graphene please!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Which of its properties do you think are relevant to motor oil?

Originally Posted By: yvon_la
ya graphene is expensive ,but its properties are so uber that I highly doubt it will be ignored!

sidenote:any have ever had rotary engine?(aka wankel in the mazda or other car brand,wouldnt a graphene film be perfect for those troublesome leak prone engine?

I cannot list all the properties of graphene,the list is too long but it is very different from graphite (wich had troublesome problem like corrosion

Actually yes I did, a very rusty 1984 model that burned a lot of oil. It was fun to drive though. They didn't "leak" oil as such, it was apex seal wear that was the problem. Oil consumption was a secondary problem, the primary issue was loss of compression.

If graphene is added to motor oil would it bond to surfaces?

sidenote:any have ever had rotary engine?(aka wankel in the mazda or other car brand,wouldnt a graphene film be perfect for those troublesome leak prone engine?

I cannot list all the properties of graphene,the list is too long but it is very different from graphite (wich had troublesome problem like corrosion

Originally Posted By: kschachn
Actually yes I did, a very rusty 1984 model that burned a lot of oil. It was fun to drive though. They didn't "leak" oil as such, it was apex seal wear that was the problem. Oil consumption was a secondary problem, the primary issue was loss of compression.

From what I've read with google searches no it doesn't. It's like Teflon from what I understand and doesn't work like mos2 in relation to "plating" moving parts

Actually yes I did, a very rusty 1984 model [Mazda Rotary] that burned a lot of oil. It was fun to drive though. They didn't "leak" oil as such, it was apex seal wear that was the problem. Oil consumption was a secondary problem, the primary issue was loss of compression.

Why not MoS2? It bonds to metal. It's available. I've never owned a Wankel engine, but problems with the apex seals are well known.

Well, actually I would if it had new apex and side seals, and I knew the compression was good.

Then again that particular car is now incorporated into a bunch of green bean cans, and even possibly my current cars
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: dave5358
Actually yes I did, a very rusty 1984 model [Mazda Rotary] that burned a lot of oil. It was fun to drive though. They didn't "leak" oil as such, it was apex seal wear that was the problem. Oil consumption was a secondary problem, the primary issue was loss of compression.

Why not MoS2? It bonds to metal. It's available. I've never owned a Wankel engine, but problems with the apex seals are well known.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back