automotive bearings can be lubricated with oils as thin as 2.3 mPa.s without any observable wear on either con-rod or main bearings."

Like the Fuchs Titan GT1 EVO 0w-20, the recent oils certified to the dexos1 performance level share the same cam scuffing wear test referenced in the http://www.generaloils.net/2014-02-12_AIS-InfoFuchs_TITAN-GT1-EVO-0W-20_EN.PDF document (see http://www.motor-talk.de/forum/aktion/Attachment.html?attachmentId=713531 ).

Therefore, it could be the recent 0W-20 oils at the dexos1 performance level might be comparable to what Fuchs has here with LL-14 in a 0W-20, at least dexos1 0W-20 is available in North America.

HP is power, not work (energy), the time derivative of work. Nice to get the fundamentals right.

Derp, got the term wrong, you are correct. HP is a measure of power, the rate at which work is performed.

The quote should have read:

Remember, HP (power), in an automobile engine, is a product of torque and RPM. It is a measure of work being performed.

Quote:
Instead of long winded posts that say the same thing over and over again, why not just say that high displacement-specific power outputs, as in F1 racing, require free breathing, short stroke engine designs.

Because I like making long winded posts?
21.gif

Originally Posted By: KrisZ

Easy now! I thought our discussions on the topic went pretty well in the past, LOL!
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back