Lubegard Engine Oil Protectant improves oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
by reducing wear, friction, oxidation and extending oil life. They test and names names while doing it:

Lubegard site

Their testing specifically calls out improvements when used with Pennzoil, Quaker state, Havoline, Castrol and Mobil 1. There is also an independent test at the bottom.

Last edited:
How old is this page/content?

The bottles they picture haven't been sold for decades. Maybe they should re-test it against modern API SN oils.

It doesn't show SN oil compatibility. It lists many others but SN is conspicuously missing. I wouldn't consider adding anything to my oil.

Originally Posted By: johnachak
It doesn't show SN oil compatibility. It lists many others but SN is conspicuously missing. I wouldn't consider adding anything to my oil.

The site says "ALL including..." The data sheet didn't show anything past SL but they had updated the site for API SM. There is nothing drastically different with API SN. This type of product doesn't really interact with the additives anyway. It shouldn't matter what API level of oil you are talking about.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
Originally Posted By: johnachak

The site says "ALL including..." The data sheet didn't show anything past SL but they had updated the site for API SM. There is nothing drastically different with API SN. This type of product doesn't really interact with the additives anyway. It shouldn't matter what API level of oil you are talking about.

There's an additive we both agree on.
11.gif
Good luck convincing the anti-additive crowd that it has any value though.
smile.gif
36.gif

Originally Posted By: tig1
M1 does not recommend any additives to their oil. Here is the link.
http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Using_Oil_Stabilizers.aspx

The former head of Mobil's lubrication research group is the brains behind the technology.

http://www.lubegard.com/LXE.aspx

That doesn't change anything. M1 still doesn't recommend using any additive to their product.

http://www.mobiloil.com/USA-English/MotorOil/Car_Care/AskMobil/Using_Oil_Stabilizers.aspx

I am not knocking LubeGard products and I have used them with good success...or should I say, no issues!

And though I think that LubeGard products have their place, they are now in 2014, not really needed as much as they were over a decade ago...or longer!

IIRC, ILI started out with ATF products and moved into other areas of additives for P/S, Diff's, Engines, and more ATF Suppliments. They're ATF Suppliments/Additives were originaly designed for tranny shops to help reduce cost by not having to stock so many OE Specific ATFs.

IMHO, they're products may be the best in their catigory but for most of us and the newer the vehicles get, are just not as relivent anylonger.

I got Lubegard Bio-Tech with PYB in my '98 Saturn SC2 right now. PO put only Generic Bulk Oil in it before.

After I put it in, I could feel the engine "free up" & rev more easily & freely.

The Oil is BLACK after only 1K miles!!

There's some serious cleaning going on...
banana2.gif

I sincerely doubt that this additive adds anything useful that is not in a good oil already. This is a good example of the "If some is good, more is better, and too much is just right!" philosophy of homegrown engineering.

It may be somewhat useful for a specific problem, but what that problem is, and how Lubegard will make is better is anyone's guess.

The only thing I add to oil, ever, is Redline break in additive, in old tech engines (And Briggs&Stratton motors) that may need the extra ZDDP. Even then, only an ounce per quart.

Here we go again... Of course we all know that oil manufacturers are only going to put the best additives and absolutely everything else that is needed into a quart of our PCMO... they don't do anything that is profit driven in the motor oil industry!

(turn sarcasm off now)
smile.gif

The former head of Mobil's lubrication research group is the brains behind the technology.

That doesn't change anything. M1 still doesn't recommend using any additive to their product.

Come on.

Does any lubricant bottler suggest using oil additives in their products?
Of course not.

I can say with a straight face and without a doubt that I've had very good results in almost every engine using a different branded product,however I don't feel this product is required in new engines.
I'm not knocking lubegard and I'm confident that libricant manufacturers don't always make the best product they can.
They formulate it to a price point to meet minimum specifications as required by the oem.
Can they make a better product,of that I'm sure,but will the public bear the extra cost,probably not.
We can build a better mouse trap but to what cost,especially when the standard mousetrap is good enough,and cheap enough that the buying public doesn't care.
Besides in most cases the engine outlasts the vehicle it's placed in even with less than basic maintenance.
Let's concentrate in making the rest of the car last as long as the engine

Is Lubregard (liquid wax ester) at least similar in principle to Prolong (chlorinated paraffin) ???
Where is MolaKule when you need him.?

Originally Posted By: Clevy

Come on.

Does any lubricant bottler suggest using oil additives in their products?
Of course not.

I can say with a straight face and without a doubt that I've had very good results in almost every engine using a different branded product,however I don't feel this product is required in new engines.
I'm not knocking lubegard and I'm confident that libricant manufacturers don't always make the best product they can.
They formulate it to a price point to meet minimum specifications as required by the oem.
Can they make a better product,of that I'm sure,but will the public bear the extra cost,probably not.
We can build a better mouse trap but to what cost,especially when the standard mousetrap is good enough,and cheap enough that the buying public doesn't care.
Besides in most cases the engine outlasts the vehicle it's placed in even with less than basic maintenance.
Let's concentrate in making the rest of the car last as long as the engine

You have it backwards. Of course no one will suggest adding something to their oil. If you read the M1 link I provided M1 says additives can upset the formular itself and do not add anything to their oil. My 36 year history using M1 oils has proven to me nothing needs to be added to their product. However some other brands may need this product.

You have it backwards. Of course no one will suggest adding something to their oil. If you read the M1 link I provided M1 says additives can upset the formular itself and do not add anything to their oil. My 36 year history using M1 oils has proven to me nothing needs to be added to their product. However some other brands may need this product.

So you think Mobil hires idiots for the director of lubrication research positions?

So you think Mobil hires idiots for the director of lubrication research positions?

And Lubegard can research, test, formulate, market, distribute, finance, and produce a product that dramatically improves lubrication and sell said product at a very low cost to the consumer while remaining profitable.

Originally Posted By: FetchFar
Is Lubregard (liquid wax ester) at least similar in principle to Prolong (chlorinated paraffin) ???
Where is MolaKule when you need him.?

He's hiding in his
crazy2.gif
La-BORE-a-tory.
cool.gif

The liquid wax esters are esters synthesized from rapeseed acids and special alcohols.

They appear to have four advantages:

1. Aid in friction reduction,
2. have low-level anti-wear capabilities
3. aid in cleaning
4. are very stable in terms of resisting hydrolytic degradation.

Originally Posted By: dave1251

And Lubegard can research, test, formulate, market, distribute, finance, and produce a product that dramatically improves lubrication and sell said product at a very low cost to the consumer while remaining profitable.

Why not? I'm sure that's all factored into the price just like any other company selling a product for a profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back