Shell helix ultra non gtl vs Mobil super 3000x1

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been using this Mobil with great succses in my car.Oil consumption went from almost a 0.7l to 0.3l per 1k km.Before that i was running some HDEO 5w30 but this engines run hot and it did leave some hard varnish arond cam area.Both oils are recommended A3/B4 5w40 but shell is 229.5 and FIAT Z2 spec. and Mobile is only 229.3.The question is does shell have claimed detergents and would fight deposits better than Mobile?Car in question is Fiat 16v essentially the same engine as 500 but no multiair. Thank you Guys in advance.

In the US, Pennzoil Ultra has been claiming 25% better piston cleaning than Mobil1, so presumably even higher % against something like Mobil Super. Alas, these are just generic claims for the non-Euro Ultra grades. I have no idea how that would relate to the Euro grades such as the one you mentioned.

If it's runing hot then (IMO) you need to go throughthe coolant system, radiator, matrix, hoses,thermostat, and that should help cool it off abit.

Ester based oils are reputed to be very good at cleaning, as is VTA to reduce the contaminant intake.

Try a diesel flush first as a cheap option and see if it helps
wink.gif

If it's runing hot then (IMO) you need to go throughthe coolant system, radiator, matrix, hoses,thermostat, and that should help cool it off abit.

Ester based oils are reputed to be very good at cleaning, as is VTA to reduce the contaminant intake.

Try a diesel flush first as a cheap option and see if it helps
wink.gif

I believe they run hot by design.Coolant was changed and system flushed.Last summer there was days with 40+ celsius and water temp stayed normal even with AC.I had 5w30 from truck and was cheap enough to use it.Price of this shell is unbelievable at 5 Euro/liter.

With this price you may want to try the Helix...I believe it is this version (last formulation prior to PurePlus).

This is how the VOA looks like .

VOA of Mobil 3000 5w-40

6,8 % (hm, I doubt it) Noack for Helix against 10,8 % for Mobil 3000.
Helix claims to "meet the requirements of FIAT Fiat 9.55535.Z2" but it is not officially certified.

Another VOA with a more plausible Noack number
here .

I don't believe you plan to run the oil for more than 15K kilometers...then I'd grab the cheaper of the two .

With Noack >10% Mobil 3000 5w-40 can not pass the lab requirements for 229.5 category...wonder how it'd have performed in the engine tests...seems that often simlpy a lab limit would not let a great oil apply for this category.

Out of curiousity, what was the 5w-30 HDEO you used?

Last edited:
Cheers Rollin.The Shell in question is the old one.5w30 i used was some Petronas that that my fathers firm use in their IVECO-s,MB,MAN and so_Oil behaved really bad with high oil consumption,burning oil smell from engine and occasionally blue smoke.Lesson learnd,nothing comes free.Still i think that even old ultra is better then Mobil so i gonna try it.Tnx mate for effort.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: chrisri
I've been using this Mobil with great succses in my car.Oil consumption went from almost a 0.7l to 0.3l per 1k km.Before that i was running some HDEO 5w30 but this engines run hot and it did leave some hard varnish arond cam area.Both oils are recommended A3/B4 5w40 but shell is 229.5 and FIAT Z2 spec. and Mobile is only 229.3.The question is does shell have claimed detergents and would fight deposits better than Mobile?Car in question is Fiat 16v essentially the same engine as 500 but no multiair. Thank you Guys in advance.

I think SHell is better in this case.
Vidio sam na INA pumpama taj Mobil, ali nije kao Shell
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back