Saab experts- have a mystery part on an oldie

Status
Not open for further replies.
On a 1985 Saab Q 900s (I believe), there is a part in the fuel system, near the tank that has three lines going into it. It can best be described as a small metal canister. The problem is that it's leaking fuel when the engine (pump) runs. The owner is convinced it's a fuel pressure regulator, but I'm not so sure. The parts website shows a different part and this has no vacuum lines. I don't believe it's a fuel filter, as it's under the hood. The parts sites don't show anything in the fuel system like it and I can't find a breakdown of the fuel system online...

Does anyone have any idea what it could be?

Wild, wild guess here....
A few decades ago, Dodge had a gizmo that looked like a fuel filter with three lines attached to it. If you followed the path of the fuel, one line went from the fuel tank, another went TO the tank, and another to the carb. It looked like a fuel filter (and in reality WAS a fuel filter), but was called a vapor diverter to help stop vapor lock. The third line was supposed to carry the bubbling gas vapor from the hot fuel back to the tank instead of having it go to the carb.
Any chance this Saab has something similar?

Bosch fuel accumulator.

And Mike above me beat me to it, And he's right!

Last edited:
Guys, I think you're definitely on to something. The link shows something similar, but not quite. Am searching now to see if I can find an exact match.

Thank you!

85 Saab 900's ran K-Jet injection, right? (I believe you guys call it CIS?)

If so, it's your fuel pressure accumulator - do you notice a difference to the amount of fuel that leaks, depending on wether you're facing uphill or downhill?

Other option is it could be the vapous seperator, sends liquid fuel to the injectors and vapour/bubbles that could lock the system get returned to the tank.

post a pic up and we'll know for definite..

123Saab and Trav, the part very well could be it. At first I was confident that it looked a little different and had different hoses, but now I'm not so sure of myself- after seeing those pictures. I took one quick glance at it when I was talking to the owner- our shop's neighbor, then set out to find it so my memory could be off.

Olas- you could well be right too, though I have no idea of what conditions make it leak more or less.

I'll stop by sometime today hopefully and snap a photo.

You guys hit the nail right, square on the head! I went and looked at it this morning and you're all absolutely correct. I told him what it was and about how much it would cost, then left the ball in his court.

Thank you guys for your help! It is appreciated.

Originally Posted By: The_Eric
You guys hit the nail right, square on the head! I went and looked at it this morning and you're all absolutely correct. I told him what it was and about how much it would cost, then left the ball in his court.

Thank you guys for your help! It is appreciated.

smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back